Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What to expect: L4 - L5 Fusion

Comments

• Our bed sits rather high, so I have a small step stool by the bed. I sit on the side of the bed and sort of lift myself back on the bed (I think my arms have gotten stronger thruout this whole ordeal). Then I just sort of fall over with my head on the pillows with legs up and in a bent position. Getting situated is pretty difficult, but if she can find some satin sheets online (even if it's only the bottom fitted sheet), or some satin PJ's or lounge pants, that would make it easier.

As for you being away for awhile, is there someone who can check on her daily just to make sure she's okay and see if she needs anything? I had my surgery on a Monday and came home on Wednesday. So my husband stayed home with me on Thursday, Friday, and the weekend. Then I was on my own during the day from then on. But he only works a couple of miles away, so he was available if I needed anything. If you set up everything at counter height for her, that would help immensely. That includes in the refrigerator, bowls and cups on the kitchen counter, things she needs in the bathroom (toothbrush and toothpaste, face cleanser, etc), clothes and undergarments on a dresser or at least waist high. Also, and this may be too much information, but I bought some leisure bras online from Wal-Mart that have hooks and eyes up the front. This is so much easier and much more comfortable than a regular bra. I think they were like $8 each. Get a basket or some type of container for her to keep the things she needs the most for her to carry from the living room to the bedroom and back). This would include chapstick, medications, reading glasses, TV remote, a pen and paper or a journal to keep track of when she takes her medications (invaluable!), etc. Oh, and as for the corset, she only needs to wear it during waking hours.

Okay, I've gone on long enough. If you have anymore questions, just ask. One day at a time!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • For others reading, Please continue to answer my previous questions. However, I want to address Malusak54's "I had the same surgery. And have chronic pain for 13 years now!"

1. Was there anything else going on with your condition:
    2. Is the pain worse than before the surgery 13 years ago?
    3. Has the neurosurgeon who fused your spine taken the attitude of, "Gosh, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. You knew going into this what the odds were. Can't always expect all pain will go away. We have some great pain management options...Lets do that." Or, have they looked in detail as to why you are still experiencing so much pain?

You don't have to answer these questions. My wife asks me throughout the day if anyone else has responded to my post on the forum. As mentioned before, I need to be very careful how much I share with my wife.
  • advertisement
  • Malusak54MMalusak54 Posts: 9
    edited 03/02/2014 - 5:09 AM
    I wish I still have the pain that I had 13 years a go . After opening my eyes I felt I am in hell till now . I had all the strong med ,epidural , spinal cord stimulator , Morphine pamp but nothing work .i saw 100 or more doctors . Now I have a cyst that it is near where I Had the fusion . The cyst gets full of fluid that put more pressure on my nerve and I Have unbearable pain ,, all the doctor said to me their is no more surgery to fix me ! I just have to take med for the rest of my life . If anyone see this post try to avoid the fusion as much as you can !!! If I Did not have the fusion they could help me but not when you are fused .
    I have a chronic lower back ,MY Leg pain numbness in legs and toes ,I can not standup more the 10 m and walk more than 15 m . I still have hope that someone can help us !!!

• RubyTuesday you have been so informative. You could never talk "long enough." Please keep it coming. I may not be able to acknowledge everyone's comments, but I sure read them and will ask questions as they come up. My wife and I are very new to this.
    RubyTuesday said:

Okay, I've gone on long enough. If you have anymore questions, just ask. One day at a time!
  • RubyTuesday not too much information at all. I've been happily married for 28 years and am comfortable "with anything female."

We've opted for sports bra at this point...just pull over and done. It also helps "pull things in" so she can see and ajdust the corset brace better. I'll mention to her your suggestion.
    RubyTuesday said:
    Also, and this may be too much information, but I bought some leisure bras online from Wal-Mart that have hooks and eyes up the front. This is so much easier and much more comfortable than a regular bra. I think they were like $8 each.
  • advertisement
  • Wait do all the rest of the opinion then do the surgery last . I wash I did not have the 4 surgeries that I have now . My doctor thought the only option that I had was surgery !! I can tell you fusion in most cases make you worse not better .it happen to me and all the people that I met in doctors offices ..I am in a chronic pain since 2001 .Because of this I develop more problem for taking all these pain med !!
  • Malusak54 said:
    I wish I still have the pain that I had 13 years a go . After opening my eyes I felt I am in hell till now . I had all the strong med ,epidural , spinal cord stimulator , Morphine pamp but nothing work .i saw 100 or more doctors . Now I have a cyst that it is near where I Had the fusion . The cyst gets full of fluid that put more pressure on my nerve and I Have unbearable pain ,, all the doctor said to me their is no more surgery to fix me ! I just have to take med for the rest of my life . If anyone see this post try to avoid the fusion as much as you can !!! If I Did not have the fusion they could help me but not when you are fused .
    I have a chronic lower back ,MY Leg pain numbness in legs and toes ,I can not standup more the 10 m and walk more than 15 m . I still have hope that someone can help us !!!
  • Malusak54MMalusak54 Posts: 9
    edited 03/02/2014 - 5:52 AM
    Like to know if any one had nerve block and like to know if it works for a short time or longer time ?
    This is my next option !!
  • You might want to start your own post in the Back and Neck Surgery section to ask about nerve blocks. I'm sure you'd get more responses that way. People who are reading this thread aren't really looking for information on nerve blocks. I'm sorry you've suffered so much since your surgery and hope you can find some relief.

Romeroom, I'm happy to help. I hope your wife's recovery goes well.
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • Thanks a bunch. I will continue to post updates as the days go by.
    RubyTuesday said:
    ......Romeroom, I'm happy to help. I hope your wife's recovery goes well.
advertisement