Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post op Microdiscectomy (Surgery 7/10/13)

Comments

• PamhoffcaPPamhoffca Posts: 163
    edited 08/05/2013 - 7:38 PM
    P, I would say my leg "pain" was gone last week. I still have hip pain but Im pretty sure its just tired and under used....it comes and goes. I did not have foot drop, but close to it. My foot was very weak before and still is post op, but not as weak. I remember before surgery, the dr asking me to walk heal to toe, like a DUI test. I looked like a drunk. Could not even do it. Now, I can, but its very slow and wobbly. My leg weakness is just a general strength issue. If I climb stairs, its obvious that that leg is weaker. It also has this gentle buzzing sensation, if that makes sense to anyone. Lik...I always notice that leg,...instead of it just being like the other leg.

Botz, I hear ya.....just feel like Im sitting around doing nothing!!! Trying to grpet some simple projects planned, like catching up on the family scrapbooks, organizing coupons, picking out paint colors for the den, etc.
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • Pamhoffca said:
    P, I would say my leg "pain" was gone last week. I still have hip pain but Im pretty sure its just tired and under used....it comes and goes. I did not have foot drop, but close to it. My foot was very weak before and still is post op, but not as weak. I remember before surgery, the dr asking me to walk heal to toe, like a DUI test. I looked like a drunk. Could not even do it. Now, I can, but its very slow and wobbly. My leg weakness is just a general strength issue. If I climb stairs, its obvious that that leg is weaker. It also has this gentle buzzing sensation, if that makes sense to anyone. Lik...I always notice that leg,...instead of it just being like the other leg.

Pam, it seems we had a our far lateral procedures about a week apart (7/12 and 7/18) so I'm hoping since your leg pain was gone last week that mine will be this week. I do think it's a little better but my foot is still a mess with numbness, tingling and sometimes burning. At times it even hurts to put a sock and shoe on my foot. I too have a lot of hip pain, especially for the 1st few hours I'm up in the morning. I have this fairly large lump on my back which isn't really tender but is worrisome. Did you (or anyone) else have this? I'm assuming it's some sort of reaction to the trauma of the surgery and hopefully it will eventually go away...or is it something I should be concerned about. I also have this feeling that my left leg is a bit weaker and find myself limping at times. However, I can walk on my toes and on my heels. Hopefully a few weeks from now we'll both see this as a thing of the past!

Botz, I hear ya.....just feel like Im sitting around doing nothing!!! Trying to grpet some simple projects planned, like catching up on the family scrapbooks, organizing coupons, picking out paint colors for the den, etc.
  • advertisement
  • quote=Pamhoffca]P, I would say my leg "pain" was gone last week. I still have hip pain but Im pretty sure its just tired and under used....it comes and goes. I did not have foot drop, but close to it. My foot was very weak before and still is post op, but not as weak. I remember before surgery, the dr asking me to walk heal to toe, like a DUI test. I looked like a drunk. Could not even do it. Now, I can, but its very slow and wobbly. My leg weakness is just a general strength issue. If I climb stairs, its obvious that that leg is weaker. It also has this gentle buzzing sensation, if that makes sense to anyone. Lik...I always notice that leg,...instead of it just being like the other leg.

Pam, it seems we had a our far lateral procedures about a week apart (7/12 and 7/18) so I'm hoping since your leg pain was gone last week that mine will be this week. I do think it's a little better but my foot is still a mess with numbness, tingling and sometimes burning. At times it even hurts to put a sock and shoe on my foot. I too have a lot of hip pain, especially for the 1st few hours I'm up in the morning. I have this fairly large lump on my back which isn't really tender but is worrisome. Did you (or anyone) else have this? I'm assuming it's some sort of reaction to the trauma of the surgery and hopefully it will eventually go away...or is it something I should be concerned about. I also have this feeling that my left leg is a bit weaker and find myself limping at times. However, I can walk on my toes and on my heels. Hopefully a few weeks from now we'll both see this as a thing of the past!

Botz, I hear ya.....just feel like Im sitting around doing nothing!!! Trying to grpet some simple projects planned, like catching up on the family scrapbooks, organizing coupons, picking out paint colors for the den, etc
  • Tomorrow will be a month exactly since my surgery. It was a far left lateral I believe. I mean do have numbness (never had foot drop) and i do notice feeling very slowly returning to my leg ...next stop my toes hopefully lol. I really don't know what I would do without these message boards besides bothering my doctor and friends all the time. lol. I do have faith all will be back to normal (for everyone) but I do prepare myself for the worst as well (since nothing is ever guaranteed). My pain can be a bit ridiculous at times and certain days not too bad. When the pain is ridiculous I compare it to prior the surgery, and the pain is much worse now. Which kinda puts me in the dumps.

Botz: I want to get back to how my life was ...where I can go to work, workout everyday, strengthen not only my back but my body, and possible gather my thoughts while I'm sober (without any pain pills). Right now I can't do any of this.
  • I also was an avid hiker ...so me being deprived of the outdoors is like draining on the soul. I will be keeping everyone updated. Feel free to post and share experiences in detail. Every little bit helps...
  • advertisement
  • P0506....No lump here on my back. I would get that seen. My scar is healed up really nice. My foot is about 90% back to normal. Still wants to drag a little when Im tired. My big toe is still numb...no biggie. Starting PT next week.
  • Saw my surgeon just today and he didn't seem to concerned about me still experiencing pain (only if the pinched nerve was on the other foot lol). But he was glad when I had to admit the numbness in my leg/foot/toes is all pretty much gone. Even though I am happy I can feel everything again but this pain is something else, a lot different than prior my surgery. I would say it's more consistent overall ...even though it does come and go. But out of all the weird things I feel it the most when I'm sitting regularly upright ...from the upperleft part of my thigh all the way to the back leftside of the butt, literally a pain in the ass so to say. lol

My surgeon also wrote out a pt treatment plan for me ...3 times a week for the next 6 weeks ...seems a bit much for someone that purposely limits their physical activity because of the pain ...but, we'll see how that works out, going to start monday. Meanwhile they wanna give me more pills :rolls eyes: .......this is the reason why I settled for the surgery, no more pills and no more injections. If I require any of these in another 6 weeks from now, then in my mind the surgery might have been a complete failure.

Pam hows the numbness, pain and pt going for you?

Everyone and anyone feel free to comment ...express your story. If something is working for you ....any info at all please feel free to share. We are all learning to put our lives back together, even if it's one small step at a time.
  • My numbness is pretty much gone....still a tiny numb in my big toe. The pain is 95% gone. Acts up now and then, but not bad. My pain now is in my lower back and tailbone area in the latter part of the day.
  • My physical therapy is now done with. But that's only because they are going to take another MRI in a week. My pain has been pretty much the same after surgery, no difference (certain times better than others). My surgeon seems shocked and that's why he ordered the MRI. I'm starting to think surgery was a mistake. But I know it would have kept bugging me in the back of my head. The pain is different comparing pre-op to over 3 months post-op. It's worse now, but not much worse. And before the operation I felt more pain in my back than butt and leg. Now it's kind of reversed. Pam I'm glad your at 95%.

My surgeon fears that I might have re-herniated the disc, but that still remains to be seen. I haven't done anything too aggressive and I've been making sure I've been keeping my activity light.

And yes later in the day is when my pain kicks up a notch ...lower left region. The whole reason why I got the surgery was to prevent spine shots and pain killers, now I fear I'll be hooked on that shit for the rest of my life. And if I did re-herniate it I sure as hell don't want to be butchered again. And in my mind I was thinking surgery has come a long way. Don't get me wrong I'm keeping the faith but surgeons need to mention surgery as a last ditch option, and not hype up a procedure that was quoted as "simple" by my surgeon.

Sorry if I sounded like I'm complaining. Have to gather my thoughts somewhere lol.

Seriously if anyone has any useful info and/or experiences plz feel free to share. Thank you.
  • Mama-SchueMMama-Schue Posts: 337
    edited 10/23/2013 - 5:33 PM
    I have had two microD's in the last 2 months for a re-herniated disc. But before my first surgery I had exhausted every non-invasive procedure there is. You can read my profile to learn more. I am sorry that you having to deal with pain again.
    I have researched everything I could find on re-herniations and it is not nessacerily anything that you or your surgeon did wrong. During a Microdiscectomy they trim back the portion of the disc that's pressing on the nerve. In order to do that they there's usually an opening or a hole in the wall of the disc, and currently, there's been no good way to repair that hole in the wall. That's been true as long as they've been doing Microdiscectomies. Even in this day of modern technology, they have no good way of repairing the disc, so they just trim back the disc and hope that that area heals with scar tissue and protects the patient from re-herniating the disc, but that doesn't always work. At least 10 percent, maybe as high as 15 percent, of patients who have a discectomy will have a re-herniation of that disc and often require additional surgery.
    You may ask is the re-herniation caused by the opening that's still left behind? It may contribute a lot. The idea is that that area should heal by scar tissue formation, but that it doesn't always heal, and if it does heal, it may not heal very strongly, so it does predispose patients. Which may suggest that the larger that opening is, the more likely the re-herniation. So to say that a surgery was a failure, isn't really true. It may have more to do with the rate ones body heals.

These are my thoughts from my findings and knowing what the out come may be I still went ahead with the second surgery. I had already tried everything the first time and nothing worked. I didn't want to have to go through months of trying just to end up in surgery again in the end. So here I am 16 days post-op and I've made it farther then the first post-op recovery, which was 14 days and the disc re-herniated.

Hope my experiences can help you in your journey, that's what we are all here for. Sharing our own experiences in hopes to help someone else get through theirs.
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
advertisement