Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post microdiscectomy July 17 - 4 days in

Comments

• I had L5-S1 far lateral microD on 7/18/13 and have certainly had my ups and downs. Lately I'm doing better but I too have shooting pain if I turn the wrong way (also mostly in bed at night). I haven't asked anyone about it yet and am assuming it's part of the healing process. My leg pain has improved a lot and I'm walking pretty much everyday. I still have some numbness/tingling of my left foot but rarely any lateral calf pain which is where my predominant peroperative pain was.

I do have (as I've posted elsewhere) a tubular lump running perpendicular to my scar. It's about 3" long, 1 1/2" wide and is raised about 3/4". It's not tender and is kind of firm (feels like a small cucumber under my skin). It is a little tender just below it. I called my MD's office and the nurse told me that "it happens sometimes and is a collection of fluid and blood from the surgery and will eventually go away." I was just wondering if anyone has a similar thing.
  • I have had some hip pain that comes and goes, but can't say that it is at a particular time. It would make sense to me that if you are shifting in bed that maybe something presses on your nerve as you shift and it gives you a jolt. If it goes away, especially when you are standing/walking, etc. I would figure it as nerve pain and not a re-herniation. I really think that if you re-herniated, you would have more leg-involved pain and constant. A couple of people on here have had this happen and it does not go away....it is constant pain. Feel so bad for them.

Glad you called the doc about your back lump. I wonder if putting ice on it would help reduce the swelling? My scar area is completely flat now, except for the scar itself. I'm really feeling good these days. Went shopping this morning for about 2 hours. I was really tired after. I have been noticing that my upper back muscles are hurting a bit...most likely from being used more these days. I am clear to start PT. Need to call Kaiser tomorrow to see if they got my doctor's orders and to schedule. I think I will be out from work for another month or so.
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.