Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

about me and my back issues

Comments

• dilauro said:
    I hope that you re-think everything about weight lifting and body tone. Its great to have a healthy outlook on your body and then you want it to be the best it can be.

But, you do need to recognize what impact and limitations your spine has done with all of that. Do too much, ignore any limitation and restriction and you might obtain something you never wanted.

Listen to your body, understand it, but please do not abuse it.
    Thank you for the input and I will listen to the body and keep healthy. I realize i won't be arnold but if i can stay fit and build my erector spinae and all other muscle groups back there it may also lower the risk of needing another operation and help keep proper spine form.

as for the working with a trainer, I have my personal trainning cert and working on a CSCS, understanding about how the body functions and how to train it is a passion. My story isn't ment to offend in anyway I hope I can inspire people to not give up on something they love even if odds are not in their favor. Team USA didn't give up in 1980 when everyone counted them out. Just because you have a condition doesn't mean you have to quit everything you love. As long as we get a green light from our doctors we can live with our fusions and we can still conqure goals.
    after every operation you must push on
  • Lift that 325 pounds again. Good grief! You are making your doctor a lot of money.!!!!

You probably can't resist but learn about your spine! I wish I had healthy back. And when guys like you want to go right back to weight lifting I always wonder do they really understand?
  • advertisement
  • I'm a weight lifter too. Before my last injury I benched 225 lbs for reps and my record was 315 lbs. I had a 385 lb squat and so on. Now I take it more cautiously and have eliminated a lot of lifts maybe for good. If it hurts, I don't do it. I pay attention to strict form and add more sets and reps rather than upping the ampunt of weight. My lifts are all in the 130-190 lb range and I'm doing fine. Less is more sometimes especially with a WL injury history like yours.

LT
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • There are many who have had surgery and still move forward,
    Ronnie coleman who i have had a fair amount of interaction had C4-C6 or 7 fused and he still lifts BIG! As long as my surgeron says you can lift just leave out the XYZ and listen to your body I really don't see a problem. my goal is sub8%bf and body weight of 210-225.

LT- I think squats and deads for 1rm may be out for us but benchpress can still be done with out issues, also most every arm,and leg work outs too. i will even go as far as mid and upper back we just need to be extra careful on workouts that stress the lower spine.

Again I don't and didn't mean to offend people who have had it worst then me, I just think you shouldn't give up on things you love.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,518
    I cant see how you offended anyone, but I do you like your mindset
    kroberts9 said:

I just think you shouldn't give up on things you love.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Thanks Ron, When i go to my appointments and just see and over hear people talking I can't help but to face palm because everyone seems to lose all hope in recovery. I know everyone is different and every situation is too, but with out a positve mind set how can things get better? I like to think that even though we have spine issues from and accident or from birth we can over come or disabilities and lead a happy productive lifestyle. I truly hope to inspire and help people on this site.
advertisement