Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Stop writing script for pain medications Can or can not do by Doctor

Hello, I have been taking oxycontin 80mgs for 5 years now, I went to a place to get help (detox) to help get off them, they gave me a urine test and came back as an opiate in my system, But my doctor seem to believe it is heroin and will not write any more scripts for me, I stated that I am addicted and will go thru withdrawls but he told me to go to emengency, which my insurance will not cover all the cost. My questions is, is it legal to just stop treating me without some type of treatment or detox? Or he should give me a 30 day supply until I find another doctor that will prescribe it for me?
Gary Davis
advertisement

Comments

• They can stop at anytime is my understanding especially if a urine test looks bad to the doc.
    Sorry
    AL S
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,518
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

tamtam

Liz

Sandi

JellyHall

********************************************************************************************

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 01/24/2014 - 11:27 AM
    You don't say what you are taking the Oxycontin for ( medical condition) or who was giving it to you, but if your doctor was providing the medication for a medical condition, he could have easily tapered you off the amount of Oxycontin you were taking, if you had discussed your wanting to do that with him.
    Who did you go to to get help with getting off the Oxycontin? Did you go to a suboxone or subutex doctor? If so, and you were taking another substance in place of the Oxycontin, then that would explain why you failed the test. Who gave you the test? The place you went to for help or your regular doctor?
    Anytime that a patient does not comply with dosing schedules or takes other medications not approved of by their prescribing doctor, they are at risk of getting dismissed from being able to continue their care with that doctor and it usually results in a much more difficult time finding another doctor to treat them.
    Does he have to give you 30 days worth of medications, NOPE, not at all. In fact, it is against the law for him to provide opiates to someone who tells them they are addicted........and he also does not have to send you for treatment either. He can, if he wants to tell you where those facilities might be but he does not have to do anything other than dismiss you.
  • a few years ago i was waiting in the drs office and a woman told me she was on worker;s comp. one day she was waiting for her refill at the office and her case manager came in and took her out and to a rehab place. a dr does not have to do anything to help or not. my pain ddr sends his famous 15 day notice saying he will not longer treat someone. what is worse is that you will get a bad reputation though other pain doctors. doctors do warn others about people who misuse or abuse meds and then you will be up the perverable poo poo creek without a paddle if that happens. no one in your area will treat you if that happens. people have to be careful with contracts and pain doctors. they don't have to do anything except to say i will no longer treat you
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • terror8396 said:
    a few years ago i was waiting in the drs office and a woman told me she was on worker;s comp. one day she was waiting for her refill at the office and her case manager came in and took her out and to a rehab place. a dr does not have to do anything to help or not. my pain ddr sends his famous 15 day notice saying he will not longer treat someone. what is worse is that you will get a bad reputation though other pain doctors. doctors do warn others about people who misuse or abuse meds and then you will be up the perverable poo poo creek without a paddle if that happens. no one in your area will treat you if that happens. people have to be careful with contracts and pain doctors. they don't have to do anything except to say i will no longer treat you
    jon
    For some reason I was never asked to sign a contract with my PM office. I make sure I never run out of my prescribed medicines or give them any reason to cut me off. There is so much in the papers by me with doctors selling prescriptions for cash, people robbing pharmacies, etc.

LT
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • advertisement
  • All addicts who abuse drugs become dependent to the drug they abuse. However not everyone who is dependent to a medication is a addict. You body will react to just about every medication if it is taken for a certain amount of time and is just stop. For example someone who is taking blood pressure pills and just stops them may have side effects and a very dangerous spike it blood pressure. This can also happen with some over the counter medication such as cold medication. You have your stuffed up nose then after a period of time your realize that you should be over your cold. Instead though you find yourself needing to take the stuff more often. You stop the medication and you can't breath though your nose for a week but your body adjusts and things are back to normal. When a addict take pain medication they are addicted to how the side effects make them feel. When someone first starts to use opiates for pain there is usually a adjustment period of slowly increased meds until there is proper pain control. When that happens many pain patients can stay at that dose for months or even years before the meds need to be increased or adjusted. Addiction is a disease and as it gets worse behavioral issues start to show up. Some may get in trouble after a month or two of using other maybe wearing 3 piece suits and can hide it for years until the downward process starts. If your doctor thought that you were taking Heroin he could have ordered a more thorough drug test that would have let him know exactly what opiates you were taking.
    My guess from what you have written is that when your doctor found out that you went to some detox place to get help instead of talking to him to stop the medication he wanted nothing to do with you because now it was in the record. Again I do not know all the facts but you may have had a different outcome if you stated that you were tired of being dependent of the medication and would like to tapper off of them instead of saying you were addicted to them. While the doctor is not required to do so if he thought you were really having a problem it would have been nice if he could have given you some ideas and or names where you could have gotten some help getting off the medication safely.
    Today doctors are so afraid of losing there license they will drop patients for any hint that a patient is abusing there pain medication. A lot of people are hurting today because of it.
  • I had a friend they tried to do that to she hired a lawyer and the judge said she was disabled and needed those meds to have a quality of life and they could not cut her off because of a failed drug test Marijuana. the state law hre in Ohio also says if they do try to discharge as a patient they must give you 30 days worth of your meds
  • starrrsstarrr Posts: 31
    edited 10/09/2014 - 12:11 PM
    gdchief1955 said:
    Hello, I have been taking oxycontin 80mgs for 5 years now, I went to a place to get help (detox) to help get off them, they gave me a urine test and came back as an opiate in my system, But my doctor seem to believe it is heroin and will not write any more scripts for me, I stated that I am addicted and will go thru withdrawls but he told me to go to emengency, which my insurance will not cover all the cost. My questions is, is it legal to just stop treating me without some type of treatment or detox? Or he should give me a 30 day supply until I find another doctor that will prescribe it for me?
    From everything I've ever read online it seems like doctors don't have to do that. They can drop a patient pretty easily and leave them with no medication, unless it would endanger their life, and opiod withdrawal isn't considered life threatening.
  • It's worth explaining your situation to your GP. They might write your prescriptions & help you find a new pain management doctor. No-one has to write prescriptions for us. The current enviroment sucks!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I feel bad for you.it's difficult being in pain. I got lucky for some reason. I don't get constipated or dependant on pain medication. but I have never taken them for more than 3 months. I had 2 surgeries recently back to back but I stopped taking the medication for 5 weeks in between surgeries. I use a natural remedy for a few days to clean out my system. look into that. at any good vitamin store you can get a natural detox system. feel better.
    James rinaldi
advertisement