Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bone Stimulators

I posted a couple of days ago. My surgery was 2 months ago and I feel pretty good.

My questions is one about bone strimulators. My surgeon ordered one for me and I've been using it since the 3rd week in July. I have to use it 30 minutes each day, every 24 hours. The one I have is Spinologic and it wraps around your waist with the back part that looks like a round steering wheel against the area where the surgery was. It runs on a 9 volt battery and it has something to do with magnetic impulses. However, you feel nothing while its on.

Has anyone used one of these and do they increase bone growth like they say it does?

Thanks in advance
advertisement

Comments

• Hi
    I was in a trail in 2006 and 2007 using bone stimulators.
    At the time most major insurance companies did not cover them.
    Both of my uses had great results and fusion was done faster then normal.
    I call it a success and now most insurance companies do cover them.
    Interesting thing is I used them both 24/7 for about four months.
    I notice the newer ones are being used for much shorter times and that makes me wonder
    what is best and why the time of use is so different.
    Mine had no sensation and you could not even tell if it was even on without looking at the control unit that did show power was on.
  • youngatheart said:
    I posted a couple of days ago. My surgery was 2 months ago and I feel pretty good.

My questions is one about bone strimulators. My surgeon ordered one for me and I've been using it since the 3rd week in July. I have to use it 30 minutes each day, every 24 hours. The one I have is Spinologic and it wraps around your waist with the back part that looks like a round steering wheel against the area where the surgery was. It runs on a 9 volt battery and it has something to do with magnetic impulses. However, you feel nothing while its on.

Has anyone used one of these and do they increase bone growth like they say it does?

Thanks in advance
    I was given the exact same stimulator. Dr office said it costs $4000, so fortunately my insurance covered it. I had my surgery on 7/31 so I have no idea if the stimulator is helping. I hope so!!! As you, I wear it 30 mins a day - same time each day. Lets hope it works.

PLIF fusion L4-L5 and Decompression July 31
  • advertisement
  • I am also using the same stimulator. My surgery was in June and I have 50+ days wearing the device. I have an appointment with the surgeon and x-rays on Thursday. I will let you know if he sees new bone growth. This will be my 3 month appointment. I'm hoping the news is great, but it still may be too early.
    Stacy
    Laminectomy and 2 level Open PLIF L3-L5
    48 years old, Office Manager
  • I'm glad that insurance covered it because the price was over $5000. I'm hoping it works because my physical therapist said that if it wasn't proven to work it would not be covered by insurance. I'mn't work, insurance would not pay for it. Anastasia I'm hoping that you finally see results. My appt for my 12 week follow up is at the end of Sept and I too alm hoping that the results are good.
  • Yes, please let us know how do after your check ups. Good luck to both of you! I have my 6 week check up on 9/7 but its to soon to expect any outcome from the stimulator.
  • advertisement
  • anastasia3a said:
    I am also using the same stimulator. My surgery was in June and I have 50+ days wearing the device. I have an appointment with the surgeon and x-rays on Thursday. I will let you know if he sees new bone growth. This will be my 3 month appointment. I'm hoping the news is great, but it still may be too early.
    Stacy

How was your 3 month appointment? Hope all is well. Deb
  • youngatheartyyoungatheart Posts: 42
    edited 10/02/2013 - 3:30 PM
    I saw my doc last Thursday and there is no new bone growth even though I use the stimulator every day. I was disappointed but he said its not unusual not to see any at 3 months. I have my x-ray with me every visit with him. He said everything is in place and I can start bending as long as it is comfortable, but don't overdo. I'll be getting a new set of x-rays and see him again in December..

advertisement