Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

anyone ever heard of/tried Kratom for pain management?!

I was searching alternatives to prescription strength pain medication, and came across a forum where everyone is saying how wonderful this plant is!! Apparently, you chew the leaves or dry them and make tea...

The Kratom is a tree native to Southeast Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar [Burma], and elsewhere). Its botanical name is "Mitragyna speciosa". Kratom is in the same family as the coffee tree (Rubiaceae). The leaves of kratom have been used as an herbal drug from time immemorial by peoples of Southeast Asia. It is used in folk medicine as a stimulant (at low doses), sedative (at high doses), pain killer, medicine for diarrhea, and treatment for opiate addiction.

So, what it looks like to me, is it's something to not only help with the pain we suffer through, but also, if you suffer from an opiate addiction, it helps you ease off of those too!!

Ideas? Suggestions? There's a sale now...seriously thinking of ordering...
-Susan
advertisement

Comments

• I have heard of it, and the things that I have heard didn't sound good. It is very unusual that one plant can treat so many conditions, don't you think? Insomnia, chronic pain, addiction? Seems too good to be true, and like my grandmother said, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    Just be careful, there are tons of things out there that are supposed to be sure fire cures for what ails us, but they usually turn out to be worse than the original problem.
  • I heard about this plant. They said that the effect of the drug mimics that of opiates, ranging from sedation to pain reduction to intense euphoria. It also carries with it a host of opiate side effects, including nausea, dizziness, constipation, and in worst cases hallucinations and delusions. So i don't think this is a good idea to try.
  • advertisement
  • gagenortonggagenorton Posts: 1
    edited 07/02/2013 - 1:23 PM
    I discovered Kratom from an article at Forbes online and it has been a life saver. There is way too much misinformation out there. I spoke with a doctor and there is virtually no side effects. In large amounts over a long period of time you may experience mild constipation. If you ingested too much, you would simply throw up. It's no more dangerous than caffeine. If you already have trouble with addiction, common sense would tell you that you're more likely to take too much of anything. Kratom has been a great alternative to pain medication for me. I was prescribed all kinds of pain medication for my heart attack , but found them to be debilitating and they made me irritable. Kratom takes care of my pain without any of the problems that I experienced with prescription medication. As with anything, you want to find a reliable and knowledgeable vendor which I found through that Forbes article. Google "Online Kratom" and do some reading or asking if you have questions. Always double check your sources of information and don't just believe the first thing you read. It's kind of ridiculous to make an opinion based on no personal experience. I give Kratom 5 stars all around for the help it's given me.
  • My pain is through the roof sometimes. I read the Forbes article and the follow up results. I would prefer to take something natural and will give this an experimental try after I talk to my GP. I need to function and have a life. I have never heard of this as I am in Australia. It's one of the strictest places in the world for drugs so hope it hasn't been banned here. Anything natural is worth a try. Thank you for this information. Will report back on my experiment if you like. But as Sandi says anything that sounds too good to be true probably is, so will go in with my eyes wide open. Have never heard of this here.
  • Possessing Kratom is illegal in Australia, that's why I have never heard of it.
  • advertisement
  • healthierjhhealthierj Posts: 3
    edited 03/30/2014 - 4:37 PM
    I took kratom for a year before I solved my back pain. Without Kratom, I would have been unemployed and I probably would have lost every single friend I had because my pain was horrible (lots of crying without kratom). Prescription pills were making me act crazy so I decided to use Kratom instead. Most people that had bad experiences with Kratom that you read about in the media were taking other illegal substances and were looking for a high - not medicine. EDITED The reason Kratom hasn't been outlawed in the U.S. is because no one has died from an overdose. You can't overdose on kratom and it isn't addictive like many prescription pain killers. Just be smart and take it responsibly.

Naming of specific products or endorsements is not permitted on Spine Health forums. Post edited by Sandi
  • Please consider all the information before you try anything. Natural is not the same as safe. There are many plants that can kill you if ingested. Heroin & cocaine were legal for a long time before legislation was passed. Legal does not equal safe either.

Because of immigration from certain countries Kratom has been in the UK longer. Try searching the subject in UK & Europe. There is a movement to get it banned as soon as possible. I don't mean the 'Kratom miracle leaves' 'great legal high' type propaganda sites, find some some the reputable news sites.

I have family members living in inner London. They frequently complain of people high on Kratom doing some very strange & dangerous things. There is no difference between how they used to describe heroin addicts & Kratom addicts.

I have no experience with this drug. I just get very worried when people assume that anything 'natural' & 'legal' must be safe. Please stay safe ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 03/29/2014 - 2:16 PM
    I can tell you that Kratom is already banned in a couple of U.S states. The DEA is further investigating this product. It's unclear regarding it's safety so I would use with caution.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Hi I live in Malaysia and I've never even heard of this until I googled! Hopefully I'll be able to try Kratom here to see if it works!

• urine tox screens done during your pain management visits or anywhere you may be subject to urine testing. It also has no legitimate medical purpose in the US>
    http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_chem_info/kratom.pdf
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.