Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Anyone else ever have severe hip joint pain from a back problem?

One of my biggest problems related to my back problems is severe hip joint pain. My hips have had xrays and they say they're fine. The pain is really REALLY deep into the joint. The worse my back acts up the worse my hip is. In many ways the hip is worse than the back. Does anyone by chance know which nerve, which vertebrae or if there is one main nerve that effects each hip? I'm soooooo tired of being in pain.

Anne
ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
advertisement

Comments

• SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 02/22/2014 - 9:38 AM
    Yes. In fact the hip pain was so bad I was initially misdiagnosed with sacroiliac joint dysfunction. I was given a steroid injection but it didn't help. After a couple years I realized my hip pain was actually originating in my back and my muscles in an around my back were flaring up. Eventually the pain area grew to encompass my hip muscles and was intolerable. Now I know it was disc related in origin as my fusion has cured it (so far). So the answer, at least to me, is that yes, back pain can cause pain in nearby and related muscle groups. I take a flexeril and try to lay down when this happens. A warm bath helps too.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • I also found a physical therapist who showed me how to do some hip and hip flexor stretches and exercises that have helped a ton
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • advertisement
  • I could have written your post! And unlike Sarah, my hip problem hasn't gotten any better since my fusion the end of December. I had hip bursitis in my right hip about 4 - 5 years ago but it was always resolved with cortisone shots. My left hip has been acting up for some time, and like I said, the fusion didn't help things. I honestly think I would be feeling better right now if I didn't have this hip issue.

Mine feels like it's deep in the "crease" of my leg.....where your leg connects to your torso and then goes into the hip joint. I thought it hip bursitis since the area right over my hip bone feels bruised and very tender. But I don't have problems sleeping on it like I had on the right side. I always favor my left leg and walk with an uneven gait. I've wondered if one leg is longer than the other?

Oh well, that's my sad story for the day. Hope you get some answers!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • Annie-mAAnnie-m Posts: 108
    edited 02/20/2014 - 4:07 PM
    I had my last surgery also in December. I was good and didn't have pain until I was released from the back brace and all restrictions. It's basically if I have a normal life I'm in pain. I don't do much that should cause pain either. I sit and quilt do some shopping, watch TV and so on. I do have pain when I sleep on my left hip! It hurts when I walk or cross my legs too but the worst is just sitting and at night. I know that there HAS to be something somewhere that's irritating a nerve but it's not showing up on the CT.

I am going back to see my NS on Monday. I was a little disappointed when I called an spoke to the MA when my call was returned. I was told that fusions take time (I know that), let pain be my gauge (I know that too) and try to take things easier. I told them that unless I sit or lay down it causes pain. Then they said I could come in to a follow up if I wanted to. Well yeah I do want to go back in LOL

I'm just so frustrated :(

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434
    we develop osteoarthritis. That slowly starts to impact our joints. I didnt show any real signs of osteoarthritis until 5 years after my last spinal surgery.

Since then, I have countless number of steroid injections in my shoulders and hips in attempt to resolve the pain.
    Those were only bandaids. Today, I now have 2 complete shoulder replacements and 2 complete hip replacements as a result of osteoarthritis.

So, I am not sure how directly back problems relate to hip pain, but there is a sure relationship with the two.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Ron, wow and my friends call me bionic! You've got me beat for sure. Medicine sure has come a long way, thank god!

Anne
  • TessaTTessa Posts: 2
    edited 02/23/2014 - 11:32 AM
    Thanks everyone for sharing your views. I had surgery two years ago at which time my surgeon put in two Titanium rods in my spine to bring me upright, which it did. Unfortunately 20 months later one of the rods broke. I am now scheduled for corrective surgery in three weeks at which time he will replace both rods. As you can imagine the pain throughout this time has been severe. Now also I am having pain in my left hip area and have been told will need replacement surgery there. It is actually worse mow than back pain as it goes down leg and into ankle. Anyone hear of this happening to others? Thanks
  • Thank goodness the xrays saw that my hips are ok. A lady that I used to workout with had really bad back trouble too but it turned out that was all stemming from her hip and not her back. She had a hip replacement too and hasn't had anymore back trouble.
  • Saw my doctor today and he was so concerned regarding pain and loss of mobility regarding hip that he sent me for x-rays right away. He called me back same night telling me there was no fracture ( which was his main concern) but test showed severe arthritic changes from before. Not sure if this all stems from back surgery when they placed two titanium rods in my back. After only 20 months one rod snapped in two.The pain right down leg into ankle is, at times, unbearable. Due for corrective surgery in three weeks so hoping this will resolve pain a bit. All this is due to long term steroid use which I have had to take. Now have hip replacement in my future also. Interested in hearing how others cope with pain as this is disheartening. Thanks.
  • hisbeauty4asheshhisbeauty4ashes Posts: 211
    edited 11/15/2014 - 2:59 AM
    yes well i am sorry you all are going through a tough time of it too. i am getting an mri of the hip and will see an ortho the 24th. on a different note i am being sent to a nero surgeon for the other issues at edited i will also have a tspine mri with contrast. we will go from there to see if i need more cervical and or tspine surgery. it has been crazy lately with all the doctors appointments and pain. have a great weekend.

please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
    you agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on spine-health.com.

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules
advertisement