Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Been A While. New MRI on July 23rd

Sorry in advance for the typos! I am on a phone so...So, last time I posted was over a year ago I believe. Currently I am taking Celebrex, Metheocarbamol and Lortab 10/500. Which by the way aren't working as well as I'd hoped. Some days are just...I'm really to kill myself the pain is so bad. I have an appointment on July 29th with my NeuroSurgeon to discuss the MRI findings.
Here they are. And I know you all are not doctors, I just feel like the medications I am taking are not enoigh. I need something for break-through pain. If anyone has had similar findings can you please tell me what medications worked best for you?


Partial disc desiccation is set at the L5 and L5-S1 levels. Examination of the L4-L5 intervertebral disc reveals 4mm central disc extrusion with moderate impression on the thecal sac with moderate degree of facet joint and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy resulting in moderate to severe central spinal canalstenosis with moderate narrowing of the lateral recesses. There is posterior annular fissure evident at this level.

Examination of the L5-S1 intervertebral disc reveals 6mm broad-base right paracentral/far lateral disc extrusion associated with moderate compression of the exiting right S1 nerve root and moderate narrowing of the right L5-S1 neural forman. There is associated facet joint and ligamentum hypertrophy with moderate central spinal canal stenosis at this level.

There is a diffuse disc bulge at T11-T12 level asymmetrically greater towards the right side associated with postwrior annular fissure
Moderate attenuation of the anterior subarachnoid space with no significant spinal stenosis seen.

There is enhancement along the posterior annulus at the L5-S1 level.


Reversal of the normal cervical spine lordosis is seen.

Examinatiom of the C5-C6 intervertebral disc shows mild diffuse disc bulge woth mild attenuation on the anterior subarachnoid space. No significant stenosis is seen.

Thanks for reading! I'd really like to hear back if you too, have had something similar to what I do.


  • By now, I am assuming that you have seen the surgeon and have his recommendations. As far as medication recommendations, you would have to talk to your doctors about those, since if I recall correctly, you have been on several meds previously, and none of them offered you adequate pain relief. You are however on immediate release medications and that may not be the best option for consistent pain management.
    What did the surgeon say?
  • We decided it's best to go ahead and have a TLIF (L4-S1) and laminectomy done. Right now we are waiting for the insurance to approve it. However he didnt want to give me anything stronger for pain. He said he wants to keep me on what I am right now, that way the stronger meds will work better after surgery. I guess thats makes sense
    What's four more weeks of suffering right? Only kidding. I'm just ready for this to all be over.
  • advertisement
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 08/06/2013 - 7:08 AM
    I would have at least one consult with a different surgeon, and see what their recommendations are. You would be surprised how often different doctors have different opinions on what if any surgery is needed, and what other options might be available. L4- S1 surgery is a multi level fusion, and before proceeding, I would want to make sure that that is the best decision.
    A laminectomy might be possible instead or discectomy with a laminectomy might be possible.
    The recovery from a multi level fusion and the likelihood of successful fusion is not great with having more than one level.
    Do some major research before going ahead with this.
  • He will also be doing a laminectomy at l4-l5..hes going to remove the discs at l4-s1 and put in spacers. I have seen another surgeon who said there was nothing she could do because of my age. Just pain management. And i have been dealing with this since my early teens...so i am ready to have it fixed.
Sign In or Register to comment.