Hello - I have significant cervical stenosis (according to an MRI) at c5-6, c6-7, but thanks to physical therapy and rehab, I have been able to hold off on surgery for about 2 years.
My symptoms (weakness in the arms, wobbly legs, loss of balance, foggy head syndrome) are getting worse, so I am again contemplating surgery, but had a question for the forum.
The primary reason that I held off having surgery in the beginning was because I am only 40 years old, and didn't want to do a two level spinal fusion. I preferred to go through the challenges of physical therapy, rather than take the risk that fusion might cause 10-20 years down the road.
However, I found a couple of new technologies (disc replacement) that now have FDA approval. I know of a doctor in my area who specializes in Mobi-C disc replacement, and I trust him, but I'm concerned that I might be jumping into this too early. Is the technology developed, or does it need more time? I see that the Mobi-C is the first 2nd generation device, but I'm not sure what this means? I can't find information on what "2nd generation" really means? And what will 3rd generation devices bring? Is it worth waiting, if I can?
Of course, I would wait as long as my symptoms would allow - but like I said, they are getting worse. If I can be confident that the Mobi-C (or other disc replacement technology) is the best possible option for years to come, then I think I may go for the surgery.