Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How much is to much expectation?

Comments

• Thank you Sandi. I wish PM clinics would tell you this! Through trial & error over the years I've realized what your saying is very true but I went through so much pain, frustration, even anger with my doctors at the start. You do great work here & it's truly appreciated! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • You aren't the only one who has been there and done that.........I developed Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy after an anterior should reconstruction that went horribly wrong.......I was on more meds than you could imagine at the time, and they kept adding and adding to them----at one point, I was on no less than 18 different medications, most of them opiates of some sort or another.......300 mcg of fentanyl per day, 240 mg of methadone, breakthrough meds in amounts that would astound people today, 3600 mg of gabapentin, soma 4 times day, valium for spasms and contractures ......and no matter what I did, or the doctors did, the pain continued , and continued to escalate.....so one day, I decided I had had more than enough.....so I stopped all of it......boy , those were a rough few days.....not an experience that I ever care to repeat but each time that I talked to the doctor about wanting off some of this stuff, they gave me great medical reasons why that wasn't an option......so I decided it was and did it myself......
    I learned the hard way that less is more when it comes to managing pain, and that you have to use other modalities, no matter how little they offer in the way of relief, they do help, even just a tiny bit....you have to learn to incorporate some of the pain levels into your life.......you know it's going to be there, so work with it, around it, and through it...
    It will steal your life away if you allow it to, and that is no life.....I refuse to let the pain get in the way of living.
  • advertisement
  • First off glad that the combination of meds is working for you jennelise83.
    Sandi you are so brave to have done that I don't know if I could have dealing
    with what you were and English Girl I agree with too. I have learned so much,
    jennelise83 from an old lady I am currently dealing with that exact issue.
    I have been in pain for 20 years and my meds were increased time and time
    again, to the point I got in exactly that shape they quit helping. Up to about
    2 years ago they allowed me to do the things I wanted to a point even though
    I would hurt like heck after. Then this past two years it has been a nightmare,
    I was so desperate. The PC at first cut my meds in half right off and I was
    angry as heck too much but now since Step of last year I am down to very little.
    Sandi talks about the pain increasing boy did it ever I had no idea what pain
    I was in. I have changed how I fill out my pain chart I was not at 7 or 8 before the
    med cut, except a few days. I am so passionate about this subject it is hard
    for me even deal with it. People have to control their pain in any way they can
    and then the meds. All the different meds have caused me so many health
    issues and now I deal with them. Once I do get out of this hole I am
    going to watch what I do and enjoy my life but not do things that will cause
    pain that requires more meds. Sorry to go on I just want to tell how it
    can end up. I even like others give up, have got my things in order not thinking I
    could go on or wanting to.
    I hope when I am through with this challenge that my Doctor and I
    can put together a plan to control my pain.
    Sorry I repeat myself I know but I just care about others and only want
    the best for them.
    Sherri