Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

c4 c5 single level ACDF scheduled for thursday

Comments

• Tired of the painTTired of the pain Posts: 197
    edited 03/19/2014 - 11:39 AM
    It's not just about the range off motion. If he did all three the pain may be less it may not be, but the disk above and below the fusion will have more pressure on it and will eventually degenerate and have to be fused right along with the others. When the doc looked at mine and other doctors since the. Every one said the c4/5 is not bad enough to require surgery.
    The tingling pain you feel. Nurse told me that was healing nerves. Those nerves had not been working because of the compression but now that the pressure has been relieved, those nerves are firing again. This is temporary and should improve,
  • I had my one week follow up yesterday and it went without a hitch. My wound was healing perfect my pain level is down to 1 or nothing, my grip pressure is great and best of all my voice is coming back. I am going back in 6 weeks for another follow up xrays and another evaluation. I am feeling that the operation was a success but i dont want to jinx myself until my 6th week evaluation.
  • advertisement
  • Your doctors are absolutly correct of the adjacent disc needing fusion in the future. Depending if the adjacent discs normal at the time of the first surgery is going to determine how long it will be before the next survery. My NS said it might be 10-15 years and maybe longer depending on the persons activity. I know for me i know what my limits are and will not risk it. I love to play golf atleast twice or 3 times a week. My NS said thats fine and i would most likely not have another surgery in the near future. He said that statistic are for people who do more contact sports and xtreme sporting events like running, mointain biking football, soccer and the training involved in those activities will have an impact on adjacent discs.
  • Bernie N.BBernie N. Posts: 73
    edited 03/21/2014 - 9:23 PM
    Today was a long hard day. I ran out of my percocet and flexeril in the afternoon i cant drive ao i had to wait for my wife to get home and get them from the pharmacy and didnt take it again til 8pm. Man was i in pain ubearablr pain in the shoulder, neck, arms and fingers it felt worse than before my operation. My surgeon did warn me tgis gping to happen but i did not believe because i was doing so well. I hope tomorrow is will be a better day
  • Tired of the painTTired of the pain Posts: 197
    edited 03/22/2014 - 2:14 PM
    That you had to suffer that. There was a lot of abuse done to your body during the surgery. You were strapped down to the table and your esophagus and vocal cords were moved. Your neck is not fused yet. You will need time to heal so having pain is part of healing. That's why the nurse told me to stay ahead of the pain. I make sure that I never run out of meds. Explain to your wife that you need to be on top of that in the future and work together.
  • advertisement
  • Bernie N.BBernie N. Posts: 73
    edited 03/24/2014 - 8:31 AM
    Thank you for the advice and from now on my medicine is fully stocked.
  • Thank you Sandi, im doing my bes in thinking positive and just relaxing at home. Its been really hard because i am the only cook in the house and lately my wife decided to cook something and ended up having to order pizza. I figured cooking would relax my mind atleast the worry of not having to order out.
  • I know its a few hours early for my 2 weeks post op update bit tomorrow is going to be a challenge. I probably wont have time to do an update so here ot goes. Im trying to wein myself off of the medications the past day andnit has been very very very hard. My body goes into shock when I skip a dose of medication if this is what drug dependency feels like count me out.. Its pretty instananeous too every 5 hours I take somea dose of 10-325 percocet and 30 min after I take flexeril for muscle spasms. Im going to try to only take them twice per day now and will give you a report in a few days. Im starting to swallow better now and eating more variety of foods but sometimes my throat os dray and scratchy and most of the time when I swallow my food im having to drink either before or right after I put a spoonfull of food in my mouth. I feel no more pain and tingling and numbing in my arm and the only time i feel a burning feeling in my shoulders is when I sit up too long. The dizziness has subsided and the neck twitches are gone. My neck, shoulders and mid back muscles seem to cramp up and get tight. I may need physical therapy to lossen up the muscle.

Til text time.

Bernie
  • Feeling good walking more but my voice gets hoarse faster than before. Im still weaning from the medication and the pain im feeling is from the back of my neck and the incision. When i move my head from side to side i feel and heack a pop and a crack. Not sure if thats normal i hope im not cracking my fusion?. All in all pain levels are about .5 - 2 at the highest after walks.
  • C 3-4 ACDF scheduled next week. Is a level 3-4 unusual? I never see this level mentioned in posts. Dr. said expect no pain relief, but necesary to stabilize spine. Does this sound reasonable?
    makingmws
advertisement