Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Had my injection this morning..

Well, I had my 1 year post-op fusion CT scan this morning, followed by my left SI joint gold standard injection. The doctor in radiology was very nice and when she finally "hit" the joint I burst into tears. She told the nurses "Oh man, she's crying!" Hahaha. They gave me the anesthetic quickly after that and I got a fair amount of relief and a "spaghetti leg", but the pain is down from an 8 to a 5 in just 3 hours! My follow-up with my surgeon is a week from today.

My only issue is I know insurance is going to push PT on me when I know it will waste 6 weeks of time and only result in a double-SI fusion. Luckily I have one of the nation's best surgeons for treating SI joint dysfunction.

How many of you have SI problems following a lumbar fusion? I had an L4-S1 ALIF done on 1/4/13 and was fused by 6 months. This is undoubtedly what caused the SI problems. I'm a bit discouraged that such a major surgery has resulted in more chronic pain...
DDD L4-5 & L5-S1 w/ herniation
Failed discectomy, 8-15-11
Discogram, 11-14-12
L4-S1 ALIF (2 plastic cages, 2 plates and 8 screws), 1-4-13
FBSS & SI joint dysfunction, 12-30-13
1 year post-op CT hardware scan & left SI joint injection, 1-17-14
advertisement

Comments

• My surgeon placed screws through my SI joints to **hopefully** prevent SI problems in the future. I know this is common with full lumbar fusions, not sure why it isn't with the lesser levels. Sorry you are having to get this fixed too. Hopefully that will be the last thing.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • My surgeon's PA seemed very surprised when she asked if they fused my SI joints when they did my ALIF and I said no. I am guessing I was a high risk to begin with. Your doc was smart to do preventative screws like that, as I've heard any and all lumbar fusion patients are at high risk for future SI problems. I'm only 28 and one of my surgeon's youngest multilevel fusion patients, which makes this even more frustrating for both of us. (Not to mention I have a 5 y.o. little boy and am about to see a judge for my disability hearing.)

Sorry, I totally just went on a rant. My apologies! Chronic pain will do that to us. ;-)
    DDD L4-5 & L5-S1 w/ herniation
    Failed discectomy, 8-15-11
    Discogram, 11-14-12
    L4-S1 ALIF (2 plastic cages, 2 plates and 8 screws), 1-4-13
    FBSS & SI joint dysfunction, 12-30-13
    1 year post-op CT hardware scan & left SI joint injection, 1-17-14
  • advertisement