Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hey all, I'm back!

Surgery was yesterday morning at 10 am for TILF at l4-l5. Took about 2.5 hrs and everything went well according to the neurosurgeon. The MRI I had done in August still matched up, so no new procedures were needed. The only real pain I had in the recovery room was a really deep lower back ache which, of course is to be expected after everything was done at that level. The anesthesiologist (who looked SO YOUNG) got me going stronger on the dialiid (or however you spell pronounce it) and things started feeling better in the low back. My other related pain is at a 1! Yep, that's right folks! My prayers were answered. I'm praying now that it will be the same as when I leave here!

Got up to my room about 3 PM, family stayed here unto about 4, then I got comfortable for the night. Ordered dinner off an extensive menu, then tried to get some rest while nurses, care managers, etc checked vitals all day and a night long. I wasn't able to get a good nights sleep because my drs office hadn't ordered any oral medications until this morning. So I had to push the pain pump button every 10 minutes or so. Tonight should be better since I'll have vicoden and a muscle relaxer.

I have a really dry mouth and a sore throat. Sore throat from the tube that was in it; dry mouth from the medications. One of the nurses on duty last night was able to find 2 lifesaver candies for me and I had my hubby bring me a bag of hard hard candy this morning. Really helps! I have my Chapstick for my lips, but it doesn't help the inside.

Catheter was taken out this morning without issue and I've walked to the bathroom twice now and once down the hallway with walker assistance. The physical therapist who helped me down the hall said he would order a wheeled walker for the house.

I don't want to jinx myself but I feel really good and I'm glad I had it done. I wanted to come back with an encouraging story and I think I have. Lots of prayers helped too. :-)

For those coming up in January, good luck! I keep you and your doctors in my prayers.
Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
advertisement

Comments

• Mama-SchueMMama-Schue Posts: 337
    edited 12/31/2013 - 6:32 AM
    Happy to hear that you made it to the other side. I hope your pain stays controllable but don't be shocked if you have pain return within the day. All those meds they put in you for surgery are not out yet so be sure to stay on top of pain meds. You will continue to be glad you made the choice to have the surgery.

Bless you and your Family as you enter into the New Year.
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • Yes, they started Vicodin and a muscle relaxer at noon, so I'm going to do what others have said....stay ahead of the pain. Just trying to stay positive and refuse to let the negative show their ugly faces. lol

Hope you're doing well!
  • advertisement
  • Sounds like you are having a great result so far and that is awesome. Take care of yourself and make sure to take it easy!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Hi ruby Tuesday,

How are you feeling today? How many days are you planning on being in the hospital? Hope you were able to "celebrate" the new year somehow.
  • SarahLindeau said:
    Hi ruby Tuesday,

How are you feeling today? How many days are you planning on being in the hospital? Hope you were able to "celebrate" the new year somehow.
    Hi Sarah,
    Got home about 12:30 today. Glad they discharged me since there were a LOT of people not working today. The front lobby was empty, as was the parking lot. But I figured I could take better care of myself than they could. Last night, they were 2 hrs late with the valium. And I had called them on it a couple of times. I just wasn't really impressed with the nursing staff overall. The only script I got to fill was for 10 mg Vicodin and it's not even helping that much. I'm calling my neuro's office tomorrow to see if I can get something stronger and add the valium too.

It's taking me forever to type this, so I'm signing off now. Hope you're feeling better.
  • advertisement
  • I know how you feel about being home; it's so much better being in your own bed and taken care of by family vs the hospital. My dr only wrote me an rx for 20 Valium and wouldn't refill it, due to the type of medicine, but I've managed to taper off of it just fine in my first week and a half at home. I hope you can relax and feel better soon!
  • I'm glad to hear your surgery went well and you're home resting. Your experience seems a lot like mine- and the relief I feel (L5/S1 fusion on 5/1/13) is amazing. I had my ups and downs during recovery but am feeling 100% better!! Be sure to rest, no bending/lifting/twisting and get lots of walking in. :-D You'll be back to new in no time. :)
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 01/02/2014 - 2:36 AM
    So how's life at 8 months post op? Are you still on any meds?
  • odouglassoodouglass Posts: 264
    edited 01/02/2014 - 4:08 AM
    Wow, I cannot believe I am 8 months post-op! I am thankfully not on ANY meds-- I was on Lyrica for a few months but am off of that now and doing great. At 6 months I was fully fused so that is a relief. I am feeling great, I still have some pain down my leg if I overdo it, but my nerve is permananetly damaged so that is bound to happen. But, oh so much better!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • I just wanted to jump in here and say that I'm happy to hear your surgery went so well!! I hope you are continuing to improve & that have gotten you got your med situation straightened out and are now on the proper doses of everything!!! Take care of yourself I am wishing your many many pain free days ahead :-)
advertisement