Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Bone packing material fusion ct question

Danigirl123DDanigirl123 Posts: 60
edited 01/17/2014 - 9:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey! I'm 7 months post op 4 level spinal fusion for scoliosis. I just had a ct scan because I'm still have a lot of pain. As far as X-rays goes, doctor didn't see bone growth but on my ct scan the radiologist said that he sees bone packing material at the fusion lesion. Question is, is bone packing material the Same as bone growth from my own bone,? I' don't know if this is a stupid question and if any one on here can answer that. That's really all the radiologist said on the report besides no fracture or loose screws or spondylitis.
Thanks for any information on bone packing material Vs. natural bone growth.
28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
advertisement

Comments

• That is a good question, when do you have your follow up to get the surgeon's opinion?
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I go next Wednesday to see surgeon. Which I clearly have to wait, I was just wondering if anyone on here had some experience with this. The radiologist was so vague on what he wrote. I have had some radiologist in the past go level by level and write what they see even if its nothing, then you got this guy who writes basically nothing except no fractures and bone growth material noted. Makes for the patient to be frustrated until you see the doctor. I just want to know if I'm fusing like any normal person would after a multi level fusion or any fusion at that. No one wants to go through surgery again, and no one wants to be in pain for no reason either
    28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
  • advertisement
  • The term "bone packing material" is a pretty rare one on Google. The radiologist may have been referring to graft material, rather than growing bone, but only they know for sure.
    August 2013 C7-T1 MED
    July 2013 L4-L5-S1 TLIF
    December 2011 C5-C6 ADR
    April 2009 L5-S1 MED
  • @spine s, yes after I've been doing some research I figured the radiologist just meant the allograft that was used. What pissed me off is i payed for the radiologist to read my reprt and he read it like an ass. No info at all. I've read that radiologist don't like to read spine fusion with hardware for 2 reasons.. Thy are afraid of looking like an idiot infront of the surgeon and they get nervous because the hardware can cause shadows and read something that's not there. Either way, thank you for your comment. I'll just have to wait to see the doctor.
advertisement