Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Stenosis and Disability

Comments

• Dumb question, but how does the attorney get paid? If people are out of work they don't have the money to pay. This is not like your suing a company where that take their cut if you win damages, so how does this work?
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • If you win, they take a percentage of your back-pay. I think.
  • advertisement
  • the attorneys who help file for disabiity take a percentage of your back pay if you win. There is a cap on the amount they can recieve, I believe it's around 5,000.00
  • Scor38SScor38 Posts: 1
    edited 03/27/2014 - 3:25 PM
    Your post brought tears to my eyes! I am 37 years old and am active (I crossfit, run 1/2 marathons and tris). I had been dealing with neck pain for the past 10+ years and would "tweak" it, at least once a quarter. It was awful, to the point of taking time off of work. Last Nov I herniated C5-7. I thought I had ripped a muscle in my shoulder as it went into a charlie horse with no relief. I lost an incredible amount of strength in my left arm in the matter of days. I would cry at night and the only relief was putting my arm up over my head and stand in the shower. I finally had an MRI and learned that I was a medical emergency. I had DDD and spinal stenosis (terms were foreign to me). I had surgery 4 months ago and I feel great. I have a 5 and 6 year old. I am scared to death of my future, but I too thank God for my neurosurgeon! Take care and best of luck to you. xoxo
    Never Give Up
  • Getting disability is not as easy as my think. When you first apply for disability you will be turned down unless you have a terminal illness like stage 4 cancer. After you are turned down you then appeal the findings. Again most are turned down for the second time. This is when most who apply quit especially when they find out that the next step is to go in front of a judge to decide if you should get the disability or not. A this point it is very important you get a lawyer. The lawyer will look at all your records before deciding to take you on. Since the lawyer only gets paid if you win he will only take you on if you have a good change of winning. The lawyer has the inside information that can help you do well. In my case when went to see the lawyer the first time I was told to wear the exact clothes I had on when I see the judge. What I was wearing was a nice pair of pants and a button down short sleeve shirt and loafers (no heals) and light makeup. My lawyer then told me about one of his clients who showed up wearing a very short and tight fitting dress and high heals. The judge denied her getting disability. My lawyer went on to tell me that the judge I would see I liked to tell jokes. I was then told to be polite and smile but don't laugh to much because I was in pain. I received my disability but many do not because they just do not know how to play the game.
  • advertisement
  • If you read my "bio" you will see I have severe congenital stenosis with a collapsing spinal column from t11 down. I have 5 ruptured/herniated disks in my neck, and my entire lumbar spine is Calais destroyed, gone (ruptured/herniated does not apply). I had only seen the 2 ruptured in the thoracic from an MRI of the lumbar. I have serious spinal cord compressions, one tried to kill me in Jan of 2014. Also had a decompression in 4 levels of my lumbar, as walking was an issue. I am seriously disabled with 12 known ruptured disks and some of my vertebrae are half the size they should he. What makes my condition so serious is that pain sensors have ground away, so I don't had that much pain, I just start having dizzy spells and passing out due to the spinal fluid not reaching my brain sufficiently. I am dreading finding out how bad my thoracic is, but sometimes it hurts to breathe. I am on disability, but I have to say they tried to kick me off with 3 spinal cord compressions, 12 ruptured disks and all kinds of issues from my. 4 page MRI of my cervical and lumbar spine. I have severe congenital stenosis that has been life threatening, and could be again.
  • I did all my own disability and appeal. There is no reason to exaggerate or fake anything if you have current MRIs and a real medical issue that cannot be cured and/or has failed normal/treatments. Make sure all info is less that 6 months old, especially your MRI. Any info over a year old is not usually pertinent.
  • Great thread, thanks for good info.
    Question:
    I wonder about how my MRI apparently shows "no impairment" and yet I can be in so much pain and I wonder how to describe that to a neurologist I am scheduled to see for a disability application..??

I am 57, had bad car wreck at 39, was not expected to survive, then sent home after 16 days in ICU with vertical shear of pelvis repaired with a large pin through my pelvis and sacroiliac (and others elsewhere) with the prognosis of paralysis. I managed to recover much more than expected, walk and work and manage pain for years but the last ten years have been increasingly difficult: my back "goes out" - I have severe excruciating pain in my far lower back after sitting or standing or twisting in some way that I feel a snap - sort of- , and I literally can not move for about two to three days.
    Then with pain meds, massage, stretching, etc., I have less and less pain until it is almost "normal" with just some slight stiffness and pain - until it happens again.
    That was manageable when it was once a year, but over the past years has progressed to where it is now once every 2-3 weeks.

Last October, I fell at work and that caused my back to "go out" for almost 6 months - I was literally in bed for 6 months. I began to get a little better, and as soon as I could walk, the doctor discharged me form worker's comp and put 0% impairment on the form.
    When I asked him how it could be 0% impairment when I can barely walk (I walk with a cane and it takes time to get in and out of the car, turn, etc., I have to do everything very slowly and stop and stretch, etc, and can't sit or stand for more than 10 minutes or so without pain setting in so strongly I have to try to stretch it out or just go to bed for a few hours...).

He said there is nothing on the MRI but some stenosis.

Ok, I understand that there is nothing on the MRI from the fall at work, and I see the stenosis on the MRI, but what causes the "attacks" of pain and long periods to recover range of motion, stop having severe pain, etc. when it "goes out"?

I applied for disability. I have always worked one or two jobs (teacher, administrator), and tutored, and went to school until I finished my doctorate, I am not trying to avoid work, I just know I am unemployable and can't work, my back is ok today but my history tells me it won't last long, and I will be back in bed crying and wondering how I am going to survive....it has happened over and over again for the past years.

I wonder why "something" that causes my back to "go out" so severely so often does not show up on an MRI and how I could be 0% impairment when for more days than not, each month, I am in bed unable to move without excruciating pain. (do they just mean 0% impairment directly from the fall, or does that statement mean I have 0% impairment, period...because I agree that now my problem is not necessarily from the fall at work, I am now getting the same "back goes out" I used to get before the fall, BUT get them a lot more often now.)

I wonder what the disability doctor will say and how I can tell him that even if something is not on the MRI and the work's comp doctor said I am 0% impairment, I can not move, that majority of the days of each month?

I also am very depressed, profoundly depressed, but I think anyone would be that spends this much time in bed in pain, unable to move without severe pain, in my lower back. I take tramadol and 12 to 24 Ibuprofen, every day; I take oxycodone only on the first or second day when my back goes out- as little as possible, because I think it makes me more depressed.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Syndy
  • given that this was a wc doctor, he most likely was basing his impairment scale on the issue related to the fall and concludeed that you had no impairment related to that incident.
    have you seen a board certified spine surgeon to go over your mri with you, and to evaluate you by examining you , your symptoms and any imaging? if not, before applying for disability of any long term disability it would be wise to start with a new evaluation. find out what options you have regarding treatment, surgery or improvement.....
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step

https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/diagnostic-tests/getting-accurate-back-pain-diagnosis

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/lumbar-spinal-stenosis-a-definitive-guide
  • synsesssynses Posts: 2
    edited 05/17/2014 - 1:57 PM
    thanks for the welcome and info.

unfortunately, i have no medical insurance, no savings, and no job, so seeing a doctor is impossible for me right now. i live in florida, so no medicaid, either.

i already applied and the disability office scheduled me to see a neurologist next week. we shall see what he says from there.

thanks for the info and links, i agree/hope that seeing someone else is the answer, of course i hope i get disability and medicaid or medicare or whatever might come with it to be able to get healthcare, but at the very least, i hope that i can find out why i get the pain spasms or attacks or whatever they are called, and the debilitation that follows them.

it is such horrible pain there has to be a reason for it, a physical reason for it, not just "my mind". (-:
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step

https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/diagnostic-tests/getting-accurate-back-pain-diagnosis

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/lumbar-spinal-stenosis-a-definitive-guide
    Syndy
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.