Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

C4 to T4 FUSION AND BRIDGE C1 TO C4 PLEASE HELP ADVISE NEEDED

sparky81ssparky81 Posts: 20
edited 03/25/2014 - 2:44 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello guys, I am sorry to burden you all with my problems( as I can tell you all are going threw a lot ) But I need some advise. In 3 weeks im having a fusion from C-4 to T-4 with a structural(propup up bridge) betweenC-2 to C-4 (due to scholiosis and full collapse to the rignt to where C-2 is actually touching the right side of C-5 )
. Can anyone advise me here I first saw surgeons at spinal center a year ago for this surgery( I was informed that no surgeon here in Denver or anywhere else had done a surgery like this befor) so I honestly don't know what to expect....I decided against the spinal centers surgery plan as they brought me to the university hospital and got surgeons from 5 hospitals involved including but not limited to neuro's,residents,vascular,general,ortho's,attending, aneo,radio, and many other forms of surgeons and they came up with a fusion with bone replacements bost in the back and front incisions,and placing a titanium cage around c2,c3,c4,c5,c6,c7,t1,and t2 so a 6 inch long cage would have been placed around the spine...I have decided against it and found a GREAT SURGEON who is very confident in his version of the procrdure (that does not include the cage ) but is a c-4 to t-4 fusion with a prop up fusion bridge from c-2 to c-4...Can anyone give advise or what to expect afterwards(as the brain,neuro,and ortho surgeons has told me that they can not PROMISE me ANY PAIN RELEIF AT ALL FROM THIS SURGERY,but they can stabilize me and keep me from being in a wheel chair in the future.I HAVE a BEAUTIFUL wife and a 8 year old boy,a 7 year old daughter, and a 1 year old son,so I have everything to live for...CAN anyone tell what they do to manage the pain after surgery as this is also a large issue(post op pain) I mean I have chronic pain meds now for years a long acting and a PRN but I don't think that would do it for the post-op??

Please if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect before and after surgery ( when I wake up ) I would very much like to hear from you guys.I am running out of time,please respond, Josh

EDITED TO REMOVE PERSONAL TELEPHONE NUMBERS
C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7 T1,T2,T3,T4,T5 ALL FUSED AND C4,C6,T1 REMOVED AND REPLACED WITH CAGES
advertisement

Comments

• I had a two level fusion and could not imagine recovery without pain meds. I was told by the nurse to stay ahead of the pain because being tense and spamming from pain could in fact lengthen the time and success of the fusion.
  • I think what Sparky81 is saying is that the surgeon is not expecting the surgery to take away his pain...only to fix the structural problems? I can't imagine he would not have his pain managed during recovery from such a massive surgery!
  • advertisement
  • sparky81ssparky81 Posts: 20
    edited 03/18/2014 - 8:29 PM
    YES PAIN MEDS NOW AND AFTER...I AM HONESTLY SCARED OF THE SURGERY AND RESEARCH CANT SHOW ME ANYONE WHO HAS HAD SUCH A LARGE SURGERY...I just don't know what to expect when I wake up and how long recovery could be...any advise guys???
    C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7 T1,T2,T3,T4,T5 ALL FUSED AND C4,C6,T1 REMOVED AND REPLACED WITH CAGES
  • That is what calmed me. I had no anxiety at all.even now in my pain I know there is a plan. I don't know what it is, but I don't have to.because I know who is holding me and carrying me through. God Is great, all the time.
  • I found out today that the surgery in about a week will be using roda and screws ,as well as my bone and doner bone.im lost on whaat to expect during surgery,recovery,my 10 day expected hospital stay and afterwards,is there anyone whos had similar surgeries???
  • advertisement
  • Hi Sparky,
    I had a laminectomy and fusion fro C2 to T1. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck.
    Cervical Laminectomy and fusion C2 to T1 June 2012, Anterior Hip Replacement November 2012, Laminectomy, Discectomy Foriminotomy, L3 to L5, February 2014, evacuation of Hematoma April 2014.
    Cervical Myopathy, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, osteoarthritis
  • Sparky, I don't think many have had similar surgery. Yes, certainly there will be rods, screws, and plates -- rods and plates to join one vertebrae to the next, and screws to fasten them to the pars or spinous processes of each vertebrae.

You probably will also be in a halo to immobilize your head movement for a number of weeks.

It sounds as if you have many unanswered questions, and personally, I would not go into surgery with unanswered questions.

Please write down your questions and call your surgeon ASAP to get some answers about exactly what the surgery will do, why, and how pain will be controlled after surgery (and whatever else is an unknown for you.)

Best wishes.
advertisement