Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What do you think about epidural steriod injections?

advertisement

Comments

• I know some people that get relief and some people that don't. I have had 2 injections and got relief from them, both of them for only a day and a half max but I did get relief. Some people say they get relief for 6 months or more and some people say 0 relief. Since I am only getting relief for a day and a half the doc wants to talk about a facet block on my. I am willing to do anything for relief. I don't want to have surgery, that is my absolute last resort. I know there are side effects of the shots but as long as you don't over due them you will be fine. Make sure you find a good pm doc. The doctor makes the difference. My pain doctor used to be an anesthesiologist and went into pain management instead and is on her own, not associated with any other medical facilities which means she has to do good. She really cares about my pain and is trying everything she can to help me. I know the shots aren't cheap either but even the 1 day relief I got was worth the money. I will keep going for shots as long as I feel they are worth it to me.
  • I have had a good response with my ESIs. The last one I had was done by a neuroradiologist, not pain management. so I looked up information about neuroradiologist on line and found some interesting reading. I love medical abstracts. I came across education guidelines for inteventional spinal procedures. There are a lot of procedures for all parts of the spine, indications for the procedures and medicine and foods you should take. No one ever told me not to have ginger, I cook with a lot of ginger and have ginger tea. the guidelines are in adobe so you download. If you can't find them but what to see them i can probably send a copy.
  • advertisement
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,512
    edited 11/27/2013 - 11:04 AM
    MY doctors will try 2, and if you don't get relief won't give any more ESIs, I don't know why they would continue something that is not working ? $?
  • My typing is bad so my previous statement did not make sense. My ESIs work. If they do NOT work after 2 tries, they will not try again.
    I have had 7 and 2 MBB. The MBBs did not work.
    I hope my ESIs result in permanent healing, but they usually only last 6-8 weeks. I hoping they prevent surgery, but after they wear off I get so depressed and feel so hopeless. I just wish the answers were clear, before I consent to surgery.
  • When my surgeon told me he personally had 5 injections in 2 years before ultimately having surgery, I decided I did not want to go through something with such short term results.
    Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
    Major Herniation - L4/L5
    Bulging Disc - L5/S1
    "no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
    MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013
  • advertisement
  • freezing14ffreezing14 Posts: 1
    edited 01/07/2014 - 3:58 PM
    I've had two and neither did anything for the pain in my lower back which I'd already had surgery on. The second time he completely numbed my right leg. I was put to sleep for these injections. I won't go through it again. I don't see the sense in going through all that for 2 days of partial relief. It was a yr and a half later that the place I had it done at got bad batches of the compounded meds they used for these injections. Luckily, no one there was injured.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.