Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

t8 to t9. t9 to t10 fusion. month post op. what should I expect.

draydayddrayday Posts: 23
edited 01/03/2014 - 7:40 PM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi all. I'd try posting pictures but I haven't figured that out yet. I'm 35 yo male. I'm strong otherwise. I'm on testosterone supplement due to Year's of pain meds from this issue. Waking from surgery the main pain feels like it was gone. Right when I woke up from surgery I knew it . Besides the absolute severe rib and surgical pain.. so every day I been pushing my limits of what I'm not suppose to do. I am bending and twisting and lifting. Nothing major and nothing I think would hurt me . My fusion is in the middle of my rib cage so it's hard to twist this area anyway. I squat down to pick up stuff I drop. I help my son with his new Christmas toys. I put a couple socks on but I realize that this is something I should not do myself. So I have not. Right now in the morning I feel pretty good in my upper back. Every few hrs I feel like I should sit but I like to tinker and work on stuff. I have o.c d undiagnosed so I like to stay active. I will lay down mid day like on Christmas day after waking early. Going to in laws for ham and gifts. Or helping wife (more like watching) wife take down Christmas lights. She was on ladder I was winding up the lights.

So today I still feel the incision pain from the scar and where the spread my ribs appart when I touch it. My stomach to my left side is numb from cutting incision.
I get a lot of ccramps under my shoulder blades where before I used to get severe pain from my herniation. But now I think it's from my weak core and just weak muscle.
I can feel a smidgen of pain where the screws and plate are (I think) but I can't really tell. I hope so bad I'm doing well. It's just been so long. .. so at night I do have pain but it's from my left side and a bit from the spine. Is this normal? The spine pain is nothing like before.
I am still on the same amount of pain meds as before but my pain dr. Expects me to be on them for about 3 more months. The rib pain is no joke right now . Just really want to see what others think. It's gonna be a real challenge to ween of 13 years of opioid use. I did 140 mg. Of oxycontin to 6 percocet in one day with a few sweaty days because some lame dr. Said my pain was in my head and I needed to start yoga and ween off. About a year ago. I can't wait to feed him some shoe

Thank you all
Praise be to God!
Multi level partial laminectomy at age 19. L5s1 L4 L3. Thoracic pain started in 2001 found herniation in t8 and t9 in 2011 multi level thoracic fusion Dec 4 2013, Los fusion near future. And other thoracic pain.......
advertisement

Comments

• I do have a big brace that limits movement so I do stay pretty tight all day even when doing things I should be waiting. Trust me. I don't want to do this again. I'm being careful not to hurt myself.
    drayday said:
    Hi all. I'd try posting pictures but I haven't figured that out yet. I'm 35 yo male. I'm strong otherwise. I'm on testosterone supplement due to Year's of pain meds from this issue. Waking from surgery the main pain feels like it was gone. Right when I woke up from surgery I knew it . Besides the absolute severe rib and surgical pain.. so every day I been pushing my limits of what I'm not suppose to do. I am bending and twisting and lifting. Nothing major and nothing I think would hurt me . My fusion is in the middle of my rib cage so it's hard to twist this area anyway. I squat down to pick up stuff I drop. I help my son with his new Christmas toys. I put a couple socks on but I realize that this is something I should not do myself. So I have not. Right now in the morning I feel pretty good in my upper back. Every few hrs I feel like I should sit but I like to tinker and work on stuff. I have o.c d undiagnosed so I like to stay active. I will lay down mid day like on Christmas day after waking early. Going to in laws for ham and gifts. Or helping wife (more like watching) wife take down Christmas lights. She was on ladder I was winding up the lights.

So today I still feel the incision pain from the scar and where the spread my ribs appart when I touch it. My stomach to my left side is numb from cutting incision.
    I get a lot of ccramps under my shoulder blades where before I used to get severe pain from my herniation. But now I think it's from my weak core and just weak muscle.
    I can feel a smidgen of pain where the screws and plate are (I think) but I can't really tell. I hope so bad I'm doing well. It's just been so long. .. so at night I do have pain but it's from my left side and a bit from the spine. Is this normal? The spine pain is nothing like before.
    I am still on the same amount of pain meds as before but my pain dr. Expects me to be on them for about 3 more months. The rib pain is no joke right now . Just really want to see what others think. It's gonna be a real challenge to ween of 13 years of opioid use. I did 140 mg. Of oxycontin to 6 percocet in one day with a few sweaty days because some lame dr. Said my pain was in my head and I needed to start yoga and ween off. About a year ago. I can't wait to feed him some shoe

Thank you all
    Praise be to God!
    Multi level partial laminectomy at age 19. L5s1 L4 L3. Thoracic pain started in 2001 found herniation in t8 and t9 in 2011 multi level thoracic fusion Dec 4 2013, Los fusion near future. And other thoracic pain.......
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 01/04/2014 - 6:53 PM
    I can not strongly caution you enough to follow the restrictions put in place by your surgeon exactly as they are given, no matter how "well" you feel since your surgery or you will wind up undoing all of the good that this surgery was supposed to accomplish.....those restrictions are put in place for a reason, you can dislodge the fusion material, cause a worse compression of the canal or the nerve roots, cause a new herniation , and so much worse.
    No matter how much better you feel, until the fusion process is complete, doing what you are doing is going to compromise the benefits/purpose of having the surgery.
  • advertisement
  • draydayddrayday Posts: 23
    edited 01/07/2014 - 6:07 PM
    I'm certainly taking it easy . But it's hard to say what easy is. I make sure to keep my spine straight. I'm trying to stay active with the rest of my body. It is definitely not easy knowing what limits are. Bending ? I keep straight but I get down on my knees to pick up stuff. Lifting? I don't lift anything heavier than a laptop or 12 pack of soda. Twisting? Very hard to say. .. let's just ask , is twisting without brace to clean myself in the shower ok? Or with my brace I'll make the bed and make sure to keep everything nice and straight. Just day to day stuff. I can feel most of the pain is in the ribs. Am I asking for to much not to feel anything from the spine? It's definitely not the same . It's probably the healing and the hardware.

I'm just scared. Thanks for the reply
  • glad i found your post...I will be following your recovery...hopefully you stick around on this forum. weening the pain meds is certainly a tough endeavor but worth the it in the long run if you can. I don't judge anyone who lives on them anymore...chronic pain is something you cannot fathom until you endure....

from most of the experiences i have read online you should expect the rib pain at the surgery site for quite a while...most people seem to take a full year to heal up...sometimes even a little longer. Just be patient and stick to your restrictions. Its good to see you are enjoying life as you can with your kids...thats really what is important in the long run.

be praying for you to heal up quick and be a success story.
  • Hi everyone. So last week Saturday I woke up. All was ok. Just saw dr. We before and he said I was doing perfect. Also using less pills. So Saturday I got a sharp pain under my left shoulder blade tip and in my spine. So I stress out.i take it easy for the rest of the weekend and the next day it's better but noticable. I call the dr. On Monday and they say it's normal cut back on my movements. My dr.said I could use my brace only when walking so now when I was at home I was lazy and didn't use it when doing small things. I am sure I was bending or kneeling properly like in usually do but nothing abnormal. I'm scared. Today I know I still need low back fusion in about 2 years once I make sure I still have a job and I know for sure I have some issue in my t12 or something close . I even asked the surgeon to look while he was in there. He said he wasn't able to look and one step at a time. So I have a mush of pain. For sure lower left rib pain is still strong. For sure t12 area is hurting. When I touch my surgery area it's painfull. I should be expecting this. I'm just worried that I felt so much better 2 weeks ago then I do today . It's not getting better and not getting worse either right at the moment when I take my meds I do feel better. I'm a stress case and a perfectionist at work and play so I need to also take this into account. Any encouragement is appreciated.
  • advertisement
advertisement