Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How bad was post op pain?

Comments

• Will do!
    ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • FlapjackFFlapjack Posts: 15
    edited 12/10/2013 - 11:16 PM
    I am 1 month out from an L5-L6 fusion surgery ( yes a small percentage of people have L6). I am pretty much down to Tylenol, with the occasional Valium. I've started driving again so no Valium I'd say within 12 hours or so. Also, I just do not like the way the Valium makes me feel, but others may have had a better results.

Prior to surgery, the outside of my left leg was in and out of numbness. Generally, numb when sleeping and generally weak when awake. Furthermore, I had limited control over my left foot big toe. I had general instability and pain in low back due to spondy and disc between L5 L6 was pretty much gone. Where L5 and L6 occasionally "whacked" in to each other the bone was a darker color on the MRI. I forgot what this was called, but the surgeon had a term for it. I'm listing the symptoms so that my post op pain makes sense.

My left leg is no longer numb and I do have a bit more sensation in my big toe. However, I do have quite a bit of pain in the left leg generally from hamstring to calf. I was not expecting this and this has been my biggest hurdle. Walking lessens the pain sleeping worsens it. So I don't sleep more than 4 hours in any one session as the leg pain kicks in. It can get pretty rough upon waking. I did start PT early to work on the leg. It has gotten better, but the leg symptoms have been slow going. My back actually feels pretty good, with the ocasssional ache here and there. The incision site has healed nicely and not much pain there either. It will itch so I do echo the Benadryl recommendations.

There are several posts on this site talking about leg pain post op. I think everyone is probably a little different in their recovery, so take those posts with a grain of salt.

I hope this helps.

Greg

• advertisement
  • I so much appreciate the in put! What I'm mostly worried about is the post op/incisional pain I guess. I too have the problem of sleep making my back pain worse. I don't have leg pain but pain does go into my glute and hip joint. It's mostly on the left but it will go into the right also. I don't know if it's the same for you but it seems that the better and sounder I sleep the worse my pain gets! Was yours minimally invasive?

Anne
  • To me the incisional pain was really not bad. You will feel it, but to me it was more than tolerable given my pre op symptoms. They used a glue instead of staples, so if this is an option for you it might make it easier. My surgery really was not minimally invasive. It took almost 5 hours, most due to the decompression near left side nerve roots. I did "waddle" a bit toward the left side to compensate when walking, again pre op. so my left leg was quite a bit weaker than my right. So the leg symptoms do make some sense. Most current PT really revolves around learning to walk properly and strengthening the left leg. My regularly scheduled spine PT hasn't started yet.

I did have some right side pain pre op and I am happy to say that is gone. In your case it may just depend what's causing the leg an hip pain. It's probably worth asking your surgeon about these types of post op symptoms to get his or her read on things. Sleeping will be hard post op. it was easier in the hospital while on the heavier drugs. But once I went home it was more difficult. However, if it wasn't for the whole left leg pain I do think I'd be sleeping much better. Waking from sleep does seem to be the most painful part of it. Getting up and moving ASAP is key. I feel like I am improving but it is slow going.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best!
    Greg
  • I really do appreciate to feed back. I don't know why I'm getting so worked up over this! The first time was ALIF and I know that there is no way this time can be worse but I was told to expect it to be at least as painful. I just wish it was over and done with LOL

Anne
  • advertisement
  • So much depends on how well the hospital staff & surgeons do with your pain management. I had a hellish experience because my surgeon's PA had never dealt with someone that had been on long term narcotics (never had a pain pump, didn't sleep for the entire three days I was in the hospital because of pain, etc).

I would just say if you're concerned about the pain or your ability to advocate for yourself post-op, bring someone that can help you.
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.
advertisement