Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Microdisctomy and now fusion surgery L5s1

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm freaking out a bit so here I am. I had a microdisctomy for a huge herniation at L5S1 on August 21 of this year. I was recovering well and getting feeling back in my leg. About 3 weeks out of surgery I started getting horrible muscle spasms in my back, worst pain I can ever recall being in. They did another MRI and found the disc had collapsed more and a fusion was suggested. I was in crazy pain and said yes. My insurance said no. Anyway, I'm on gabapentin, tramadol, and flexeril currently and the muscle spasms have stopped for the most part. I've been living in a reclining chair, I can't stand up straight or lay down flat without pain but I'm feeling better. My surgeon was suppose to a peer to peer yesterday but I haven't heard the results yet. I'm starting to second guess the surgery but I can't stand for more than 5 or 10 minutes. I'm having a lot of trouble eating too, food tastes terrible. I need to get back to work too. Has anyone else had a similar event? If so what happened? I'm 43, female, and not overweight, non smoker. I hope I'm in the right place...
L5 S1 MicroD - August 21, 2013
L5 S1 Fusion - October 17, 2013
44 year old
advertisement

Comments

• you may have reherniated, or the nerve could be acting up some. i have been reading about people reherniating or thinking they may have almost weekly on here. hopefully you have not.
  • Try not to get too upset over the insurance thing... sometimes they want to be sure all the conservative treatments have been tried first. An L5/S1 fusion is a routine surgery (not to mean it isn't a major surgery) so hopefully you'll get your approval soon. I know fusions are scary, but so is the idea of spending your life in a recliner. And who knows, perhaps a conservative treatment might work... there are stranger things. Hang in there.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
  • MollyAkMMollyAk Posts: 115
    edited 10/09/2013 - 3:51 PM
    Wow, I'm shocked! The insurance company approved today after a peer to peer and surgery next week! I was expecting hoops to jump through, I need to get my brain back on track and mentally prepare for this. Still stunned....
    44 year old
  • Glad you don't have to wait too long for your surgery. Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • MollyAkMMollyAk Posts: 115
    edited 10/10/2013 - 3:03 PM
    I was so sure they would make me do 6 months of physical therapy or something I mentally unprepped for surgery, if you know what I mean. I have to back on the positive mental attitude train and focus on getting better rather than figuring out how to cope in my current condition
    44 year old
  • advertisement
  • I am new to the forum. I have an upcoming microdiskectomy planned in two weeks. I have a herniated disk l4 - l5. I experience the sciatica problems in my buttocks and all the way down my right leg to my foot. It seems to only flair up when I walk. Do you guys encourage the surgery to take care of these problems? My concerns are having more problems after the surgery.
  • MollyAk said:
    I was so sure they would make me do 6 months of physical therapy or something I mentally unprepped for surgery, if you know what I mean. I have to back on the positive mental attitude train and focus on getting better rather than figuring out how to cope in my current condition
    I totally know how you feel. I was on a waiting list for surgery, and assumed it would be two or three months minimum before I heard anything. That is the norm around here. But I received a phone call after just one month to say that there was a cancellation, and could I come in the following week. Wow. It was quite a shock. But the way I looked at it, with my back problems getting worse, the surgery was a chance to have a better quality of life because I had none before surgery. It has not been easy, but things are better than they were before the surgery. I am still no where near ready to go to work, but at least the sciatic nerve pain is gone from my left leg. It is very slow, so I have also had to learn some patience - which I am terrible at! Make sure you have lots of movies and books to read :-)

Cam
    48 year old freight handler. Bilateral foraminotomy, decompression of nerve roots and reduction of spondylolisthesis at L4-5 with open PILF and autogenous bone graft from left hip - June 13, 2013
  • I believe in surgery if all else fails.
    Why live in such pain when it can be relieved.
    But try everything else beforehand.

But when you have that " i cant even walk to the bathroom pain" " i cant even breath pain" that " i cant live like this pain"

You do whatever it takes to get relief, even if that means surgery.

And to me, age makes no difference!
    If you are hurting so bad that life stinks, get the surgery, or epidurals or PT.

Hope this helps
    ROse

• matt_ohio said:
    I am new to the forum. I have an upcoming microdiskectomy planned in two weeks. I have a herniated disk l4 - l5. I experience the sciatica problems in my buttocks and all the way down my right leg to my foot. It seems to only flair up when I walk. Do you guys encourage the surgery to take care of these problems? My concerns are having more problems after the surgery.
    It all depends on how long the problem has been ongoing, how severe it it, and what else you have tried. Not knowing any of this, I would say that you should exhaust all other options before surgery.
advertisement