Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

28 Year Old Male ~ Herniated Disc L4-L5 ~ Microdiscectomy

Hello,

My name is Eric and I am 28 and recently had a Microdiscectomy on a "pretty large" herniation at my L4-L5 level.

I am going to take my plight into the appropriate sub-forum, to greater discuss what my current issues are and see if I can get some real specific advice. One of the "READ MESSSSSS" has the following, so I will at least fill that out here (and likely in my Topic)

- Include your current condition as identified by your doctor

~~I do not know what my current condition would really be classified as, but I had a herniated disc at my L4-L5 level since February 2013 - Tried Chiropractic work at first, then moved to P.T. with regular deep tissue massages. No one diagnosed me correctly until I had my MRI finally in July.

My favorite tid-bit there is my masseuse, under the "hey-man, you can't listen to me" was the one who said he was 95% sure I had a herniated disc. No one else, as in, the doctors, diagniosed me correctly. And I was the first one to correctly diagnose myself when I got out of the MRI tube in July and saw what was obvious to my (then, and now) studied eyes was a herniated disc.

What my self-taught medical knowledge did not realize was how bad the herniation was, but I knew that day in July my options were:

a.) Be in pain for a long time, maybe forever
b.) Injections
c.) Surgery

The Spine Center I went to in Michigan quickly concluded that the herniation was much too large for an injection to really do any good. Thank goodness for that honesty, I wouldn't have wanted to do injections. So I made plans to go into surgery a few weeks later in August 6th.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- List any medication you are currently on

~~Currently, crap I forgot to take it today...I think i did yesterday too! I take a daily dose of 10mg of Celexa (for anxiety)
**10mg of Celexa, once a day
**I am on day four of my six day Prednisone steroid treatment.
**I take Norco 10/325 as needed for pain. I was taking a lot, more than prescribed, doctor said no-no-no and I've since reduced the intake quite a bit. I have been using around 3 to 8 Norco pills per day for around two weeks now.

***I was on percocet previously right after the surgery, I have been off that for two weeks or more now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Identify the various diagnostic tests you have had and the results.

**X-Rays (That I don't think anyone even looked at...)
**MRI without contrast of Lumbar spine, showing L4-L5 herniation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- List any prior surgeries

** Eye surgery when I was like seven in 1992
** Wisdom Teeth removal in like 2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Identify any upcoming surgery

**None yet (fingers crossed)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Describe your current medical problems

If you view my profile, and I will try to come back here and edit this post. I am going to describe my current medical problems in a separate post
advertisement