Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Has anyone done Hyodro Therapy post-op two level lumbar fusion?

My doctor is recommending hydrotherapy in place of regular exercise based PT. I think this will be the best course of pain relief for myself because of a complication during or immediately proceeding surgery; area at L5S1 has collapsed and uncertain if it will worsen with time. So, anyone have this type of therapy?? If so, what are your opinions and results?
Appreciate any and all information/guidance.
LeeLee
advertisement

Comments

• Hi LeeLee, yes I had hydro therapy initially after my L4/L5/S1 fusion last February. My initial Physio sessions were all in the pool! and it provides for a means to mobilise without adding your usual body weight to the equation! making movement far easier during the early stages. I progressed to land Physio after about 6 weeks, by which time I had recovered from the surgery and had been increasing my walking activities as well. I found it a great way to begin moving, in fact I marvelled at how flexible I could be whilst in the pool, compared to out of it!
  • LeeLee... Absolutely works.. What Nick said is so true.. I am six months post op (Open lumbar laminectomy and decompression S1 - L5) .. The only place I feel totally comfortable with max mobility is in the pool.. Just follow you Physician's and Professional Therapist's advice.. Water provides a good amount of "resistence" so be careful and go slow and easy at first.. If you have access to a pool with walking lanes, rails, etc.. they are great for a variety of exercises and balance therapy.. Good luck.
    carl
  • advertisement
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 171
    edited 02/12/2014 - 2:50 PM
    nick and carl, first and foremost thanks for all of your input. it is so much better to have an idea of what to expect with people like myself who are use to having pain being a part of our daily lives and what helps and what doesn't. one more question in regards to aqua therapy or land therapy; either immediately following my two level fusion l5/s1 fractured and collapsed. the pain i have is like my **edit**". my surgeon believes the cage inserted into the lower disc space could not withstand the pressure,hence the fracture and collapsing. he says eventually it will heal but i just can't get around how does any type of activity keep the fracture from getting worse? x-rays taken 3 weeks apart shows a considerable difference (compression wise) from each other. any of you hear of this type of complication and if so, how did pt do after therapy? thank you in advance for your input. leelee

post edited by sandi

post edited by sandi for inappropriate forum language
    please see the links below for more information
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/inappropriate-language
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525
    edited 02/12/2014 - 6:25 AM
    I've been doing this for over 5 years now, both under the guidance of a therapist and as an independent person, which means, I get at technician to watch, but not covered by insurance.

I've had Aqua therapy for my :
    • - Lumbar Surgeries- Cervical Fusions- Thoracic disc herniation- Both shoulders totally replaced- Both hips totally replaced- And to keep my body loose and stretch my muscles
    And dont be fooled thinking just because its in the water, its not hard. The first time you have a session in the pool, drink LOTS of water afterwards. You will find out later that not how sore you are.

I was just int the therapeutic pool today as an independent. 95+ temperature, depths 3 foot to 4.5 feet

Its Good GOod GOOd GOOD and better than that!
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 171
    A few off the subject questions if you don't mind. If you do I understand.
    1. With all of the successful therapy over the years, do you still use pain medications or has exercise/therapy been enough so
    you don't need or require them any longer?
    2. Can you drive any length of time without discomfort?
    3. Do you work a part time or full time job? And if you do, does pain of any kind get in the way of doing your job with ease?
    Thanks for any or all of the questions above.
    LeeLee
  • advertisement
    Sure,
    LeeLeeMccDee said:

1. With all of the successful therapy over the years, do you still use pain medications or has exercise/therapy been enough so
    I still use narcotic pain medication (Oxycodone 5mg and currently a Butrans Patch 5mcg) and Neurontin for Nerve pain and Baclofen for muscle related activity. But I have many different things going on with me. Aqua therapy has done a lot to minimize some of the problems, helps tone my muscles. You have to think that while I have been in Aqua Therapy, I also had both of my shoulders and hips totally replaced. So, its one problem after another with me.
    LeeLeeMccDee said:

45 minutes is about my maximum before I really start to hurt. Any time we take drives that take more time, I make sure we stop, so that I can get out, stretch and walk a bit before getting back into the car. But this sitting also applies to sitting anywhere ( dinner room table, sofa, in the movies, etc) In the past 5 years I have probably been to 3 or 4 movies. It gets too difficult and the discomfort at a public place is not as easy to handle as when you are home.
    LeeLeeMccDee said:

3. Do you work a part time or full time job? And if you do, does pain of any kind get in the way of doing your job with ease?
    I did work full time. Started with IBM in 1974, had my first lumbar surgery in 1978, followed by 3 more lumbar and 3 cervical ACDF. Commuting at least 1 hour each way daily plus working on computers for up to 10 hours a day started to take its toll. In 2000, I started working from home 1 day a week, that become 2, then 3, and finally full time at home.
    Still, working on a computer (PC workstation) takes it toll big time, no matter where your workstation environment is.
    Then in 2009, I was eligible to retire, they were looking for some 'older' people to leave, so I did. Now I work part time,
    12-18 hours a week as a wine/beer/spirit consultant/mgr at a local package store.

Has Pain got into the way of doing my job over the years? Yes, many time, but I found ways to just plow through them.

If you have any other questions I would be glad to answer them.
  • LeeLeeMccDee said:
    A few off the subject questions if you don't mind. If you do I understand.
    you don't need or require them any longer?
    Although my regular exercise of walking is beneficial, I still rely on my nerve medication (Gabapentin) and pain killers (prescription strength Paracetemol and Codein) to manage my day to day activities. I do feel personally that if time / money were of no concern, I would benefit from further hydrotherapy sessions on a routine basis
    LeeLeeMccDee said:
    I routinely drive to work, as I find driving better than travelling travelling by train. I can comfortably manage an hour, but any more without a time to stretch is more difficult, although my travelling during that hour is in stop/start traffic so is probably more stressful.
    LeeLeeMccDee said:
    Thanks for any or all of the questions above.
    LeeLee
    I have been undergoing a phased return to work since the middle of last year, however progress had been slow. I am currently able to manage 4 days part time per week, each day of around 6 hours, backed with some emails from home in the afternoon / evening. However, my situation had been complicated by a stroke just prior to my surgery at the beginning of last year, and I am certain the effects of this on my brain are now what is restricting my ability to perform more so than my spine matters.
  • Ron you are truly a bionic man! Is it all titanium or something else? I bet flying is a real drag or?
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
    All titanium.
    I have problems in the Paris airport (4 years ago), so my hips did not have titanium, only neck and shoulder.
    Then about 6 months ago, I had a problem in NYC going to the Top of the Rock.
    But, not too much of a problem. I told them I could disrobe here so they can see the scars..... They said... Move on
advertisement