Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Lidoderm patch vs. new generic lidocaine patch

Has anyone else tried the new generic lidocaine patch for lumbar herniation/nerve pain down L5-S1? I have been using Lidoderm and switched to the generic. I am not sure it is working properly. I have greater difficulty getting to sleep due to sacral/S1 pain and numbness. It is also hard to remove from the package and from the backing. Thank you.
humanshishkabob
advertisement

Comments

• I use lidoderm patches and I love them I just don't love the price. I have never been given the option for generic. I would love to hear if anyone else has used generic with a great outcome.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,760
    to the generic brand. Under my insurance, 90 pads costs me $10. Using the original patch, the cost was over $55 for the same number of pads.

The generic pads.... They are much thinner and harder to peel off the pad, plus its very hard to place them. The bend so easy and stick to itself, placement is not easy. BUT, the stay put. One of my major complaints regarding the original pads, was that they never stayed on that long. These DO..

In terms of pain relief, I have not noticed any difference.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • advertisement
  • Summi1408SSummi1408 Posts: 176
    edited 11/19/2013 - 8:53 AM
    I have a problem keeping the lidoderm patches and have to tape them on every where. Next time I get prescription filled will ask for generic and give them a try since it would save so much money.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • I do not think the generic is as effective as the name brand. Also the duration of relief after removal seems much shorter with the generic. I also agree they are much harder to remove from the package and get in place.
  • I, too got the new generic lidocaine patches. They are very difficult to get out of the package and are hard to place because they are very sticky. I asked my physician to prescribe the name brand patches as it's not a savings for me if I can't get them placed right and I don't think they work as well either. Maybe if more companies manufacture the generics, maybe some generics will be better than others.
  • advertisement
  • martyjommartyjo Posts: 60
    edited 01/13/2014 - 11:34 AM
    Yes, I've had both. I think the non-generic are better. The generic are flimsy but cheaper. Try keeping them in a cool area as it makes them less sticky. Also cut them in half to be able to place where you want. Cut before you open package. Less sticky Hope this helps
  • thanks everyone for the information on these pain patches, i am going to see my dr friday and i was going to ask if there was such a med. my mother was on a morphine patch for her caner i didn't know there were others for other problems. thanls.
  • humanshishkabobhhumanshishkabob Posts: 65
    edited 01/28/2014 - 8:12 PM
    My insurance stopped paying for Lidoderm brand patches and due to a denial, I am on the generic now. I am not sleeping because they don't work. They are cheap and the FDA approved them without doing clinical trials. I am hoping to appeal after I do another trial but the pain is bad and it is hard to get to sleep and stay asleep. I was doing better and now the shovels are back in my L5 S1 nerve. This stinks.
    humanshishkabob
  • i have used both; the lidoderm patches are, for me, far better. The medication lasts longer, they stay on even when getting dressed, the ends and sides don't curl up and they are more easily removed from the backing. I never apply lotion prior to applying the patch, and make certain my skin is dry. It's possible that if you have oily skin, you might have more success with the either patch if you wipe or wash the area before you apply the patch. One of my doctors said she has had many patients complain about the generic 'equivalent'. For me, the generics are substandard.
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 03/29/2014 - 9:17 PM
    I looked it up online, but didn't find the "purpose" of it. I assume it's supposed to help somehow. Do you put it on an area where you have pain, & it numbs it? Is it something you could talk to your dr about without fear of being red flagged, or does it fall somewhere on the narc scale?
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.