Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Osteochondrosis?

I've been having pretty bad back pain (middle and lower back) for about 8 months. I've just had a CT scan which showed I have osteochondrosis. I have googled it and still don't really understand it. The pain is really getting to me. I take codeine 30-60mg every 4 hours. It turns the volume down on the pain but it still hurts. My doc says with the right physical therapy, I will get better. I hope so, but I'm scared I won't.

Does anyone else have this problem?
advertisement

Comments

• sorry mcjimjam....i feel your pain...i started with left leg pain and right foot drag in 2011, now i have severe spinal pain, mid and lower, hip, and right leg pain above the ankle and right foot and butt cramping...i now walk with a walker when outside my home....i had a brain and thoracic spine MRI, the results i got today...nothing! i do have severe overgrowth of the facet joints with degenerative changes but the neurologists said this is just age appropriate...i am exhausted ...in so much pain..don't want to take any meds but tylenol until i get a diagnosis...but non is given...6 months ago a pain clinic dr. said it was over sensitivity of the central nervous system....i give up...really ...want to just give up...i feel your pain.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 01/08/2014 - 4:26 PM
    terig said:
    sorry mcjimjam....i feel your pain...i started with left leg pain and right foot drag in 2011, now i have severe spinal pain, mid and lower, hip, and right leg pain above the ankle and right foot and butt cramping...i now walk with a walker when outside my home....i had a brain and thoracic spine MRI, the results i got today...nothing! i do have severe overgrowth of the facet joints with degenerative changes but the neurologists said this is just age appropriate...i am exhausted ...in so much pain..don't want to take any meds but tylenol until i get a diagnosis...but non is given...6 months ago a pain clinic dr. said it was over sensitivity of the central nervous system....i give up...really ...want to just give up...i feel your pain.
    Hi Terig. Sorry to hear you are suffering. It really sucks to be in pain and not having an explanation of that pain. I feel like my CT scan may not fully explain my symptoms. I would urge you to use pain medication if it is prescribed to you. Being in constant, debilitating can really reduce a persons quality of life. It also has negative effects on the body and the mind. I think it is far better to have your pain controlled. There are some differences in what pain meds are used based on a persons diagnosis but generally most people are on similar drugs. Opiates tend to be effective for many types of pain. NSAIDs, steroids, nerve blockers and muscle relaxants are more specific. Only opiates seem to help me. I take an NSAID and nerve blocker as well but they don't do much.
  • advertisement