Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

14 Weeks Post Op- XLIF

I'm 16 weeks post op from L4/L5 XLIF/decompression and I'm a little nervous that the surgery was unsuccessful. The main reason I had the fusion was due to severe nerve damage and thigh pain and the beginning stages of drop foot. This was my only spine surgery. The NS felt that this was the only option to reverse the nerve damage. The foot drop is 100% gone, and has been since right after surgery. I started PT a few weeks ago and I definitely have more mobility, which causes more pain in my back. My thigh pain has returned, it's not as bad as before, but i'm concerned that it's back. I'm having such a difficult time sleeping between my back, side and thigh, i don't sleep much.
I've gained over 40lbs since surgery and I know that's not helping matters either. I've been off all the strong pain meds for a few weeks. I just didn't like how they made me feel. I take a norco 5mg, every once in a while.
I've been back to work for a while, I work out at the gym and i'm able to function daily. I'm just wondering if this is normal for me to have a constant 5-6 pain? NS says it takes a very long time for nerves to heal, I know that I just need to be patient. I'm considering massage therapy or acupuncture. Any input is greatly appreciated. I don't take any nerve meds as I had a bad reaction to them. Topamax worked wonders on the drop foot, but since that's gone I wonder if that will work for the thigh pain? I guess it's worth asking. Is it too early to be worried?

36 Year old mom of 4 awesome kido's, and married to the love of my life!

IT Assistant with the Federal Government.

L4/L5 XLIF 6/21/213 to correct nerve damage to my right leg.

Each day is a step forward, even if it's baby steps!
advertisement