Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

The more activity the more PAIN???? post lumbar surgery

Hi buddies,

I am now a wopping 7 weeks post-op and trying to walk more, sit more, but not much
And it seems THAT THE MORE I DO THE MORE PAIN I GET IN MY BUTT.

DOES ANYONE ELSE GET MORE PAIN/MUSCLE SPASMS WITH INCREASED ACTIVITY???

Is the normal????

Thanks for your input, i know we are not medical professionals , but curious if other lumbar surgery buddies are having the same problem

Still SMILINROSE but getting a bitty concerned

PS, sorry for all of the typos with all of my posts and replies. Its this darn KINDLE
it makes me look illiterate and I graduated top of my class
advertisement

Comments

• Yes, when I had my surgery it was like that for the first few months......increased walking or sitting ( in fact sitting was the worst part for me) would send my reeling........part of it, is needing to retrain your body a bit, by pushing through, increasing the length of time by a minute at first, then a few minutes, then 5 minutes and so on, and part of it the muscles and spine trying to adjust to it's new alignment and positioning......the surgeon told me if it hurts too much, then don't do it , but to also learn to push myself a bit at the same time
  • Oh you gave me a bit of hope
    Hugs from my heart
    Rose
  • advertisement
  • I get a lot of pain when I walk at the mall and grocery stores. I have saved a lot of money by not shopping.

I used to use a nook so I know how the typing gets crazy. I upgraded to an ipad mini and love it.
    Jenn
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • I will have to check into those....
    I wish i could sit at my computer and type like a normal person
    But sitting HURTS!!!!!
    Thanks Sweetie again
    Hugs
    Rose
  • Keep in mind that your body has had a major assault on it and it's going to take a while to work all the kinks out! If you can tolerate warm baths, try to sit (modify lay) to see if the warm water helps loosen tight muscles which could be causing your pain. Heating pad may help as well.

Good Luck!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • I never thought of heat because i still have some swelling
    but its worth a try or not?
    Thanks
    Rose
  • Hi Rose- I know you've had a really tough time. I had fusion in June this year and my pain is continuing. My pain doctor prescribed me a TENS unit (E-stim device to use at home). I've only had it for a couple of days but find it does help with the pain and especially the muscle spasms in my butt. You may want to ask your doctor about getting one and see what they say... just a thought. I still get really sore after doing a lot of activity, but weirdly enough, I also get really sore if I lay around too much and don't do enough. It's such a hard balance to find. Hope you start feeling better soon!
    Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015
  • Tens unit!!!!!!!
    I own one and never use it
    Great idea!
    Thanks so much
    Hugs
    Rose
  • radiculopathousrradiculopathous Posts: 19
    edited 10/04/2013 - 8:41 AM
    That's definitely the dynamic I'm experiencing. If I move about, I can expect that about 3-4 hours later it will flare up. And the flaring up is directly proportional to how much shuffling about I've done.
    I've just spent another insane night of pain, day 4 post-op... because I got too ambitious yesterday and I ventured to work for a few hours on the subway. Stupid old me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    Even to this day (last lumber surgery1989, cervical 2000), if I have too much activity, in plain words - overdo it, I will pay a price. I think this is something that almost everyone who has had spinal surgery realizes down the road.

Initially, its a like a new budding romance, things look pretty good, perhaps a few bumps in the road, but the honeymoon is still there!

As we get older, our bodies also get older requiring more to bounce back. Again, like a relationship. After years, some arguments take just a little more to get over them.

One thing to keep in mind, its ok to do some more activity , but do NOT push yourself beyond where you should be, in the time frame of your surgery.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement