Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

More surgery


In 2008 I had anterior fusion and hardware installed on c5-6. In 2011 I had posterior surgery with harwdare at C4-7. These surgeries were brought on by my complaint of numbness in my arms while sleeping, in bed, in the car, on the recliner, only when im sleeping.

Met with surgeon yesterday, different surgeon and he thinks I now need surgery os C3-4 as there is now compression there that showed up after the last surgery. He says it is only a matter of time before i start showing symptoms such as dropping things because of loss of fine motor skills or loss of bladder control. He also said I should have it done sooner than wait till i start showing more symptoms as it might be too late then. My original numbness never went away and i have an extremly difficult time with sleep as the numbness keeps me awake.

Suggestions, advice, etc? Best neuro-surgeon in Boston area, etc? Thanks, Bill


  • trbleshterttrbleshter Posts: 7
    edited 12/16/2013 - 7:43 AM
    Bill, Sorry to hear about your worsening situation. I'd Put this surgery off as long as I could tolerate the pain without much loss of mobility. I just had an ACDF C-4/C-5 and am concerned that the adjoining spine sections will also weaken. I believe I'm healing well but will not really know until Jan when I see my surgeon again. I'd like to stay posted on what your surgeon recommends next. BTW did you have an OS or NS do your last 2 procedures? I STRONGLY SUGGEST you FIND the BEST NEURO in the AREA and get another opinion. I spent a lot of years in the Boston Area, (Retired BPD), and know that some of the BEST MD's in the country practice in the AREA. Are you far from Cambridge?
    Level - One & Done
  • http://www.spine-health.com/doctor/find-a-physician
    I have included the link at the top of the page of Spine Health to help you to locate a surgeon. Spine Health has many resources available for patients, including condition look up resources, a glossary to help decipher terms, and of course our patient forums.
    You can use the link above to help you find a listing of doctors in your area by using the search feature for your area.
    I always suggest that someone considering surgery consult with at least one board certified ortho and neuro spine surgeon , and if they agree, then you know that you are doing the right thing, if not, it gives you possibly some other options to consider. Since you are experiencing nerve related issues now, the longer you wait, the worse they can become if you wait too long, so it would be wise to see the surgeons sooner rather than later.
  • advertisement
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    I feel your pain,, 8 surgeries on my cervical area. It was one thing after another. Good luck
Sign In or Register to comment.