Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Loss of temperature sensation

I am wondering how many others suffer with loss of temperature sensation.
I have loss of hot and cold sensation in my legs from my ankles to my knees.
Not really sure how long I have had this, but it is now very noticeable.
I had a lumbar fusion 3 years ago and an ACDF 8 months ago.
I can hold a hot cup of coffee against either leg and can't feel that it is hot/warm.

If anyone else has this problem, I would be very interested to hear how it developed and if you still had it after any surgery.
Also interested to hear what the medical people have said to you.

advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    edited 07/04/2013 - 12:59 PM
    If we were medical people ... would we ... should we ... even admit to it??

Do some research on complex regional pain syndrome or RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy).

I found my answers within these diagnoses

I have little to no temp or skin sensation in my left lower from knee-ish down ... Front of both thighs ... swelling of my L foot - etc.

Dave

duh first read I thought you said .... have to say .... not have said to you .... I need to read slower!!
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,339
    edited 07/04/2013 - 1:04 PM

I was interested to know what the medical people members have seen have said to them :-) Just seen the end of your post : Yes you need to read slower! Lol!

Thanks, I'll take a look at RSD.
  • advertisement
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    My pain doctor and internal med doc concur and have said "its probably CRSP - RSD" Doppler flows neg for claudication - vascular stenosis ...

Thank you also !! Happy?? 4th .... Gonna try chat tonight??

Dave
  • ... right now 'cos its nearly half past midnight here.

I hope that you find someone to chat with, I don't even try anymore as there never seems to be anyone there when I try.
  • jellyhall said:
    I am wondering how many others suffer with loss of temperature sensation.
    I have loss of hot and cold sensation in my legs from my ankles to my knees.
    I had a different sensation before I had surgery. Along with the other problems in my left leg (nerve pain, numbness, tingling) I also experienced the sensation that my leg was cold from the knee down. But the skin was warm, and circulation was normal. The Dr believed it was something wrong with the sensory nerves in my leg, as the nerves in my spine were being compressed. We kept track of it to see if it changed or got worse, but I had surgery June 13/13 and it has been gone since then.

Cameron
    48 year old freight handler. Bilateral foraminotomy, decompression of nerve roots and reduction of spondylolisthesis at L4-5 with open PILF and autogenous bone graft from left hip - June 13, 2013
  • advertisement
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 07/04/2013 - 8:29 PM
    Hi Jelly
    My temp issues are a bit different then yours and the medical people have just said it's probally my myeloptahy that is the cause.
    My hands do not always know the difference between hot and cold. Sometimes no difference can be made and other times sensations are completely reversed.
    Out side temperature is another issue when it's hot out. I know it's hot outside but I can't tell the difference between say 80 and 113 degrees like we had last week.
    I just have to be careful. This probally doesn't help you it's just what I deal with.
    Hope your doing well
    Rick
advertisement