Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Forced back to work very bad situation

Comments

• Hi everyone, I went back to my Dr and let him know how much pain I m in and the work I m being required to do , He took me back out of work which is what I needed , but I was terminated from my job the next day . Now I don t have any health insurance and really scared about the future . If anyone else has been through this or has any advice I would appreciate it. I m trying to find out if I m still eligible for long term disability . Thank you all for your help . I ve been reading all of your posts again and am so grateful for all the info .

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,454
    edited 02/26/2014 - 3:50 AM
    when you consider that you have a somewhat physical type of job. Getting back to the job is something that generally needs to be done in stages, allowing time to have your body become accustomed again to this work and for you to do the correct exercises to strengthen yourself.

The worst part of what you are saying is that it does seem like your company is getting themselves into a position to let you go. Sarah's comments are very true. When a company wants to get rid of someone, they can, they can find so many ways within the legal actions. Its almost impossible to fight those situations. So, while they are doing all of this, kill them with kindness. Make yourself known about everything you do. Its like you have to 'sell' yourself again. The more visibility of positive actions by you , should make it more difficult for your company to try to use "He isn't doing the job

You also don't seem to be getting any help from the doctors side. But that doesn't always surprise me. When a surgeon completes their action, they watch you for a while, and then after a period of time, they move on. Thats the general nature of their profession. But having a doctor that stays with you and monitors you is what is really important. For me, its my physiatrist. She manages my total condition, medications, diagnostic tests, etc. I've been with her for almost 7 years now, thats the type of doctor you would want

Rambi, I wish you the best of luck, I've see things like your situation happen all too often.

Remember these words:
    jellyhall said:

Remember at the end of the day, your health matters more than your job.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 02/26/2014 - 4:10 AM
    Rambi - I am so sorry to hear that they terminated you. You were right to have your concerns, given the way they were treating you. It still does not make it any easier that it was anticipated.

There are some other folks on this forum who've had the exact same thing happen to them. I always feel such empathy as it is a very scary position to be in.

But like Ron said, for such a physical job as you had, it was really not realistic to expect you back so early. My job is a 100% desk job, and I was out for 2 months and have only returned to work last week. For anyone who has an active lifting/bending/twisting job, I think you really need the better part of a year to make sure you're fused and physically able to undertake your duties again.

If you don't mind my asking, what was your job? What skills do you have? Maybe once you are recovered, you can apply for a similar job, but more of an admin-type role? Obviously, you don't want to start any new job right now - you need to heal. That is your full time job right now. But when you are financially forced to return to some type of position, I really hope you can find a less physical role.

HUGS
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
    edited 02/26/2014 - 4:48 AM
    Rambi,

You can still purchase your own healthcare through the government system. I think you have until the end of March and if you don't do it by the deadline, you will be locked out until next year. I would HIGHLY suggest going on the federal site (or the state site if your state has its own marketplace) and educating yourself about the plans that you would need and see if it's something you can afford.

For example, I am in Minnesota, and we have our own marketplace called MNSure. Here are the deadlines here:

"- Coverage beginning 4/1: Select a plan and pay the premium in full by 3/15.
    - Coverage beginning 5/1: Select a plan and pay the premium in full by 3/31.
    - Avoid the penalty for not having health insurance: Select a plan and pay the premium in full by 3/31.

Open enrollment for individuals and families runs through 3/31/14."
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,454
    I posted too soon.
    Look into what Sarah is talking about. You do have an opportunity (in any state) to sign up for some health insurance now.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Rambi, are you married and can apply for insurance through your spouse? Otherwise, purchasing a plan for just to cover catastrophic events might be your best bet. Continue healing, but purchase insurance just in case, God forbid, you need to have surgery or anything lifesaving. My appendectomy was CRAZY expensive.
  • Hi Sarah, I m on my own . I ve been looking online to try and figure out insurance options and just read about the catastrophic insurance . So I ll be checking into that . Are you or is anyone here now on an Obamacare plan after losing job ? I know nothing about it yet . Thanks for the info . I m sorry you had to have an appendectomy ! And the expense . We go through too much already .
    edited 02/26/2014 - 11:10 AM
    At least while you're recovering, I would definitely consider some type of insurance. There are a ton of variables that can affect the total cost of the plans. High deductible, low deductible, your age, location, blah blah...

If you can find an advocate to help you navigate the mess, that would be advisable. Especially given your medical state and needing to make sure you are taken care of. The government site can be difficult. But I know there are non-profit organizations that specialize in healthcare for people who are unemployed or uninsured.

Perhaps you can start by calling 211 (the United Way) to see if they can put you in touch with an organization that is familiar with obamacare and can help you navigate this and find an affordable plan that you can live with for now.Time is of the essence for you right now, so any help you can get would be worth it.
  • Rambi, in my opinion, I think it would be a good idea if you applied for public assistance. That's why it is there, to help people when the need arises, and it usually will include insurance. I would definitely check into that, it won't hurt to apply and it could be just what you need to get yourself healed up. Please, please at least apply. The worst thing that can happen is they say no. So there's no loss for trying. Even if you don't qualify for everything, you could qualify for something. Good luck.
  • Thank you so much everyone for your help and advice ! This is the ONLY place I have gotten any true help before, during, and after my surgery . I am checking into the insurance now . Thank you Sarah for letting me know about the deadline to apply . I didn't know about that . I am still waiting to find out if I ll be approved for LT and don't know how I m going to make it financially even with it . I want you all to know how grateful I am for this site and everyone here ! It s the one place I can find people that really understand what I m going through because they ve been there too.
advertisement