Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Possible Spinal Fluid Leak? Please help!

Hello everyone. I am a newbie to this site and i am looking for advice/help and if anyone else has experienced what i am going through.

Little background.

I have a herniated disc (L5) i am a 31 yo male. I received an epidural injection. Two days later i became bedridden due to extreme dizziness and nausea and bad headaches. The symptoms become tolerable while laying in bed but got worse while standing/sitting. Two weeks later dr did a blood patch. All was fine 3 days later.

A month later i returned for a second epidural injection. 2 days later i became very dizzy, nauseous, headaches and lightheadedness. The dr thought it was a reaction to the steroid. 3 weeks later the dr was not convinced i had a leak. he conducted a caffeine iv to treat my headache. The iv cured the headache i had that morning but gave me a worse headache that night. After not working a week later another blood patch was conducted. The blood patch (In my opinion failed). The symptoms did not dissipate. Several weeks later the dizziness got worse to point i have been dizzy for 10 weeks now and bedridden for 3 weeks. When i stand i am off balance and stumble into things and i have this drugged/out of body, fuzzy feeling in my head. When i stand for longer periods of time or look around the room it gets worse to point i am about to vomit. The dr still not convinced that i have a leak sent me to a ear,nose and throat neurologist. He thinks its possibly a leak and does a test where he puts hot air and cold air in my ears (after almost vomiting) he said i had abnormal results. Nystagmus in right eye was 50% and 29% in left eye. he said average person is 15-25%. another test was done for pressure/fluid in my ears that came back normal. He now thinks its an "inner ear nerve virus" that has no name and not much is known about it.

I find it hard to believe that a virus would cause identical symptoms two days after a procedure done twice within one month.

i have been to two ER's, primary doctor, ENT etc etc. No one seems to think it is a leak. I have been trying to get an MRI done but no success yet.

My question is, has anyone else had this experience? does it sound like a leak to you? (Sorry for spelling, grammar, i typed this on my iPad). On a side note. Other day I didn't drink caffeine and was sitting a lot. I had such a bad headache I was laying on the floor under the toilet because I was on the verge of vomiting due to the pain in my head.

Thank you for any posts!
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

i am sure that you will find your time on spine-health very rewarding. this site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    here are just some of the highlights:

- spine-health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- the wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- under the resource tab, there is a section doctor advice health center which can be invaluable.

- as a bonus, spine-health provides these patient forums. here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. you will soon become part of the spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. you are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- it is very important to understand the forum rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- as a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. you should read forum faq

here are some links you should take a look at:
    read before you post
    tips for newcomers
    understanding the rules

all of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

you can also find us on facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, pinterest https://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and twitter @spinehealth.

if you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

dilauro

tamtam

liz

sandi

jellyhall

sincerely,
    ron dilauro

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • You may have a Spinal Dura Tear
    (Covering of the spinal cord torn)
    This can happen from epidurals, mylograms, spinal surgery etc.... invasive spinal procedures

I gad one from my spine surgery in August so from personal experience and education from the hospital staff about symptoms, it could be what you have.

Go see a neurosurgeon for an opinion, you coukd need a DURA REPAIR, better than a blood patch.

Hooe this helps a bit
    Rose
  • advertisement
  • Thank you Rose. That is my belief as we'll. all the doctors are convinced that it's not. Would an MRI show spinal fluid that is leaking?
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 11/12/2013 - 2:01 PM
    DID NOT SHOW MY SPINAL LEAKING BECAUSE THE TEAR HAPPENED DURING MY SURGERY

sorry, forgot we are not suppose to use CAPS.

Anyway
    My stenosis was adhering to my vertebrae, so when the surgeon tried to separate the problems, my cord covering (dura) was stuck to the vertebrae and tore.

Not my surgeons mistake, he had a very severe damaged lumbar spine case to work with

I dont want to scare you but Meningitis can happen with leaking spinal fluid
    Are you feeling ok, no fever or chills?

Private email me anytime
    StenosisRose ( but stenosis free now)
  • Whatever happened? I'm in a similar boat you were in. Dizzy, ringing ears, nausea after ESI and had two blood patches. No relief.
    Thanks,
    Jenny

Slpstang02 said:
    Hello everyone. I am a newbie to this site and i am looking for advice/help and if anyone else has experienced what i am going through.

Little background.

I have a herniated disc (L5) i am a 31 yo male. I received an epidural injection. Two days later i became bedridden due to extreme dizziness and nausea and bad headaches. The symptoms become tolerable while laying in bed but got worse while standing/sitting. Two weeks later dr did a blood patch. All was fine 3 days later.

A month later i returned for a second epidural injection. 2 days later i became very dizzy, nauseous, headaches and lightheadedness. The dr thought it was a reaction to the steroid. 3 weeks later the dr was not convinced i had a leak. he conducted a caffeine iv to treat my headache. The iv cured the headache i had that morning but gave me a worse headache that night. After not working a week later another blood patch was conducted. The blood patch (In my opinion failed). The symptoms did not dissipate. Several weeks later the dizziness got worse to point i have been dizzy for 10 weeks now and bedridden for 3 weeks. When i stand i am off balance and stumble into things and i have this drugged/out of body, fuzzy feeling in my head. When i stand for longer periods of time or look around the room it gets worse to point i am about to vomit. The dr still not convinced that i have a leak sent me to a ear,nose and throat neurologist. He thinks its possibly a leak and does a test where he puts hot air and cold air in my ears (after almost vomiting) he said i had abnormal results. Nystagmus in right eye was 50% and 29% in left eye. he said average person is 15-25%. another test was done for pressure/fluid in my ears that came back normal. He now thinks its an "inner ear nerve virus" that has no name and not much is known about it.

I find it hard to believe that a virus would cause identical symptoms two days after a procedure done twice within one month.

i have been to two ER's, primary doctor, ENT etc etc. No one seems to think it is a leak. I have been trying to get an MRI done but no success yet.

My question is, has anyone else had this experience? does it sound like a leak to you? (Sorry for spelling, grammar, i typed this on my iPad). On a side note. Other day I didn't drink caffeine and was sitting a lot. I had such a bad headache I was laying on the floor under the toilet because I was on the verge of vomiting due to the pain in my head.

Thank you for any posts!
  • advertisement
  • I'm in a similar boat and would like to know your outcome. Had esi then developed headache 1 week post injections, then dizzy, nauseated, tinnitus. Had 2 blood patches done, no relief except headache isn't as bad. Had it for a month now. I need some hope and healing stories.
    Thx!
    Jenny
advertisement