Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Has anyone been pregnant after a spinal fusion?? Is it safe?

LaurenBrianneLLaurenBrianne Posts: 25
edited 03/31/2014 - 1:45 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For those that don't know my story, my name is Lauren, and I am 21 years old. I have suffered from multiple spinal issues for almost 3 years, including severe sciatica. I had a microdiscectomy last year for a severe disc herniation, but my problems didn't stop there. I also have stenosis and a titled pelvis, but now my disc space has collapsed and I am getting an anterior fusion at L5-S1 next month. Since it's anterior, my surgeon is going through my abdomen and placing cages and taking bone graft from my hip.
I'm wondering if there is anyone who had children after going through a spinal fusion? My fiancee and I have one beautiful little girl already, but we really want another child, and have been wanting one for a while. So has anyone gone through a pregnancy after suffering from back issues and surgery? If so, how long will it be until I am able to become pregnant? I plan on asking my surgeon about this, but was just looking for advice from those who have gone through it. Also, the doctors I have seen believe that my first pregnancy may have been the trigger for some of these problems I have, so I'm worried I may not be able to have another child.
Lauren Davidson
advertisement

Comments

• Totally possible... you will want to speak with your surgeon and your next visit specifically...but basically the "usual" things is just to wait until fusion has occurred.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • My pregnancies were tough on my back and may have accelerated some of the disc deterioration and collapse, but I had the injury prior to becoming pregnant. You just have to be very careful with yourself and move slowly. In a perfect world, I would also love to add to my family. I've been told my 360 degree fusion will pretty much imply a c section delivery, which is fine by me, as my first two children arrived by the same means.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • advertisement
  • The only thing I'm worried about is that my first pregnancy was very tough on my back, obviously, since it's suspected to be the aggravation of all of these problems. But I did talk about this to my gyno and she said it would most likely be a c-section delivery if I have a child after the fusion. I don't have a problem with it, since they would possibly even be able to use the same scar.
    Lauren Davidson
  • I had a one level MIS TLIF (L5/S1) on May 1, 2013 and at 6 months out was told I was 100% fused and had no limitations. I am now 14 weeks pregnant with my first and due October 1, 2014. I spoke with my surgeon before conceiving and he told me that my fusion would not limit the ability for me to carry and deliver a child, but to ensure that I go over it with my OB. My OB is okay with everything as long as my surgeon is.... :-D. I'm experiencing some back pain, and some stiffness but it isn't anything in comparison to what I had before my surgery. I am waiting to meet with an anesthesiologist later in pregnancy to discuss epidural, spinal block, etc. So far so good.....
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • That is awesome to hear! I am very happy for you. Children are one of the best parts of life and to have your first on the way is exciting! Let us know how you're doing and especially how things work out for you re: spinal block. I absolutely adore my two little children, and would love to someday have a third. Good luck and best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • advertisement
  • So far things are going okay, just some numbness in my thighs when sitting. My back, itself, is not bothering me (even though I expect it to). We are excited to welcome this little one in October and today marks 15 weeks pregnant! :) I will surely keep you all updated, I see my neurosurgeon on 5/2 for my 1 year appoointment and perhaps he can shed some light on anything I need to know for delivery.
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
advertisement