Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ARTHRITIS

advertisement

Comments

• If it ever gets to the time when you take biologics feel free to look me up. It was not an easy decision to start the biologics but after We talked with the doctor in great detail along with my PCP we all felt it was the right decision. Just talk to your doctor, there are many treatment options out there.
    alif l4-s1
  • Taren,
    My fingers are doing the exact same as yours, at first I thought I was imagining things. On my index fingers the uper 2 joints are almost 45 degrees off of the rest of the finger, no denying that.
    I had ACDF C4-C7 on Jan 20. I go in next week to find out if they are fusing and when I can dump this neck torture device. I've been unable to find a comfortable sleeping position in bed and still sleeping in the recliner which affects my lower back l4/l5 and .5/s1 are dessicated (dry, non-existent).
    I do rather well with the pain most days and try not to let anyone but very close family/freinds know how I'm doing. I have had to cancel social engagements and work parties because of it, but I will continue to garden (currently in pots only) as the plants and flowers help my mood. I have a 8 foot high by 15 feet long wall of climbing roses and clematis that are about to bloom, that should help my mood.
    As far as giving the shots of humira the are two delivery methods, a syringe or spring loaded pin and you can give it in the stomach or the thigh. I have overactive nerves in my thigh and I only tried once, very painful. I used the syringe in my stomach where I could control the rate of injection which prevented any pain, but did have several nice bruises on my stomache.
    I had lots of practice as with 3 of my knee operations I had to give myself blood thinners in the stomache. Let us know what you decide to do.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • advertisement
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 04/07/2014 - 11:37 AM
    to all of the arthritis posters, have any of you had the test where radioactive dye was injected into you to check for arthritis? i had it done for my spine when i first had spine issues and it was ordered by my orthopedic surgeon at the time. they inject it and you have to wait for about an hour then they take pictures that show up with color legends that show where the arthritis is. mine turned out negative. this was done about 15 years ago so it don't know if they still do it.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Yes, I have had several radioactive dye injection scans done but not for arthritis. It was called radiopeptide, is that the same thing, I wonder.

mjd, ty I'm sure here pretty soon, I will need to talk about all this with you. I see my dr again in may and the way my joints are feeling I know we will be discussing some kind of treatment plan as I feel so achey and my joints hurt pretty bad most all the time. Today I have quiet a bit of swelling in my fingers and the middle joints of my fingers are huge & I have had a fever all day....do either of you have fevers with this?

Dave, I hope next week you get good news and can dump, as you call it, the neck torture device lol--that is a very accurate name for it. I slept in my recliner too while I was recovering, it was just so much more comfortable. I have some very painful lumbar and leg issues going on now too and I can see how the recliner can affect that area-I'm not comfortable leaning back in mine either at the moment. I seem more comfortable sleeping on the couch now but I sure do miss my bed.

I'm with you, I don't let people know how I'm doing either. Only one's that know how I feel are my husband and my daughter. I don't even tell my mom (she doesn't care anyway) but that's another story.

I'm ready for flower season too. I love gardening, just don't believe I will get to do much of it this year but I know I will do all I can because I love to see all the different colors blooming at once & they all smell so good. What color are your roses? I'm sure all of the beautiful flowers will lift your spirits.

I will let you all know what I decide to do, but it will be May before I know anything else--and I'm hoping there's something I can take orally that will help me, at least for awhile before I have to take any bio-meds. Dave, I know about all about the bruises you get from injections. All around my navel is bruised from insulin shots--sure is heck getting old, huh?
  • My Osteoarthritis was diagnosed through MRI showing facet joint changes and multiple bone spur growths. I confirmed this diagnosis with my surgeon. I've never heard of that test so I'm not sure if it still exists.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • advertisement
  • I have never had a fever with any of my flare ups. My joints will swell up like a balloon the skin will turn red and my skin will become warm to the touch. I will say my rheumatologist will not prescribe prescription narcotics. And I don't know if they would work as I have had a flare while I have been on the meds for my back and they did nothing to take away RA pain. Maybe if they were stronger?? I have no idea, but I have no desire to take them any longer than I have to. The prednisone declining doses usually knock it down within 24-48 hours. Besides taking too many drugs is bad for your liver.
    alif l4-s1
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 480
    edited 04/08/2014 - 6:36 AM
    Jon, they still do the nuclear test. I have had 2 bone scans to try and help diagnose issues. they inject the isotope and you wait an hour and then they take either x-ray of a specific joint or scan your whole skeleton. the isotopes tend to migrate to areas of the body where there is significant (don't know the exact process) activity and will highlight joints that are currently being affected by RA or other inflamatory processes. I had some activity that showed on my spine, knees and hands, but were not deemed to be "immediate concern". They did correlate to my painful areas.
    Taren - the climbing roses are flame red with white and purple clematis growing on the same trellis. I also have some blue roses and two rose trees that have white and purple roses. I was able to plant violas and hyacinth last fall so those are currently blooming along with the daffodils. I have raised planters that are around the front porch so I will be able to get some color in when the spring blooms fade in the beds. I'm having to hire someone to help with the Fish Pond in my back yard as I can't lift the water lily pots to fertilize and also to clean the filters from the winter.
    MJD, the only thing that helped with my arthritis pain was Bextra which they took of the market. When I was on it I actually had no joint pain at all, they should give us a choice if we are willing to take the risk as the side effects aren't any worse than the biologics.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • thanks dave. i think i had every test under the sun when first diagnosed with sciatica. the disography and mri pretty much synched the deal, but to be thorough, the doctor ordered this test. i thought it was a bit overboard since i had all of these other tests but he was the doctor and he did not want to rule anything out. i guess he wanted to make sure that i did not have arthiritis along with sciatica. i spent so much money on him i believe i sent him to europe with my money.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Ha ha ha! I've funded some pretty cool vacations too! I'd never even heard of that test. I just had a consult & some blood tests.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • by the way, my wife uses me at night because since i had the test, i now glow in the dark. when she takes out the garbage, iw walk with her to protect her from muggers but to also light up the way. i make a good reading lamp also especially if a light bulb goes out. she just twists my ear and i go on glowing. the good news is that i don't burn out like a light bulb.
    jon
advertisement