Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back to square one

I had my appointment with my surgeon today and was all prepared to schedule my fusion and either join January surgery buddies or start a February surgery buddies thread. But to my dismay, this wasn't the case ( at least not yet).

I have started having symptoms in my hands and fingers. I've also been getting frequent headaches. They feel like hangover headaches, but I don't drink. I really haven't paid much attention to it because my neck doesn't hurt. He checked my reflexes of my hands and they aren't as they should be, although my strength is good.

So instead of scheduling surgery he is sending me for another MRI of my cervical spine and my brain. I'm happy that he is thorough and wants to make sure he is treating the right problem and making the correct diagnosis. I'm also feeling light a balloon that just got popped. I did so much research, had all of my questions ready, and now I feel very frustrated that I'm still hanging on trying to find out exactly what's wrong.

I hope and pray everyone has a very blessed and healthful 2014!
Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
advertisement

Comments

• Mama-SchueMMama-Schue Posts: 337
    edited 01/01/2014 - 4:18 AM
    Amy that has got to be so hard to deal with. I dont know what I would have done if I was in your place, cry for sure. Hopefully the MRI will give some insight as to what is going on. I will be thinking of you and hope that you can find answers reall soon.

(((HUGS)))
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • as disappointing as this news might be, I'm also sure that you are glad that your surgeon is prepared to investigate and be sure of what surgery is necessary and what is not, so that you don't find yourself in the uneviable position of finding out that the lumbar surgery didn't resolve the problem and you are left facing another.......
    It is a wise surgeon who is listening to his patients concerns and is willing to postpone surgery to be sure it is the right thing for his patient.
    Best of luck to you,
    Sandi
  • advertisement
  • Sandi and Kristy,
    Yes, I am very happy that my surgeon is so conservative and not willing to do anything until he is 100% sure. I've decided to just " let it go" and wait to see what the new MRI shows. There is no sense in worrying about some thing that is completely out of my control at the moment. I've got to save my energy for the current day and any other decisions that need to be made, IE: kids, hubby, finances, etc....
    I'll be sure to keep you posted regarding any new info I get and continue to lend my support to you, and anyone who needs it.

Amy
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014