Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

what path should I take?

Hello everyone,
I'm happy to find a group where I can share my own personal experience and hopefully get some useful advices.

I'm 23 years old in good shape. I have a15mm herniated disc on the L5-S1 disc. However I have not experienced any extreme pain or disorders in my walking abilities. The only symptoms I have is an insistent burning on my left hip that seems more like a burn after the gym. After I went to the doctor where he suggested to have an MRI, I came across with a "massive" herniation. The doctor immediately suggested surgery saying that even though the clinical condition is not requiring surgery the size of the herniation can cause very serious neurological damage and has to be removed as soon as possible. I was quite terrified. Surgery was the only option? I went on and asked more doctors and they gave me the same answer. They say that physiotherapy will have no results and that chances are that the herniation will continue to grow to cause serious damage to the nerves. However there was one doctor that told me that since my clinical condition is not as bad I should wait, have some physiotherapy and see how it goes.
To tell you the truth I don't trust people that don't give a second option especially when they have much to gain (from surgery). I'm to the point now that I need to do something ether surgery or physiotherapy. Doesn't seem to be a strait answer to it. So I would be grateful if you could give me some more advice to make my decision easier.
Thank you all in Advance!


  • LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

    i am sure that you will find your time on spine-health very rewarding. this site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main spine-health menu bar

    spine-health main menu tabs

    conditions detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    treatment list of treatments to the conditions identified by spine-health.
    wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    spine-health forums these are the forums you will be using
    find a doctor this provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    doctor advice health center the resource tab, has many important features. you can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    health videos index to all spine-health videos

    as a bonus, spine-health provides these patient forums. here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. you will soon become part of the spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. you are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.


    - it is very important to understand the forum rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

    - all new members must read our faq in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on spine-health forum faq

    i am positive any member, new or old will find this chroinc pain - step by step thread very valuable.

    here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

    read before you post
    tips for newcomers
    understanding the rules

    all of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

    you can also find spine-health on these social networks

    facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    pinterest https://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    twitter https://twitter.com/spinehealth

    if you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the spine-health moderators








    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,522
    first of all, i know that all of the new news to you has to be somewhat terrifying. to hear the words 'massive' and immediate surgery would rattle anyone.

    i suggest that you take a look at the following:
    herinated disc
    pain management
    spinal surgery

    they will give you more detailed information. it is always the best thing to become really educated in the area that you are having a problem in and being faced with potential surgery

    many times, people with herniated discs really do not feel alot of pain. most of the time, the pain is associated when a disc is impinging on a nerve root. that would generate the pain in your butt and also down your leg. that is the classic sciatica condition.

    when this does happen, doctors tend to perform surgery sooner than later. the problem in waiting is that the nerve root is being damage and if it goes too long untreated you could wind up with permanent nerve damage.

    i've had a number of spinal surgeries. on my third lumbar surgery, i waited about 6 months after we knew that a disc was pressing on a nerve root. finally, i could not take the pain any longer and i was having trouble walking. the surgery went fine, but it took almost a year before the nerve pain went away. i was left with some permanent nerve damage from my knee down to my foot. i have a partial dropped foot because of this. nothing major, just something i need to be aware of.

    next time you see you doctor, discuss all the pros and cons of having surgery now versus waiting. i am a firm believer that all conservative treatments should be tried once or perhaps twice before having surgery. but all of that depends on the severity of the disc condition and the impact on the nerve root.

    since you stated that another doctor also agreed with the condition and treatment, i would just want to know from the doctor if the surgery should be done now. back surgeries are so much more common now. it is almost getting routine for some spinal surgeons.

    one of the most important things right now is to realize if you have trust and confidence in your doctor.

    here is something else worth reading questions to ask your doctor before spinal surgery

    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • thank you for your Help!
  • The issue with a herniation of that size is the danger of a surgical emergency for a conditon called Cauda Equina Syndrome, which is basically a compression of the nerves in the spinal canal in the lumbar area, which if left too long untreated, can result in permanent damage, including but not limited to paralysis, damage to the bladder and bowel to empty on their own, as well as neurological damage.
    The best and most reasonable option is to remove the herniation and release the pressure on the spinal nerves as soon as possible to minimize the chances for CES and permanent damage.
Sign In or Register to comment.