Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

WHY IS NS SENDING ME TO PM AT 4 1/2 MO POST A/PLIF?

advertisement

Comments

• In the original post, you said that you were taking 10 mg of Oxycontin, twice a day- that would mean 20 mg per 24 hour period. Then you said that you were taking 1-2 5 mg tablets of oxycodone every 4 hours, around the clock, which is 6 times per day- so I said that you were taking 10 mg x 6 times per day, equals an additional minimal amount of oxycodone of 30-60 mg more oxycodone per day on top of the 20 mg per day of the long acting.
    Since then you have changed the dosage and increased the time span you gave in your original post.
  • i know i am getting old but this is confusing to me also. changes in the meds reported then changed again. this seems to go on too much on this site as it is. i don't know why the poster has done this maybe the original dose of meds reported was problematic then the dose was changed so that it did not seem like the poster was taking too much. yes people react to meds differently but to exaggerate, one does not need to take 120mg of oxy to help and then take more as breakthrough pain. i am giving a ridiculous example but i think people get my point. the moderators have reported repeatedly that narcotics or meds are only one part of dealing with chronic pain but it seems that some people are obsessed with narcotics and self medicate eventhough there are other ways to deal with pain. these posts are becoming more and more common on this site. all that is seemed to be talked about are narcotics and what i am taking and how much. it is like my old pain doctor where the patients sat around and all they could talk about were their meds and how much they were taking then they would ask you what you were taking. i would tell them that it was none of their business what and how much i was taking. there are more things to discuss with respect to chronic pain than narcotics. but that is all it seems to be discussed in my opinion.we need to discuss other options than narcotics. it actually is boring listening to the same subject, narcotics.
    jon
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • Discussion of narcotics was only a very small part of the original post. The main point was asking why the OP was being referred to PM by her NS. It has only become a bigger part of the thread because people have brought up the narcotics in their replies, you included.
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 171
    mcjimjam you are my hero. it's a wonderful thing for someone to understand what someone is trying to ask/say. All I wanted to know was what it was a PM doc would be able to figure out for me that my NS couldn't. Will they do more imaging to see why I am still having this persistent pain at the fracture site or just see what makes me the most comfortable in the long run. I wrote out my med regimen because I thought it would be helpful in giving people my condition as a whole. Jeez, I never thought I would have to defend myself on what other people misinterpreted, especially Terror8396's reply. I have no idea where that came from my thread. Thanks for your understanding and support. You made me feel a whole lot better.
    LeeLee
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 03/25/2014 - 6:55 PM
    the discussion of narcotics on this thread was a major point of discussion and those including sandi were perplexed by the amount of narcotics used. it seems that most were upset at this and she has had issues with sandi's post. i disagree, narcotics were a major point here an a major bone of contention here and once again the problem was pointed out by a moderator and which i support wholeheartedly..i agree with sandi's post and i was bringing up issues that i have had problems with now and in the past which is the continual discussion of narcotics use and misuse. and these issues of narcotic abuse affect all of us who use narcotic pain meds along with other ways of dealing with chronic pain. that has been brought up numerous times by ron and sandi and myself. and i don't understand what the problem with the continual discussion of narcotics which i find boring. once again chronic pain should also include other issues besides narcotics and other meds.you seem to take my post personally most of the time, why don't you bring up your objections to the moderators who basically have the same viewpoint as i do.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
    Well I happen to disagree with your outlook. I know what I was asking in the first place was the difference between what a PM can do longterm that a NS can not. You keep coming back with this drug thing. People interpret how something is written different ways. If I made an error on how I chose to write out my med list then I apologize but there was no malicious intent and I really am getting offended on how you are dwelling on this when I am fine with it. If you don't have an answer to my question then I don't need a lecture on your interpretations of what you think this thread is about. Uggg. Very frustrating.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 03/25/2014 - 7:13 PM
    By mentioning "narcotic abuse" are you implying that the original poster is abusing her meds? Otherwise, I cannot see how it is relevant to this thread. What grounds do you have for that accusation? Without any evidence I think this qualifies as a personal attack. Many of your posts seem to be character assassinations by implication. I suppose you have been told off for directly saying what you mean, so now you imply it. There's not much difference between bending the rule, and breaking it. The person in your crossfire still feels hurt and attacked. I just wonder why a person would be so antagonistic and hostile in a support forum. Do you only want to receive support, and give back hate in return?
  • First off, my deep condolences for the loss of your mom. That's a hard thing to go through.

You sound like you don't really know how pain management & working with a pain doctor. You are by far not the only one. No one is born knowing the process & what to expect, & what to say or not say, there is definetley a learning curve, despite what some people say.

I suggest you look through the forum at previous threads dealing with this topic before you go in. I had no clue about all this & have learned a ton since joining.

I believe the topics of narcotics is an important one, & will continue to come up. People who are new should ask questions, so they can learn how they are an important they are to dealing with chronic pain, & also how there are other things that can help to.

Anyone who is bored by the topic should just skip over it. There are plenty of other threads not discussing narcotics. Time & energy would be better spent there than writing false accusatory responses.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
    edited 03/29/2014 - 7:40 AM
    I wanted to share my experience for my first PM assessment. I was nervous and hesitant about going to PM but I think that was mostly due to ignorance and lack of education on the matter. I also associated PM with drug seekers and/or abusers. Little did I know about PM on a whole body and psychological aspect. From the beginning, I was set at ease with the clerical staff & medical asst that interviewed me before talking with the Dr. The secretary at my NS's office did not send much of the needed imaging/lab/surgical reports, so I had to go through every little detail about my fracture and so on. He explained all my options at this this time of my recovery and was sure I was a perfect fit for the medication program. I pretty much have PTSS from past spinal injects and ablations. He totally understood my fears but gave me every option I willing to try. He did not think I was taking too much medication EDITED in fact he said I was considered to be on the lower end of pain control medication wise. He has already contacted a "compounding pharmacy" to have a customized topical gel for my knees and back area that when massaged into the effected area for 2 minutes works amazingly better than anything you could buy otc. He also prescribed a tranquilizer/muscle relaxant type of med to be take at bedtime so I won't constantly wake up during the night, which I have been doing since my surgery. He said I could also take it with my valium without hesitation.
    He told me to expect being on medications for as long I needed them whether it be a few months or years. Pain does change in different ways as we age and he will adjust my med regimen as needed. I feel so much better and relieved to have him really hear me and work with me in whichever way works the best for me as an individual. I am relieved and look forward to being cared for by this facility. I thought it be intimidating and they would push me to have procedures done that I did not want to do (been there done that). Make sure to research your PM thoroughly. It could have been a place I envisioned (judgmental, having you do tests you don't want to do, etc). I guess I lucked out and I believe I am going to thrive here. My next appt is with an NP and psych evaluator for medication group enrollment; two hours worth of interviewing. Can't wait to start.
    "We have one type of problem prior to fusion only to have another type of problem after fusion".
    LeeLee

EDITED to remove antagonistic /inappropriate comment
    4.04 The moderators reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author.
  • Sounds like got lucky & found a great clinic! Your by chance in California are you? I could use a clinic like yours...
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
advertisement