Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please help me understand my MRI

I've had pain, numbness and weakness for over 2 years since a car accident. I finally had an upright MRI, but it's so full of unfamiliar terms that I don't even know where to start. I want to get an idea of what's going on before I see the surgeon on Tuesday, so that I can make more efficient use of my time with him.

Is there anyone who would be willing to explain this to me? I understand what a bulge/herniation/protrusion is, but beyond that it's Greek to me.

I will be forever grateful for your help.

Sincerely, Annette

From latest MRI: (just the lowlights as I perceive them)

C4-5 mild circumferential bulge abuts the ventral aspect of the cord in neutral position. The cord is draped over the central aspect of the disc bulge in flexion. The disc abuts the cord in extension.
C5-6 mild circumferential bulge and central shallow protrusion up to 2.2 mm AP partially efface ventral CSF in neutral position. In flexion this appears more like a disc bulge with the cord draped posteriorly over it in an otherwise capacious thecal sac. In extension, the disc abuts the ventral cord and there is partial effacement of dorsal CSF by ligamentum flavum buckling.
C6-7 central protrusion/extrusion up to 4.5 mm AP x 9.5 mm RL x 8.3 mm craniocaudad abuts the ventral cord in neutral position. The cord is draped posteriorly over the disc in flexion with a much less prominent central protrusion/extrusion up to 2.2 mm AP. In extension, the disc slightly indents the ventral cord and there is partial effacement of dorsal CSF from ligamentum flavum buckling.

Mild anterior protrusions T4-5 and T5-6 with mild anterior endplate osteophytosis.
T6-7 Mild disc space narrowing with desiccation. Mild circumferential bulge. T6 inferior endplate linear herniation track extending central without significant extradural mass effect.
T7-8: Mild disc space narrowing with desiccation. T7 inferior endplate linear herniation track extends to a small protrusion/extrusion right central up to 2.4 mm AP which indents the ventral cord slightly. Mild anterior wedging of the T7 vertebral body with normal marrow signal indicating this is chronic.
T8-9: Moderate disc space narrowing with desiccation. Schmorl’s node formation. Mild circumferential bulge slightly indents the ventral cord. Mild anterior wedging of T8 involving primarily the inferior endplate with normal marrow signal indicating this is chronic.
T9-10 Moderate disc space narrowing with desiccation. Linear herniation track at the T9 inferior endplate extends right central to a small protrusion/extrusion up to 2.4 mm AP and migrating cephalad up to 4.3 mm from the T9 inferior endplate. This slightly indents the right ventral cord in an otherwise normal caliber thecal sac.
T11-12 Mild circumferential bulge with anterior mild endplate osteophytosis and shallow protrusion.

Thank you!
Car accident February 2011
Back, neck, shoulders, arms and leg pain ever since
Feet go numb if I sit on a hard chair, especially if I lean forward
Hands go numb and weak if I do small levels of activity

advertisement