Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

The value of being honest w/PM

Comments

• Wow 8mg of morphine plus 1 mg of lorazepam for a ten year old and didn't even phase him??!! I would like to hear more about that.
    alif l4-s1
  • Granted, he weighs about 125, but most adults who way much more than that would be knocked out, especially if they never had it before. The ER doc basically told my husband it was all in his head, he's not allowing the meds to work. I don't buy it for a second! It's not like he's an addict trying to get a fix! He's a little boy! The whole genetic metabolizing thing would make a lot of sense, & possibly save him a lot of pain & suffering later on. Morphine does nothing for me, never has. The last time I had a kidney stone they gave me 24 mg & the pain was still out of control. I'm pretty much screwed when I go to ER, because morphine does nothing & I'm allergic to dyladud. The only thing that really works for me is demoral, which is supposedly no where near as strong as morphine. However, most hospitals are phasing it out & it's really hard to get. No ER's have it, & it's a huge fight to get even if I'm admitted. If I get this test done & it shows I don't metabolize morphine correctly, at least than maybe ER docs won't treat me like a junkie.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • advertisement
  • This entire recovery process has been terrible due to these restrictions. As I said, after surgery I was given a 5 day supply of norco. I'm not supposed to take anything else with the exception of Tylenol which does not work for me. I suffered through weeks 2-4 and started feeling better. Then at my 1 month post op, I was instructed to wean off the collar at least 5 or 6 hours a day. This made all of my muscles contract and tighten and it is as painful as right after surgery. The day after my post op, I called my neurosurgeons office and told them I was experiencing pain and asked for another 5 day supply to get me through this transitional week. I was told no, that I'd have to call my primary. I called my primary and they said since I'm only a month post op, I'm under their care and it's their responsibility to provide the meds. Ugh! Not to mention at my follow up, my surgeon, who was there, didn't even bother coming in to see me. He sent his young PA whom I've never met to examine me. Now this women whom I've never met before decides whether I have to suffer or not?? Plus, she didn't order therapy, which after talking to others, I now believe may have been a mistake. So here I am, 2 months post op, still wear my collar and can't turn my neck in any direction without pain. I'm actually doing worse than I was one week post op.
  • it is easy to blame the doctors hospitals, pharmacies, the government, but the real fault like shakespeare say the real fault lies with ourselves. that meaning that all of the abusers and drug seekers are at fault. because of this, doctors are under scrutiny from the government and then because of this they have to come down hard on us with tests and a reluctance to prescribe narcotics and also the media showing all of these shows stating the dangers of oxycontin including the statement that if one keeps taking these meds, you will die. you always hear if he did not go into rehab he would have died or ended up in prison. so next time someone complains that their doctor will not give them narcotics after the patient complains that such and such a drug does not work or i am allergic to it and i can only have oxycontin because nothing else works. it seems that people lately are quick to blame their doctors about not treating severe pain, just remember who makes the doctors hesitant to give out narcotics, it is the patients. doctors, pharmacies, hospitals are really fed up with the scrutiny. i hear my doctor and my pharmacist complain all of the time. they want to help and give out meds that work. they really do. these drugs are there for a reason, to treat chronic pain and they can;t do their jobs effectively with the government looking at them all the time. will it get better? i do not know, only if people quit trying to get narcotics when they don't need them. remember it has been said a million times by the moderators, narcotics are not the be all or end all with chronic pain. there are all other ways to treat it besides narcotics.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • i am not sure what kind of surgery you had, or how extensive it is, but part of any surgical consult is usually who will manage your post op acute pain. were you seeing a pain management doctor prior to your surgery? or was your primary prescribing medications for you for pain? who referred you to the surgeon?
    depending on the type and extensiveness of the surgery, most surgeons will only prescribe pain medications for a short time frame- some a month or less , such as yours, and others for three months at the most, before referring you back to pain management or your primary doctor.
    as far as you still being in pain, why on earth are you still wearing the collar two months post op, if you were told to start going without it previously? all that serves to do is to continue to weaken the muscles involved and will only increase the pain and stiffness the longer you continue to wear it.....all of this is the reason that it is so important to talk to your surgeon and find out what the plan is before surgery.
    the surgeon who has done this surgery on many occassions before knows what he is doing, so it is important that you do what he tells you regarding the stopping of the use of the neck brace. it is going to hurt, and especially now, because you have substantially weakened the muscles in your neck by relying on the brace for far longer than necessary.....
    as for pain medications, trying the tylenol may very well have helped to ease some of the pain you were having, and then you could have spoken to the surgeon about the use of a muscle relaxer if you needed it.
    i would strongly encourage you to ask for a referral to physical therapy and work hard at getting rid of the brace, before you make things much worse than they are currently.....there are several recent threads here that discuss what the patient needs to do prior to surgery, and what the surgeon does when it comes to treating pain after the acute post op period....
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-medications/dos-and-donts-pain-management
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-management/common-pain-management-procedures
    https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-coping-techniques-pain-management

• advertisement
  • From what I've read these tests can expand to other drug categories. I'm personally concerned about the way my body is responding to nerve pain meds. First the Lyrica, now the increase in Neurontin doesn't seem to be going well. Maybe I have a bug, but after taking the Neurontin I seem to feel worse. I have an appointment with a PM Dr tomorrow. Honesty and my eagerness to try whatever is recommended is the way to go. Unfortunately I'm now becoming leery of trying new medications. :(
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 04/14/2014 - 3:33 AM
    aaron
    no i don't for the most part. as you know there are people on this site who all they do is bash doctors and take no responsibility for their health care or actions. for the most part i trust doctors probably if you want a figure, 95% of the time and when people have numerous tests and go to numerous doctors who say the same thing, then in my mind it is probably their issue and not the doctors. it is easy to say it is his fault he does not understand me. as you know and as i have posted numerous times i have issues with the doctor bashing that goes on for one reason, we only hear one side of what is going on, we never hear the doctors side and until that happens then i find a lot of some issues problematic at best. how can one say this and this happened when the doctor is not aviable to defend himself and give his side.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
    edited 04/14/2014 - 3:54 AM
    aaron that is why a competent doctor which i feel most are will do as many diagnostic tests as possible to narrow down their diagnosis. this is just my opinion but if they don't maybe they feel it is a waste of time since they don't believe the patient. but most will do as many test as possible for it is their professional responsibility which the majority of doctors take seriously, the hypocratic oath comes to mind.
    jon
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 04/14/2014 - 4:12 AM
    I tend to agree with you, that there is responsibility on both side of the equation when it comes to pain management.
    I have said before that the environment that existed in the 1990's regarding what amounted to doctors and dentists who handed out prescriptions for anyone who hinted that they might be in pain led us to where we are currently.....sprains, strains, muscle pulls, headaches , or a toothache were all enough basis for doctors to write a refillable prescription for vicoden or percocet, and hand them out as if they were candy. Things that could have been treated with anti inflammatory meds or ice, or heat, were given a prescription for a pain med, if the patient so much as winced. There was no need for imaging or medical reports to back up a claim of a condition to get opiates. If a patient wanted refills past the 6 month mark, they could simply call their pharmacist and have them request a refill and in most cases, they were given it.
    Jon has a point also in that there are some patients who refuse to undergo the testing , or produce the records showing what treatments they have undergone but demand and expect that they will be given opiates without the documentation to back the condition they claim......
    The days of giving a patient , especially one who is new to a doctor, or who's condition is unclear being given medications in the meantime are gone.......too many doctors have been sued , for treating the wrong condition, or giving medications to people who have a history of abuse/misuse , and between the liability issues , the oversight of the government, and the current public sentiment toward opiates have brought us where we are now......hopefully, we will see a swing back toward the middle ground soon.
    There are doctors who are willing to treat pain, just not always the way that the PATIENT believes that it should be treated, or at the levels of medications that the PATIENT believes they need and the problem , at least from what I see at times is that there is a general unwillingness to consider other options to treat pain, aside from opiates......we see it all of the time, physical therapy doesn't work, injections don't work, excercise doesn't work, visualization, therapy, biofeedback, TENS, spinal
    cord stimulation, etc.....Part of the issue is that there are some patients who simply want a quick fix, in whatever form that may be, and don't want to do the hard work to find a balance....
    edited 04/14/2014 - 4:16 AM
    of course aaron, it is not exact and no ones says it is but there are so many tests now to determine the cause and type of back pain that the probablillity of narrowing it down is close to 100%. remember doctors have been dealing with back pain for years and years it is the number one cause of pain and disability so it is in the forefront of treatment. like has been said hundreds of times here, it you don't like it, go to another doctor. i do not know what problem with this is and if it is money then if i were in that position, money be darned, i would see more doctors until i was satisfied. how many people who are on disability or try to get on disagree with their doctors? i am not sure if disability lets people see other doctors. are you locked into one doctor? but what is the cut off point of how many doctors. in my opinion, if i saw three doctors and they all said there was nothing then i would take their word for it. how many is too many and if you go to tons of doctors then the doctors will feel there is doctor shopping going on. that is the dilema. how many is too many? trust me the worse reputation one can get is being a difficult patient. that is the kiss of death because the word will get out due to the networking of doctors. they all know what is going on and what patients to look out for. your reputation follows you with doctors. i know because i used to date a nurse who worked in hospitals. you should hear the stories she told about patients who go from doctor to doctor and er to er. one will never be treated if you get this reputation.
    jon
advertisement