Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

multi level cervical disc replacement

I am 6 weeks post op from a mult-level cervical disc replacement at C4-5, C5-6. I was involved in a MVA in April and have 4 herniated discs in my neck. I went for 3 surgical opinions and was offered a three level fusion. The last doc also offered the 3 level fusion, but suggested we try a 2 level disc replacement. I liked the idea of retaining some of my mobility, so opted for the disc replacement. The surgeon told me that by regaining the height at the C4-5 level we may be able to save the C6-7, which is also herniated.

My recovery has been a slow painful process. I am amazed when I hear people say they were up and about in a matter of days. I never considered myself a whimp, but this surgery was not easy. I'm not a big fan of pain meds, but at 6 weeks post op, I still can't sleep without them. The pain when I lay down is incredible.

I also had the arm pain/numbness/tingling before surgery, my surgeon told me that my nerve was really smashed, so I still had the arm issues after surgery. It has improved, but I still get the tingles every once in a while, so I am still on the Gabepentin for now.

I do have days where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel because the pain drops to a 2 (and that is with taking the Gabepentin and 800mg Ibuprofen). I am never pain free, it seems that I consider a 2 a good day.

I started physical therapy and I am a mess for 3 days, with muscle spasms and pain. The pain just becomes tolerable again then I go back to physical therapy and the cycle starts again.

My surgeon originally wrote me off of work for 6 weeks, but at my 6 week follow-up appointment, extended my leave for 9 weeks, and wrote me a return to work with no restrictions. He also reviewed my x-ray, said everything showed good placement and appeared to be healed and said I don't have to see him for a year. I work 12 hour shifts at a hospital where I am on my feet all day and have to do a fair amount of lifting, so I have 2 weeks to do a miracle turnaround. Since I was released by the surgeon, I now have to go through the pain doctor at the doctors office for medications and to extend my time off.

Forgive me if I sound negative, in reality, I am very thankful. When I stop and consider the potential complications of a surgery of this magnitude, I am amazed and thankful that my only complication is pain (when you read the list of complications it is terrifying). I know that I will never be 100%, but with hard work, time and a lot of prayer, I am hopeful that I will be able to resume the activities I enjoyed before the accident.

js
advertisement