Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

TO SLEEP OR NOT TO SLEEP-AY-THAT IS THE QUESTION

HI Y'ALL, For the three weeks or so I have been sleeping my days away. Just some background on me: I am on Contin 20mg twice daily, Oxycodone 10 mg every 4 hours and valium 5mg twice daily pen for spasm. This has been my regimen since my surgery was done back on November 2013...no changes at all. I am doing water PT twice weekly started last week. It is not strenuous or long is duration, maybe 25 minutes in the tub altogether. My sleeping disorder started prior to PT. Anyway, what I'm trying to get to is: Can a person get too much sleep? Do I give in to my body's ceaseless craving just to go to bed and sleep? This has been my scenario: Wake up and take meds, fall asleep till hubby brings me a cup of coffee 40 minutes later.
Eat breakfast with hubby and discuss days events, current news, etc for ~1 hour. Hubby goes off to the gym and I get up, brush teeth, dress up, go downstairs to straighten things up (nothing I'm not suppose to do). Go back upstairs and start a project like painting, sewing, reading or watch TMC movies (I'm addicted to them). No sooner do I hit the recliner or the bed (depends on my comfort level) I'm out cold, in and out of that sort of dream-like state of sleep that last all day. Mind you I'll get up to use bathroom, let dog out and try not to dwell on the fact that I can't wait to go back to bed. Very unhealthy? or very necessary?
I don't know why the sudden case of sleepiness but I can't help it. I'm falling asleep as I'm writing this topic but then jolt awake.
I am only suppose to do water PT and walk, no stretching, lifting,etc til further notice. Walking outside has been horrendous due to recent snow/ice storms so I take every opportunity to join hubby for any errands needed for house like grocery shopping, home depot etc. While he's doing the shopping I'll walk around the store till he text's me "time to go". Then back home and back to bed, seriously trying to do any of the above mentioned activities before the sleep fairy reappears.
So does this sound familiar to any of you out there? I am feeling so quilty not doing anything "constructive" but that's an all together subject for me that I wouldn't dare bore you with.
Input? Advice? Anything?
It's been a chore reading this I'm sure and for that I am eternally grateful.
LeeLee (|: :yawn:
advertisement

Comments

• trust me its been two years since my last surgery it was a ALIF fusion I have also had 2 previous surgeries and I am also on a cocktail of oxycontin.oxynorm and diazepam and temazepam .I go to my electric adjustable bed with its top end memory foam dormeo octaspring mattress [super comfy] but after 2/3 hours I am awake in pain and then have to come down to my rise and recline recliner .I start the night in bed and for the last TEN years I have always ended my night on my recliner .its now a way of life for me I wish that I could have a full 8 hours in my lovely bed instead of being disturbed every night .its just another problems accosted with intractable spinal pain .no sex life no social life and now sleep life ! ..17 years of pain and not getting any better ..I hope that you get a s well as you can ..don't worry about sleeping too much ,,you must need it !
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hi. I had a two level TLIF just over two weeks ago. I am taking less OxyContin etc than you but am also very tired. I sleep an hour an hour and a half after lunch and do not resist the urge ... I cannot resist it! Some days I sleep an extra sleep during the day. The meds will make you tired, the sleepiness effect will build up over the course of the day. I am usually crashed out with tiredness by about nine in the evening and as sleep is still a bit interrupted at night I am always tired. Your body needs sleep to heal but it sounds like it is the meds that are making you this tired. Everybody heals at a different rate ... Do you require this much painkiller? Perhaps you could get advice about reviewing it? Good luck
  • advertisement
  • If you have been taking the same meds since surgery and you have only been this sleepy for the last three weeks - it is a bit of a dilemma. If sleepiness is a result of medication it should have started straight after your operation as you would have been opiate naive then, the meds should have made you much more sleepy then, not after four months.

Maybe you have been overdoing it because of the meds - oxycodone is normally used as a 12 hour slow release pain killer so don't know why they have given it to you every four hours. Normally they will prescribe something like Endone which is a short acting medication for breakthrough pain.

Just a thought but it could be a build up of oxycodone in your system as no-one usually is prescribed it four hourly, especially on top of oxycontin.

If it has only just happened though it could be something else entirely, as you should be opiate tolerant by now. Sleeping is the time when your body heals so maybe it's going through a rough patch at the moment and making you sleep more. I looked at your history and you have lumbar spine problems - looked, as if some levels are out of alignment can make you go to sleep. You'll have to research the levels that put you to sleep.

Just had a bit of a search and found an article on SH called 11 Unconventional Sleep Tips: How to Get to Sleep and Stay Asleep. One of the tips is make your room cooler. So if it's been snowing outside maybe it's just the room temperature making you sleep more.

Normally as Tony says enjoy that you can sleep. Most times it's your body saying 'I need time to heal.' Just some thoughts, I have no idea really!!
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 171
    thoracic spine pain said:
    If you have been taking the same meds since surgery and you have only been this sleepy for the last three weeks - it is a bit of a dilemma. If sleepiness is a result of medication it should have started straight after your operation as you would have been opiate naive then, the meds should have made you much more sleepy then, not after four months.

Maybe you have been overdoing it because of the meds - oxycodone is normally used as a 12 hour slow release pain killer so don't know why they have given it to you every four hours. Normally they will prescribe something like Endone which is a short acting medication for breakthrough pain.

Just a thought but it could be a build up of oxycodone in your system as no-one usually is prescribed it four hourly, especially on top of oxycontin.

If it has only just happened though it could be something else entirely, as you should be opiate tolerant by now. Sleeping is the time when your body heals so maybe it's going through a rough patch at the moment and making you sleep more. I looked at your history and you have lumbar spine problems - looked, as if some levels are out of alignment can make you go to sleep. You'll have to research the levels that put you to sleep.

Just had a bit of a search and found an article on SH called 11 Unconventional Sleep Tips: How to Get to Sleep and Stay Asleep. One of the tips is make your room cooler. So if it's been snowing outside maybe it's just the room temperature making you sleep more.

Normally as Tony says enjoy that you can sleep. Most times it's your body saying 'I need time to heal.' Just some thoughts, I have no idea really!!
    Thank you all for the helping me accept that my recent sleepiness is not unusual. It's funny, I had written out a response to this thread last evening and in the at the very end of it, I just nodded off for an hour or two and woke up with laptop in same position on my lap and hands on keyboard exactly as they were. In my grogginess I accidentally hit the delete button instead of the "enter" button and lost everything.
    As far as the oxycodone is concerned, there are two types: Oxy IR (immediate release to be taken every 4-6 hrs) and then there is Oxy ER (extended release which is to be taken 12 hrs apart) I am on the IR type so I am not taking too much oxycodone. I have been taking it according to instruction by my NS along w/oxycontin every 12 hours and valium 5mg up to 1 pill twice daily for spasm. This is a very normal combo of narcotics prescribed for an A/PLIF two level fusion.
    In all fairness I wish and have tried to decrease my consumption but it has always led to pain in which I can not function enough to get out of bed in the morning, or normal daily tasks like cooking, going up and down stairs at my will. I also go to water-therapy twice/week which I love and the meds help me do that too.
    For the past two months or so I have been getting gradual worsening of edema-like swelling in my knees, legs, feet and not as much in the shoulder region.
    It is extremely painful in my knees and my legs feel as though I am dragging two heavy logs. I always wake with swelling in my hands and upper shoulder area. I have never had this prior to my fusion and when I checked it out on the forum here, it appears a lot of post A/Plif surgeries are the one thin in common. Same exact symptoms. Maybe there is a connection with my lethargy and this "whole body aching/pain". I have an appt w/NS this Friday and am hoping I can get an answer. I also had a complication due to surgeons error (which he admitted to and is written in my post-op note) which is another subject altogether and feel as though you are alll "raising your eyebrows" by now and thinking "oh god, another one of those" So I will stop here and thank you again for your input. I start offf replying to a thoughtful response from one of you and end up going into a whole different problem. Well, one thing leads to another as they say.
    Take Care All,
    LeeLee
  • Lmr106LLmr106 Posts: 119
    edited 03/15/2014 - 6:28 PM
    I have an issue similar to this but I have been done with surgery for four months. Well actually my first surgery was four months ago on my last surgery was in January. After having a pain pump installed had complications and CSF leak. There were addressed or no surgeries and procedures such as blood patches to assist in fixing the issue. However the issue did not stop and continue once I went back to work in early February. I had to resign from my job and went back to bed rest. It seems to have stopped now and I do get up and do things several times a day, sometimes for hours at a time. But my sleeping is messed up. I take my night men's which includes 10 mg of OxyContin and .25mg Xanax, I attempt to go to sleep. Sometimes I fall asleep early but then I wake up around three or four in the morning and I'm unable to get back to sleep. Sometimes I am up until three or four in the morning until I fall asleep. I do take other medicine including more OxyContin usually 10 mg three more times a day. Regardless of when I go to bed or or actually fall asleep I sleep until two or three in the afternoon. It's hell to get up, or even know sometimes and slept for 16 hours I will just drift off to sleep. Eventually I would like to go back to work and I feel that this is a very bad habit to get into. Has anyone else had anything similar happen to them? Should I just go with it for now because I'm not having to work?
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • advertisement
  • I am beginning to feel like a zombie as well. Not sure if it's all the pain meds (Dilaudid & MS Contin) and MR (Robaxin and occasionally Valium), the fact that I spend most of the day laying down (too much other activity increases my pain), or if I am becoming really depressed. I am having trouble sleeping at night, but I mainly wake up because I'm in pain and have to take my next dose of meds. I do have a hard time knowing if all the rest is good for healing or if I should force myself to be more active?
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 171
    Hi GG, Would you mind giving me some background on your surgeries, what happened to cause your pain, other methods of pain relief and how long you've been in pain? If I'm being too nosey, I apologize and no need to answer. I am just curious as to what lead you to your current situation.
  • Hi, LeeLee. I ruptured L4/L5 in 2007 while pregnant and on an airplane coming home from Costa Rica. Yes, being face down on the airplane floor for hours and then being taken off strapped to a backboard and loaded directly into an ambulance on the tarmack was the most traumatic experience of my life. After that, they could not do anything for me because I was pregnant. After I had my son, I was able to do PT and have injections. My pain was still relentless so I reached the end of my rope and started meeting with surgeons. I had my TLIF done in August of 2008. Recovery was typical (lengthy), but the surgery was a complete success. After I fully healed, I was pain free for 3 years. Then, basically out of no where, lower back pain came on suddenly and I had to go to the ER. That led me back to my NS who ordered a CT myelogram. After reviewing the scan, my NS said my fusion looked "awesome" and that his best guess was that I was having facet pain from above and/or below the fused level. He then sent me to a pain doc for diagnostic facet injections. I had them done and they weren't conclusive. Had RF and it caused me nothing but more pain. This led me down a long path of PT, numerous facet injections, pain meds, accupuncture, etc. Nothing was a "silver bullet", but for some reason (the pain doc even admitted he had no idea why), I eventually ended up being pain free again. I thought that my back pain was behind me for good.

And then came 6 weeks ago, when I was rushing around the house and bent over the wrong way to pick up some laundry and here I am back in horrible pain. My pain doc ordered a MRI and called me today to say that the report shows nothing has changed since my last scan (which was done last summer). He then said that he has no idea why I'm in so much pain. (That is not what i wanted to hear). He wants me to go see my NS and find out his opinion on what might be causing the pain and/or what treatment options he suggests. My appt is on Monday. I have to admit that I'm having a hard time being optimistic that my NS will have any miraculous insight on the cause of my pain.

I've had some advice to seek a second opinion. I think that I will definitely do that because I feel like I'm getting no where with my current docs and that I'm not quite being heard. Or maybe I'm having unrealistic expectations that there is a doctor out there that can offer more? What has your journey been?

Thank you for listening! It helps so much to talk to others who know how all this feels.
advertisement