Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Will quitting smoking reduce my pain?

I've seen a few mentions online of smokers experiencing more back pain, as well as faster disc degeneration. Like most smokers, I have tried to quit many times.

Patches, pills, gum, hypnosis, acupuncture.. I've tried pretty much everything. But I had a thought.. If there's a real chance my pain will be less if I don't smoke.. That may be enough motivation for me to kick the habit for good.

Has anyone quit smoking and found that their pain was less intense?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,299
    but having my wife being a Respiratory Therapist and Pulmonary Nurse for 35+ years, smoking is always a negative thing.
    I haven't been there all the time, but just knowing how my wife works with the COPD patients cigarettes are taboo.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Tobacco is awful for your bones. It destroys your blood vessels starting with the smallest ones first. Those would be in your lower back and teeth. Hence why everyone that smokes has back pain and teeth problems. I had a hard quitting myself. Took me breaking my back to finally say enough. But try steps. Start munchin on carrots and clementines instead of smoking. Or change the amount if nicotine by rolling your own. Fresh tobacco has less nicotine in it than pre rolled store bought smokes. Do whatever works for you and your lifestyle.
  • advertisement
  • mcjimjam said:
    I've seen a few mentions online of smokers experiencing more back pain, as well as faster disc degeneration. Like most smokers, I have tried to quit many times.

Patches, pills, gum, hypnosis, acupuncture.. I've tried pretty much everything. But I had a thought.. If there's a real chance my pain will be less if I don't smoke.. That may be enough motivation for me to kick the habit for good.

Has anyone quit smoking and found that their pain was less intense?
    I am sure that quieting smoking will surely help you in pain. I know a friend of mine who had same problem like you and after quit smoking he felt much relief from pain.
This discussion has been closed.