Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Surgery buddies for June ceveical

Comments

• So sorry to hear about your Mom. Just keep surgery I 'm sure your sister will be able to help. I can't imagine how your feeling. I will keep both of you in my prayers.
    Vicki
  • grammaof9 said:
    So sorry to hear about your Mom. Just keep surgery I 'm sure your sister will be able to help. I can't imagine how your feeling. I will keep both of you in my prayers.
    Thanks, left hospital to feed critters on the farm, but had to go right back again because she was refusing oxygen again. She let me put it on for her, and let me give her drinks of water without thinking someone was slipping something into it. The paranoia was better than earlier, still a little confused. Think I will plan on the surgery, need to get it done. The past 3 weeks have felt like months waiting for surgery day to get here. I grow all kind of things here and can just about everything and applesauce is one. I also read instant oatmeal. Sound like anything soft or cold. Have plenty stocked up. Glad to hear that talking will be possible. Do you still have very much mobility with a 4 level fusion?
    Cathy
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • advertisement
  • countrygirlccountrygirl Posts: 61
    edited 06/14/2013 - 11:27 AM
    countrygirl said:
    grammaof9 said:
    So sorry to hear about your Mom. Just keep surgery I 'm sure your sister will be able to help. I can't imagine how your feeling. I will keep both of you in my prayers.
    Thanks, left hospital to feed critters on the farm, but had to go right back again because she was refusing oxygen again. She let me put it on for her, and let me give her drinks of water without thinking someone was slipping something into it. The paranoia was better than earlier, still a little confused. Think I will plan on the surgery, need to get it done. The past 3 weeks have felt like months waiting for surgery day to get here. I grow all kind of things here and can just about everything and applesauce is one. I also read instant oatmeal. Sound like anything soft or cold. Have plenty stocked up. Glad to hear that talking will be possible. Do you still have very much mobility with a 4 level fusion?
    Mom is doing better today, she is back. yahoo. Now can concentrate on surgery Monday and finishing last minute things. My friend from work gave me a card from work where everyone signs it. Was so touched, then looked in the card and there was 750. to help pay for some of the doctor bills. Cried like a baby, and there is also volunteers to help cook, but think my husband and sister can handle that for a week or two, especially since I probably wont be eating real for til then anyway. Sure is nice to have people care so much. Not sure how to thank them all, since I drive a school bus, school was out on the
    June 12.
    Cathy
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • Almost lost mom last night, right now stable, they found internal blood vessel had burst. They cannot operate, just waiting to see if she stops bleeding. My Surgery is Monday and am afraid if she makes it that long that I will not see her again. Was a rough day for mom as well as sister and Myself. Thanks god for sisters. Got home and played with weirner dog, that sure can help to distress a bit. Thanks everyone, this is tough and even tougher with surgery.
    Cathy
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • countrygirl said:
    Almost lost mom last night, right now stable, they found internal blood vessel had burst. They cannot operate, just waiting to see if she stops bleeding. My Surgery is Monday and am afraid if she makes it that long that I will not see her again. Was a rough day for mom as well as sister and Myself. Thanks god for sisters. Got home and played with weirner dog, that sure can help to distress a bit. Thanks everyone, this is tough and even tougher with surgery.
    It's 11:30PM the night before surgery. Am tanking up on water so as not to be too dehydrated when they start the IV. Am pretty nervous, but really need this surgery as it was deemed urgent. Will post as soon as home and able.
    Cathy
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • advertisement
  • Had ACDF surgery Monday, surgeon was late with another surgery by about 8 hrs, Doc said surgery went very well. The first night was almost in tears from the neck spasms, but had read here so was kinda prepared. Drugs can be your best friend. Had to stay an extra night because I almost fainted and was very sick to my stomach from meds. My weak left side was still very weak yesterday, but mom did pass last night and think she talked to the big guy last night because when I woke my strength is coming back on left side. I am glad I got to say goodbye and spoke with her not too long before she passed, think she was hanging on to hear that I came though ok. The surgery pain is better than night before. Surgery sight doesn't even hurt at all, it is the back of neck, the muscles are really tight. I found that sleeping on my back with a pillow under knees works good with a fairly flat pillow.
    Cathy
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • Sorry about all you have to deal with at what is already a difficult time. At least you're on the road to recovery now.

I had 2-level ACDF 2 weeks ago for acute myelopathy. For me the pain and muscle spasm went away quickly so hopefully you'll be the same way. My biggest problem now is the pressure in my throat. And I can't lay flat and don't sleep much

Hang in there. It gets a bit better every day!
    2-level ACDF
    Acute myelopathy
  • So sorry to hear about you mom. I'm glad surgery went well - mines coming up but posteror - Please keep me posted - mine is a level 4 so I hope the muscle spasms aren't to bad but I'm still scared to death. Glad its over for you.
    Vicki
  • Thanks for your kind words. I was numb everywhere before surgery, and now only feet and patchy in places. have a new pain in my left leg thigh muscle, but have read here that new pains can come and go that is a part of healing. Vicki the anticipation of surgery is far worse than surgery, it is the unknown outcome I think for me. I am on liquid pain meds because I cant swallow pills too well yet. They didn't have a muscle relaxer in their perscriptions and have very tight muscle at back of neck, so I used some applesauce to put a pill in and worked well. My Myelopathy seems to be gone, the left side is weak but much stronger than before surgery. How much range of motion are you going to be loosing with a 4 level fusion?
    Cathy
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • Sorry about your Mom, Country Girl, but it's good that you got to say good-bye.

I'm glad that you seem to be doing OK with recovery, and the applesauce trick with pills worked. As far as flexibility after a 4 level ACDF - I have found that my surgeon was right that patients often feel that they have a better range of motion whether or not it is better. That is because the reduction in pain and tightness in the neck.

Take care,
    KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
advertisement