Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

NO RESPITE FOR US BACK/NECK PAIN SUFFERERS

advertisement

Comments

• Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 12/30/2013 - 8:38 AM
    Even tho I can still get around some I'm always looking for "what I can still do ". Or things that I can enjoy now that I couldn't before.

1 1/2 years ago I was basicly fine, so this all seems abrupt. I don't know we ever get used to it.

I can't think the right words...
  • You are right. An adjustment of attitude is what is required. Put the pain issue in one box and deal with it as best you can. Getting the medication dose right is an important step. Next the acceptance and adjustment of what you can do. If you can, discover interests which are within your present ability and you can enjoy, life will be, not perfect, but at least worth living.
    Today is not a good day but perhaps tomorrow will be better.
    John
  • advertisement
  • Hope we have many many good days this new year! ;)
  • john you are right on. instead of feeling sorry for one's self, one needs to put pain in the back of ones brain. i don't think about pain, i ignore it. i work, take trips, do things with the family, the only things i can't do are active things such as playing tennis, running and taking long walks. i went to disneyland and seaworld and to get around, i rented a wheel chair. it was not big deal. i don't talk about pain with my family or friends unless asked. it is a waste of time and energy to let it rule your life.what purpose does it serve to lie around and be depressed and alienate friends and family> if feeling bad makes one feel good then so be it. i have too much of my life left to let pain rule it. by the way i have had 4 fusions, and have been a chronic pain patient for 12 years. yes i take meds but they are like taking aspirin. i don't get the high feeling because my body is used to them and i don't take more than prescribed. i see my pain dr every other month for refills. i refused to go on disability even when i had the chance to. when i walk, i use a cane to get around. i have been teaching for 26 years and been in pain for 12 or so years. so once again, i refuse to let it rule my life..one needs to get a mind change about one's pain. like i said, it is a waste of energy to let it rule one's life.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I think I am better off than many on the forum. Right now anyway. If I do end up in a wheel chair I want it be electric with high speeds, a ramp put on the house so I can get out side a bah ha around the yard...
  • advertisement
  • In the 6 months leading up to the last marathon I ran I saw a Chropractor every week to get adjustments so I could continue running. Right after the marathon I got shingles, followed by pluresy followed by irregular heartbeat and a heart ablation surgery all inside of 3 weeks. Plus my back was killing me, my Dr looks at me and asked, "are you going to listen to your body now?" It's been telling you for months to stop running.
    Not running caused a lot of depression but I took up gardening and landscaping and stopped seeing a Chiropractor. In 2008 I had a cervical lamenectomy to stop the lose of strength in my left arm. In 2009/2010 I had 4 knee operations leading to a partial replacement of one knee (now a full replacement) As i was doing rehap from one of the knee ops my lower back locked up and found I had dessicated/and buldging discs. I had a major melt down in the parking lot of the clinic while calling my boss to let him know I needed another 3 weeks of time off.
    That meltdown was what I needed because I let it all out... There are days that pain kicks my @#$ but I wait for the next day to do what needs to be done. I am having a 3 level cervical fusion on the 20th, and while I am nervous I am not depressed or overly concerned, I'll get through it. If I can't garden this year, we'll it's someone elses turn to get yard of the month... I'll get it again next year..
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Bless your heart!
  • you and I have know each other a very long time {on here} but I have to disagree with you on one thing putting pain to the back of your mind ..IN MY CASE its not possible ..I have tried ..PAIN will stop me .I am not a wuss I was a hard working fit guy and would walk for miles work hard {I was in construction as an electrical engineer ..the hard type installing .big heavy electrical cables and conduits and massive switchgear working on building sites in all weathers ..so I know hard work .but now the pain is so constant it has changed me in so many ways including my body chemistry my hormone levels are all over the place the B12 LEVEL was dangerously low .my sleep is only 2 hours max and a ten years on oxycontin at a high level ,,this kind of pain is known as intractable ,,one step up from chronic .{but you know that jon} ..intractable pain is serious and life altering and life expectancy is lowered by as much as 20 years !! ..trust me jon I have tried to push myself to do stuff and I can not do it ..I have even had to get an electrical engineer to my home to do stuff that I could do {in my head } but unfortunately the body shot !! I am not having a go jon ..I am just stating the fact that after 3 spinal operations and more to come ..as well as a bladder op this year ..pain has effectively finished me off ..there are so many thing I want to do but when I have tried I am then very ill ..I have a ;;window of around 1/2 hours where I can push through the pain then it will take me and put me on my arse I forced myself to take my wife out on her birthday {50 on new years day {} we just went to the local pub that also sells food we took the kids and grandson and after 2 hours I was done ..my wife could see that I was fighting like a goldfish in a leaky bag ! .I needed to get home and get comfy change in to my shorts and get the fan on me ..the following day I was ill with pain ,,so FOR ME .its a none starter ,,same thing happened when I went to visit my girl in jersey{uk} I stayed in a hotel and even with the support from my ex wife she cooked for me and drove me around even carried my bags ..2 hours a day and I was finished ..after 4 days I had to throw in the towel I stayed in the hotel feeling ill and was ready for coming home .I wish at just 47 things were different .but I have to accept that this is now my life
    jon and anyone that can still work and who is not at the point where pain has gone that bit too far ..enjoy your life I know you are still in pain and will have rotten days and nights but trust me if you can still work /enjoy a meal out wear normal clothing /have sex /have a social life however small ..you are doing better than I am ..on that note ,,happy new year
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Could do something for you! But I will wish you a most comfy chair a cool fan an comfortable clothes and your loving family all around, an your friends here.

Sometimes in my flare ups all I can focus on is my pain an when is that pain pill going to kick in!!!!
  • tony
    maybe it is just a difference in the makeup of people. some people deal with pain better than others. it does not make one better than the other it is just a difference inherent in one's makeup. it is why some people can become seals in the military while others can't. some can deal with adverse situations better than others.i won't let chronic pain get the best of me, never will.
    happy new year
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement