Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

June Surgery XLIF of L4/L5- How long are you taking off work?

Hello, after being told that I could have permanent nerve damage I've decided to go forward with XLIF on 6/21. My Dr. has told me that I'll be in the hospital for 1 day. He hasn't given me a timeline on when I'll be able to go back to work. I've taken off two weeks, i'm just wondering if that's long enough? I'm also concerned with how my little kids are going to handle all of this?
36 Year old mom of 4 awesome kido's, and married to the love of my life!

IT Assistant with the Federal Government.

L4/L5 XLIF 6/21/213 to correct nerve damage to my right leg.

Each day is a step forward, even if it's baby steps!
advertisement

Comments

• Be sure to join the June surgery buddies thread. There are quite a few of us.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/june-surgery-buddy
    Tanya
    L5-S1 fused in 1984 no hardware for a 1.4 cm grade 2 slip - fusion FAILED
    6-20-13 fused L4-L5-S1 with hardware
  • Fusion and only 1 night in the hospital? I'm a little surprised... I've never had a single level fusion, but I am assuming your surgeon does lost of them and knows how long to expect in the hospital. I do find it odd that he hasn't already give you expectations on healing times, etc... I can't suggest enough a second opinion just for your own peace of mind. Plus you need to have another appointment soon with your surgeon to hammer out these details. No one, including the surgeon, know for certain how long it takes to heal, but they can certain look at your age, current health, past history, type of surgery and give you an estimated time needed to be off work etc.

As far as your children, they will handle it beautifully. I promise. Feel free to PM me on that subject. I had a huge concern over that, even discussed it with my kid's pediatrician as well as one of my good friends who is a pediatrician in a different state. Your kids will be fine. Promise.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
  • AllMetal said:
    Fusion and only 1 night in the hospital? I'm a little surprised... I've never had a single level fusion, but I am assuming your surgeon does lost of them and knows how long to expect in the hospital. I do find it odd that he hasn't already give you expectations on healing times, etc... I can't suggest enough a second opinion just for your own peace of mind. Plus you need to have another appointment soon with your surgeon to hammer out these details. No one, including the surgeon, know for certain how long it takes to heal, but they can certain look at your age, current health, past history, type of surgery and give you an estimated time needed to be off work etc.

As far as your children, they will handle it beautifully. I promise. Feel free to PM me on that subject. I had a huge concern over that, even discussed it with my kid's pediatrician as well as one of my good friends who is a pediatrician in a different state. Your kids will be fine. Promise.
    Thank you so much for your comments, I truly appreciate them. My NS is my second opinion, he specializes in minimum invasive surgery and has done tons of successful XLIF I have done so much research on him and this surgery that now i'm to the point of looking for something bad, lol. Some patients leave on the same day, which is crazy in my opinion. He has been vague in telling me how long to take off work, basically a non-smoker who is in good health can go back to work in as little as one week. But, some it takes 4 weeks. He has said that it will take me 6 weeks to heal and that is when I will begin my PT.
    My oldest are 17 & 13 and they will be there to help and totally understand the pain i've been in. My 5 & 6 year olds, see mommy hurting so I will explain this is to make mommy better:) My pediatrician, agrees with you that they will do great! Wow, your just a few years younger than me and have been through allot with your back. Back pain is no fun, and has really been difficult to handle. Thanks again!

• I don't have a 6yo, but my 4, now 5 yo has handled everything very well. I have had 5 surgeries since last June... I have found that being upfront and put things in simple terms. My son is very analytical and wanted details. When he asked I was honest. "Will you bleed", Yes baby, but remember the doctors will be there to be sure mommy is ok"... "Will it hurt", "Yes baby, it will hurt... Mommy will probably hurt for a long time.... but that's part of life and it will not last forever." etc. He wanted to see my scars, I showed them to him. He wanted to know about staples/stitches, I explained those in simple terms. I understand this approach might not be appropriate for every child based on personalities, etc... You know your children, be very honest, and make the decisions on exactly what you tell them based on what you think they can handle. Honestly, I think this has been such a HUGE life lesson for my son. He now knows that pain isn't forever (usually.....), that you do heal.... that you do go through tough times... that you don't quit, you keep going... I got to actually "live" that for him, not just say it. Now honestly, I don't think my 2yo now 3yo understood much of that, all she understood was how much she missed me when I was in the hospital. But I will say, she now LOVES LOVES LOVES to snuggle and read books with me. I think that's because she's learned that's always a "Safe" way to get Mommy love. I will say you do need to let your small ones know EXACTLY what to expect... example, I'd always assure them things like, "When I kiss you bye at school tomorrow, I want you to remember ____________ will be picking you up..... Mommy will be in the hospital with Daddy, Daddy will take good care of me, etc. I'd also tell him things like Mommy might be home on Monday, but it could be Tuesday or Wednesday and that's ok because Mommy is healing and will be coming home, etc. Mommy might not be able to talk on the phone but Daddy will call you.... I would make him repeat to me who was picking him up, where I would be, etc. Because that made it so much easier for my friends who took care of them while I couldn't. That's must my input. I have no doubt that if you listen to yourself, you know your children better than anyone and will be able to know what/how much/etc to explain, and what might be appropriate for one of your small kids might not be for the other. You know this... listen to yourself. and remember how many more things you will be able to do with your babies once you are healed!!!!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • And quickly, when my major issues started last year my surgeon viewing my CT scan from the ER talked with my husband about a "surgery" that would be about one to two inch incision, one night in the hospital, could return carefully to work in one week but he would prefer I take two weeks off.... We were actually getting read to schedule that surgery that afternoon (it sounds very similar to what you are having and I'm sorry I don't remember the exact name of the procedure because like I said it was only one discussion) but the surgeon said, he wanted a standing x-ray so he could looks at some structural issues and then a nurse would come in and get me scheduled and he'd see me in a few days in the OR....but unfortunately after the x-ray the nurse didn't return, the surgeon did... and well... as you can see.... I ended up with a very different surger(ies).... So I really misspoke when I was shocked by the one night... because when I think about it, that's basically what I had been told that day before we had the standing x-rays. I have an excellent, well respected surgeon....Sounds like you have a good surgeon to trust as well!
  • advertisement
  • I wanted to thank you so much for your advise with the kids, I have explained to them that I'm having surgery to make mommy better. I have opened up the communication with all of them, explaining how I can't hold them, but they can sit next to me. Reading books will be great, just to snuggle up next to me will make them happy. My husband and I have openly talked about our plan, and they have asked questions. I believe since we have involved them in the conversation they will be more receptive and understating when I get home. It's funny they had asked exactly when I was coming home at first I told them oh, it's only one night. After reading your post, I opened it up to the possibility of two. Just in case and they won't worry too much.
    Another question, after your surgeries did you stay in bed or on a couch with a recliner?
    Thanks again!

• AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 06/13/2013 - 1:32 PM
    That's kind of tough to answer... My "Extensive" surgeries I was in bed most of the time (14 days in hospital) though a PT came daily to help me sit in a chair, walk a few steps (Literally), then I went into a 3 week inpatient rehab with a strict schedule, I was in the wheel chair most of the time I guess... but moved from activity to activity. When I got home I was told to go out of the house EVERYDAY even though I was still in a wheel chair/walker... if I was at home, I was usually in a recliner... I did take a nap in the bed some, but mostly I'd say recliner. We purchased an electric set up because prior to my surgeries my legs were too week to let it down by myself... they were certainly too week after surgery for awhile. I would NOT suggest you go spend hundreds of dollars on an electric recliner, but I would be sure you have a comfortable seat that you can easily get in and out of with little to no assistance. Speak with your surgeon, but rarely will a surgeon want you in the bed much... resting, taking it easy... of course, but not "in the bed" the majority of the time. (but again, check with the surgeon, there could be a reason he might want you laying more than reclining)
advertisement