I am scheduled for ALIF/PLIF on June 2nd. I have spondylolisthesis and foraminal stenosis of L3/L4. I get by pretty well, but I have significant discomfort off and on most days. I'm a teacher and I cannot comfortably walk to the end of the hall at school without limping or having difficulty using my left leg. I get some cramping, but mostly tingling and numbness and weakness.
I teach kindergarten so I am afraid I will trip over them each day, and struggle not to. It's hard to be still and sit down when I need to at work. I can't lift much, can't shop at more than one place for a quick trip and not by myself, and I sit a lot.:(
I have the summer off, I have double insurance coverage this year only, and I'm trying to decide if my symptoms are bad enough to take the surgery risk or cancel. Getting second opinion in April. I usually hike and fish and camp and go shrimping all summer and am very active. I can't do that, now.The ESI benefit lasted five days, so I'm not sure that would help if I did it again. I am in the middle of 12 weeks of PT. I have had this problem worsening progressively over the past 5+ years. Both of my parents had lumbar fusion, but my dad had cervical fusion, too.
I have DISH arthritis, too, and incidentally, I am PHOBIC OF SURGERY.
ESI 2/28/14, PT, chiro, etc.
L3/4 PLIF and extensive laminectomy 6/4/14