Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

how long did yiu use a WALKER after surgery?

JUST CURIOUS

HOW LONG AFTER LUMBAR SURGERY DID YOU USE A WALKER?

Did you then progress to a cane?

When did you start walking on your own?

I think lots of our surg buddies would like to hear what you have to say

Thanks for participating in my "poll"

Have a blessed day!

Rose
advertisement

Comments

• I used my walker for about 2 weeks, then I started walking on my own. I never used a cane. The only thing I can't do is lift, bend and twist. I do try to pick up stuff from my floor and am not to successful.

I have read your posts and I am glad you are doing better. You have been through a lot.
    Jenn
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • Ohhhhhhhh I am jealous but thankful that you did so well
    I am really and truly happy for you and your progress

Gee, i really never think about people reading my posts

DO I POST TOO OFTEN? SAY TOO MUCH?
    Please be honest with me
    Hugs
    Rose
  • advertisement
  • After I had my fusion in February of last yr, I caught a really nasty staph infection. It weakened my legs considerably. I thought I was never going to be able to walk without a walker. I used it for about 2 and half months. I couldn't even lift my leg high enough to step up on a curb. I took several walks during the day around the apartment complex I had lived in, to build strength up in my legs. After my second fusion, I used for about a week or so. I got tired of having get it in and out of the car. I have a pink walker that has four wheels and a seat. I have a cane but I never really used it.

Post all you want, that's the only way we know you are doing okay.

Jennifer
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • For the kind words about me posting and about the walkers use.

I am trying to wean myself off of the walker outside, but going for those walks are scary when you have a foot drop and severe numbness. I use tge cane or go SOLO while in the house

Thanks Jennifer
    Hugs
    Rose
  • 8-9 weeks on the walker and about 4 additional weeks on a cane.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
  • After my last surgery I was so wobbly for so long that I used mine for nearly 6 months. I finally gave it up after much PT and walking outside with it mainly for balance issues. It still seems weird not grabbing it when I get up to go somewhere.

Gary
  • So i guess i will use my walker, especially outside for a longer legnth of time
    Hugs
    Rose
  • stenosisRose said:
    For the kind words about me posting and about the walkers use.

I am trying to wean myself off of the walker outside, but going for those walks are scary when you have a foot drop and severe numbness. I use tge cane or go SOLO while in the house

Thanks Jennifer
    Hugs
    Rose
    Hi,
    I am coming up to my 1 yr post surgery for lumbar fusion of 2-3,3-4, 4-5.
    I use my walker which is a 3 wheeled one whenever I go out for a walk or will be walking a distance. I use a cane for short distance like from parking lot into a store until I can grab hold of a cart. I have lots of numbness in my R foot and it tends to " stick" to the floor and sends me flying! I use my walker/ cane or store cart mainly to prevent this tripping thing and also I have an extreme fear of falling which is what caused my injury in the first place.
    I say if it makes you fel mor secure to use a device then do it!
    Trish

Trish
  • I HAVE DROP FOOT (right foot) and MY FOOT STICKS TO THE FLOOR ALSO
    ESPECIALLY IF I AM BAREFOOT

Its weird And my sock falls down on that foot also and shoes fall off ( not with shielaces of course) as the numbness increases.

Hummmmmm????

Gee, 1 year post-op and this is as far as you progressed?
    I feel sad for YOU and me, I have a feeling I will be reporting the same as you on my 1 yr anniversary

Rose
advertisement