Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Meds that dont help

Comments

• LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 04/12/2014 - 4:12 AM
    The Flexiril was the worst medication I've ever taken ( made me dizzy, nauseous, full body fatigue).
    Lyrica significantly lowered my brains ability to function.
    So far the Neurontin has been better mentally (causing decreased appetite) but I'm still increasing.
    I'm now off muscle relaxants because the only alternative offered ( Skelaxin) didn't help me in the past.
    No issues with the Percocet but I only get minimal relief from it.
    I've recently started Celebrex over Ibuprofen ( less pills I have to take).
    Personally, some of the side effects have outweighed the benefits. Im still working on taking the fewest meds possible while getting pain relief. It's not a easy process and hopefully you and your Dr can be on the same page when it comes to your medication regimen. I think it's clear from other posts that everyone reacts differently to medications.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Some meds I refuse to take from prior experience. Not because it was necessarily ineffective but the side effects were not worth the continued use. Prednisone is one of those. I take as few medications as possible and I have drawer full. The doc hands out ibuprofen, cyclobenzaprine and Vicodin like candy. What I know works more than anything in the med drawer is my staying as active and moving as possible and high dosages of quality magnesium. Magnesium Glycinate to be exact. My lower limbs contract and stiffen up if I run out for more than 10 or so days. Vicodin I will take when the pain is bad enough to be distracting as it just allows me to get a job done without having to stop because of the pain. This is what i think Vicodin and Oxycodone was developed for. Oxy is called hillbilly heroin for a reason.
  • advertisement
  • I have been on prednisone for 30 years, so I know all about how it can affect people. Because so many people here take it, I did a topic called Prednisone. In it, I talk about some of the side effects, & which can be long or short term.

In no way an I trying to change your mind about taking it, but if you read my post, maybe it will give you a better understanding of some of the side effects.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • As we have said numerous times, all medications have side effects.......the key when it comes to working with new medications to ease pain , is that you have to give them some time. In most cases, your body will acclimate to the medication rather quickly, and the side effects, mental confusion, sleepiness, fatigue all will subside. Muscle relaxers are notorious for causing drowsiness and fatigue when you first go on them........usually within a week or two, those side effects subside....
    Same thing with medications such as Lyrica or gabapentin- and especially after dose adjustments- it is why doctors want patients to give these medications some time before wanting to stop them, before you have had a chance to see the benefits, and have the side effects disappear or greatly reduced . With gabapentin and lyrica, you have to work your way up to the proper dose before the medication is going to be helpful in managing nerve pain, so you have to stick with it, for a month or so to get to the proper dosage and to allow your body to adjust.....
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 04/16/2014 - 5:48 PM
    I was on Lyrica for several months before trying the Neurontin. It was my surgeon that recommended the switch. I knew I couldn't return to work while on it and I still had quite a bit of nerve pain.
    I was on the Skelaxin for a couple months before surgery and I'm trying it again with hopes that it may help this time around.
    I personally couldn't stand to take the Flexiril one more day. My world was spinning (among other things) and I couldn't sleep until it wore off. I agree to give meds a try but that specific one was just not worth it for me.
    I feel we have to stay somewhat in tune to how medications are effecting us (good or bad) in order to find ones that help, and also so we are aware of side effects that could potentially be severe. I always consult with the Dr or nurse before making any changes.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • advertisement
advertisement