Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

A sad Hello :(

TarenTTaren Posts: 524
edited 09/19/2013 - 8:42 PM in New Member Introductions
Why you may ask??...Well, quiet simply, it's because I have back, hip and leg problems & I have found myself here on a spine forum. I have been an avid reader here for quiet some time and now feel the time is right to join. I guess my problems started at birth. I was born with mild scolosis, but didn't know this until I had things looked at as an adult. After a MVA I was taken to the hospital, a complete spine MRI was done and it was determined that I had 2 compression fractures at L1-L2 & L2-L3 this is when scolosis was discovered as well. Long story short, I now suffer alot of back, legs and hip pain. I also have an issue at L5-S1, a bulge disc I believe it is described as. Tonight, I join your world because my lower back feels like a concrete block constantly sits across it, my legs are aching as badly as any toothache man has endured. My feet hurt and also lately, Im experiencing a great amount of numbness in my right big toe (Can sciatica cause a numb toe?) I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia as well as neuropathy...I have also had the ususal medical intervention, such as injections, trigger point as well as SI joint intections and recently have had 3 sets of ESI's. Rounds of PT, which I still to this day continue to do the exercises. I have and use my TENS unit, heat pad inside my home as well as use the heated seats in my truck while out and about. Ice pks have become one of my closest friends during this journey, I also use hot baths mixed with lavendar epsoms salt w/1 cup of baking soda added. I try to walk everyday, I push myself while telling myself, "no pain, no gain." Perhaps I'm pushing too much....This spine stuff gets so daunting (sp) @ times. I also don't sleep well-my current record is 43 hours w'o sleep. I ache which wakes me, I wake myself trying to turn over with the moaning and groaning, while holding on to my headboard for support to turn. Well, that's my short introduction speech. Look forward to getting to know some of you, ur spine issues and what works or doesn't work for you.
advertisement

Comments

• RennersChickRRennersChick Posts: 227
    edited 09/19/2013 - 4:57 PM
    I am so sorry to hear about your pain. Have you considered surgery? I went through similar things prior to deciding to have surgery. I was at the end of my rope and decided that the risk of surgery was worth it because the option was to suffer in immense pain. What do your doctors say? Seen an Ortho or Neuro? Also, sciatic nerve issues can give you numb toes as well as other issues.
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,620
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

dilauro

tamtam

Liz

Sandi

JellyHall

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168
    edited 09/20/2013 - 2:08 AM
    us what your doctor recommendations have been based on your MRI results?
    Has surgery every been discussed? Seems like you have had some conservative treatments and doing some of them yourself.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 09/20/2013 - 8:29 AM
    can be indications of nerve compression or compromise. When was your last MRI done? I take it that your surgeon is unaware of the numbness and heel pain issues? I would suggest that if he is not aware of those symptoms that you let him know. Spine surgery is done in two instances- one is when there is a mechanical problem that can be fixed with surgery, and the other is when there is compression of the nerves- whether they are in the canals that exit between each vertebra level or in the central canal. Nerve compression damage can become permanent if it is not treated and it causes permanent damage to the nerves.
  • Thank you all for your respones. I will try to answer your questions. RennersChick & Ron, yes, my doctor and I have discussed surgery but my dr or myself feel I'm am to that point yet and would like to put that off as long as I possibly can. I have some painful symptoms but I do not experience any sort of burning like I did before I had my ACDF. I feel if I start burning then it will be time. My last MRI was done in February it showed the state of the 2 compression fractures I had sustained in my accident. As of yet those aren't causing my problems, or so he's thinking, since I'm not presenting symptoms of those. My problem, we are thinking, lies with my L5-S1. He says that it is pushing aginst a nerve that goes down into my leg. He says all my smptoms are coming from that area. Sandy, no, my doctor is not currently aware of the numbness in my toe and heels. That has just started happening in the last few months. I see him again in October and I plan to discuss those issues with him then. I'm sure at that point he will go ahead and send me for an EMG, that we had discussed doing a couple of months ago, but the flare up I was having at that time seemed to have calmed down and we decided to wait and see, however I wasn't experiencing the toe numbness and heel problems at that time. He also discussed with me the option of looking into the benefit of a spinal cord stimulator. Are the SCS used to treat mechanical pain??? Yes, Ron, I have had conservative treatments and I do everything I can do at home to help relieve my discomfort. I would love to try accupuncture but it's not covered by tri-care. Has anyone tried this and does it help? I would be happy to pay out of pocket if it would help me. Also, the spinal decompression board, has anyone tried these, of so, what were your results??? As you can see I'm willing to do whatever helps. Ok, I hope I have helped you in understanding my issues a little bit better and have answered your questions. I look forward to your replies.
  • advertisement
  • I have similar numbness and pain hang in and pray it helps I will for you
    Zac
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 09/20/2013 - 12:54 PM
    Thank you Zac for your kind words of encouragement, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. I'm so sorry to hear you are experiencing the same sort of pain that I have described. I hope that relief soon finds you. Thank you for your prayers, they are very much appreciated as I will keep you in mine.
  • All I can say, is that I tried all of the conservative avenues prior to finding a surgeon that was willing to do my L5 S1 Micro. Honestly wish I hadn't waited almost a year with that kind of leg pain due to the compression of the nerve from a herniated disc. I can't tell you want to do, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten surgery 6 months ago, not just 2 weeks ago. I would have avoided months of miserable pain and depression. Perhaps a second or third opinion for you? You shouldn't have to stay in pain. Find someone who will help you now, instead of later. The longer the nerve is compressed, the more damage can be done and the longer it may take for it to feel better and repair itself. Just weigh your options with more than one doctor.
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168
    a nerve root is being compromised, its time to seriously think about surgery.
    But that is something only you and your doctor will know when its time.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Completely agree with Ron.
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
advertisement