Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Help at my whits end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RishsdRRishsd Posts: 5
edited 04/09/2014 - 5:07 AM in Chronic Pain
Let me start from the beginning.

In 1995 I was in the ARMY. During basic training I injured my back not bad enough to have any surgery but bad enough to not complete basic. The ARMY decided that I was no longer medically fit to continue. They "tricked" me into signing a form EPTS "Existing Prior To Service". At 18 you do stupid things. Needless to say fighting them for 18 years even going as high as ARMY Board of review in Washington, I have given up on that.

In 2005 I was working and was asked to lift a concrete table top with help from another employe. This table top was not too heavy, but it herniate L4, L5. I went on workers comp. The owner of the company decided that I was faking it and fired me. The workers comp doctor did surgery, a disksceptmy (SP?). This surgery was 50% successful I worked off and on until 2008 when my wife had our first child.

Lifting my child and doing parenting things I injured my back even more. I was the stay at home dad and loved it. In 2011 I had another diskscepetmy on L4/L5. This was paid for on my own. Also scar tissue from the last surgery was removed. when I came out of the hospital I was so happy the only pain I was in was incision pain.

A couple of months later my pain came back. Since then I have lost my insurance and my wife had to take a $10,000 pay cut due to moving to a new state (she is a special education teacher). We have made some major cuts in how we live and we still live well.

When I was seeing doctors all the wanted to do is pump me with pain pills 10/325 hydro, and Valum. I hate those drugs 1st because I know what type of person it turns me into , 2nd 1 year ago I lost a family member due to an accidental overdose on these drugs. I decided using Marijuana. This drug works great, my pain is not gone but is manageable. here is the current problem we need more money. for me to get a decent paying job I have to pass a drug test, so I have stopped taking Marijuana (its been 2 weeks) I have no insurance to go to doctors nor can I afford to go to doctors. I went to the hospital October 2013 MRI results were:

L3/L4 Shallow broad-based disk bulge. Bilateral facet degeneration
L4/L5 disk bulge with superimposed right central intervertebral disk protrusion, minimally indenting the thecal sac. Annular fissure noted. minor facet degeneration.
L5/S1 broad-based disk bulge. Bilateral facet degeneration. mild right caudal neuroforaminal narrowing, no significant canal compromise
Impressions: Multilevel lumbar degenerative spondylotic changes. Modic type 1 changes L4 inferior endplate with associated Schmorl's node formation. No lumbar vertebral body fracture evident.

I can deal with the sciatic pain, but I cannot deal with the muscular pain in lower back right side. I have a hard time getting out of bed, walking, I cannot lift my child. to do the laundry I have to sit on the floor. Here are the things I have tried.

TENS unit
Accupuncture
Deep Tissue massage (never again it took me 2 hrs to get off the table)
Sweedish massage
pain pills
marijuana
Tylonol (I take 1000mg ever 6 hrs)
IB Profane (I take 800 mg every 6 hrs in-between the Tylonol)

2 things are going on here 1st I am venting. Thanks for reading. 2nd I want recommendations on what to do next. I am worried that I will not be able to perform at work. The pain gets so bad that suicide crosses my mind. Don't worry I would not I love my family too much to do that.

About me :
38yo male
280 lbs (I know I need to lose the weight and have been trying for the last 6 months)
always have been active

advertisement

Comments

• I read your post and can relate so much .I too have had spinal operations including a ALIF fusion .my problems are dealing with constant pain and the restrictions enforced on my life ..like doing the washing just bending down to load the washer is hell ..so I know where you're coming from .even though I have an electrical adjustable bed with a top end memory foam mattress I always wake in agony after around 2/3 hours its soul destroying I have tried all the things that you have mentioned .too TENS doesn't work on me now it help before the ALIF but now nothing ..just annoying .!! I have a massage back thing that I put on my recliner ..that just hurts ! the only thing that helps is lots of oxycontin ..I hate the stuff too but without it I could not cope ..don't get me wrong I am no where near where I want to be after I have taken it ,,it just takes the pain down from a 9.9 to an 8 ..just enough to make it bearable after 17 years I don't know how I can help you I am out of ideas myself .good luck to you mate
    tonyUK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/09/2014 - 6:08 AM
    Well, first if you signed an EPTS form, then I'd say you may as well give up trying to fight that one. They knew if you signed it that they would never be held responsible for your care. How did they trick you into signing this?

How did workers comp come to the conclusion you were faking a herniated disc--that is not something one can fake. If they fired you over this, I hope you had a good lawyer.

Those meds you mentioned can and will help you if you take them as your are directed to do by your dr (and please, I'm not insinuating that you did or do not) As far as marijuana goes, if you have been smoking it for some time, say a year or longer, it will take awhile to be out of your system. I am an advocate for "medical' marijuana-I do believe it has its place in medicine. Marinol, synthetic marijuana, helped me through a bad and long medical problem.

Have you ever had injections for your back pain? Any good results from that? Physical Therapy? Muscle relaxers or any of the other NSAIDS besides the Motrin? You are taking a lot of Tylenol and Motrin, be careful with all that because of the effects on your liver and the effects can be worse if you drink.

As far as health coverage goes, maybe ObamaCare could be an option for you to check on. However, I do, believe the last sign up date for the year was March, 31st. I'm not sure how all that works, but might be something you could check into. Sorry, I can't offer more help there.

One thing that I do that gives me relief is a hot soak in the tub with 2 cups Epsom salt (Dr. Teals sold at Wal-Mart) mixed with 1 cup of baking soda. Just an idea.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with all this pain you are experiencing, I know it can be hard and very trying at times. Maybe you could find a dr, explain your situation and maybe there are programs set up in your state for people that do not have health insurance, I don'tknow, just another thought.

Lastly, I'm so sorry about the loss of your family member. And ty for your service. Hope you are finding a way to have a manageable day with your pain. Take care, Rishsd
  • advertisement
  • RishsdRRishsd Posts: 5
    edited 04/09/2014 - 6:57 AM
    Taren said:
    Well, first if you signed an EPTS form, then I'd say you may as well give up trying to fight that one. They knew if you signed it that they would never be held responsible for your care. How did they trick you into signing this?

(((I was getting 3-4 hrs of sleep a night pulling extra duties. I was told you can ether sign this paper and get out next week or stay in basic training for a year jumping from unit to unit until my case was decided. (knowing what I know now they would have sent me home and reviewed it) ))))

How did workers comp come to the conclusion you were faking a herniated disc--that is not something one can fake. If they fired you over this, I hope you had a good lawyer.

((((Workermans comp did not say I was faking it. My boss did. You know doctors do surgery just for the hell of it…. SC can fire you for any reason, except while you are on workers comp, my lawyer said he could get me my job back but they could just fire you later for being early, late, or anything else.))))

Those meds you mentioned can and will help you if you take them as your are directed to do by your dr (and please, I'm not insinuating that you did or do not) As far as marijuana goes, if you have been smoking it for some time, say a year or longer, it will take awhile to be out of your system. I am an advocate for "medical' marijuana-I do believe it has its place in medicine. Marinol, synthetic marijuana, helped me through a bad and long medical problem.

((((Marijuana has a maximum detection at 30 days no matter how long you have been using. I cannot afford to go to the doctor to get any pain meds so I will have to use what is available to me. Marinol has known deaths, Marajuana has never killed anyone from drug overdoses.I bought a at home drug test yesterday and passed.))))

Have you ever had injections for your back pain? Any good results from that? Physical Therapy? Muscle relaxers or any of the other NSAIDS besides the Motrin? You are taking a lot of Tylenol and Motrin, be careful with all that because of the effects on your liver and the effects can be worse if you drink.

(((Yes I have had multiple spinal injections. They have never worked for me. I have had physical Therapy twice 1st time for 6 months the second time for 2 months.Yes I know the side affects of Tylonol and Motrin. I have to take Previcid to counteract some of the effects of these drugs. I have taking flexiral (did not work for me), Soma (works but makes me lethargic), and valum (works but makes me lethargic) ))

As far as health coverage goes, maybe ObamaCare could be an option for you to check on. However, I do, believe the last sign up date for the year was March, 31st. I'm not sure how all that works, but might be something you could check into. Sorry, I can't offer more help there.

(((ObamaCare is a JOKE I looked into it and they want $500 a month for insurance for me. ))))

One thing that I do that gives me relief is a hot soak in the tub with 2 cups Epsom salt (Dr. Teals sold at Wal-Mart) mixed with 1 cup of baking soda. Just an idea.

((((I take baths nightly in a soaking tub. I will have to try the Epsom salt. and baking soda.)))))

I'm sorry you are having to deal with all this pain you are experiencing, I know it can be hard and very trying at times. Maybe you could find a dr, explain your situation and maybe there are programs set up in your state for people that do not have health insurance, I don'tknow, just another thought.

Lastly, I'm so sorry about the loss of your family member. And ty for your service. Hope you are finding a way to have a manageable day with your pain. Take care, Rishsd
    Read the quotes in your response above. Thanks your your detailed response...
    edited 04/09/2014 - 6:38 AM
    sandi said:
    I am going to include a few links for you to look at........that might help shed some light on what steps you can take to get things improving. I assume that you are covered under your wife's insurance now?

http://admin.spine-health.com/forum/conditions/arthritis-osteoarthritis/arthrisits-help
    http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/whats-a-herniated-disc-pinched-nerve-bulging-disc (ignore the pinched nerve part)
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/spinal-injections/esi-101
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/diagnostic-tests/getting-accurate-back-pain-diagnosis
    I will review these links. Here in the state of Florida family plans for state employes are very expensive, for my son and I it was close to $800 a month. When we lived in South Carolina a family plan was only $350 a month. My wife's take home is only $2200 a month. we were able to get our child on Florida's healthy kids plan for $100 a month. Thanks for your time...
  • advertisement
    edited 04/09/2014 - 6:42 AM
    The main purpose for me to get a good paying job is so I can get insurance. I am looking into being a paraprofessional in the school district so I can get insurance and be able to have back surgery in the summer.
  • I'm so sorry that I could not be of more help, Rishsd. I hope things work out for you and you can get health insurance and then the back surgery you need. Maybe another member will come along and can offer more help than I was able to give to you.
  • Taren said:
    I'm so sorry that I could not be of more help, Rishsd. I hope things work out for you and you can get health insurance and then the back surgery you need. Maybe another member will come along and can offer more help than I was able to give to you.
    Thank you. Forums like this allow people like myself vent to people that understand what we are going through. I try not to complain to my wife because I don't want to burden her with my problems. Trust me she knows when I am in pain. I would not be able to get through this without her.
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/09/2014 - 7:47 AM
    Same here Rishsd, I try not to let on to my husband, but its obvious and he knows. He's always trying to get me to take it easy. Like, you with your wife, my husband is my rock. If I have to go down the chronic pain road, I'm so glad it's with him, he's so very understanding about all this, he takes very good care of me.
  • I wish they would legalize marijuana. It has sooooo many great uses including pain relief, and it does so much less damage to the liver. It is crazy that alcohol and tobacco is legal but marijuana isn't. I think its jsut because it would mess with the pharmaceutical companies money. Good luck on a new job mate. I recently moved to Australia and thank God they have free medical for people. It really amazes me that the strongest nation in the world is still struggling to get a free medical service for people that are on low incomes or cant get insurance.
    I think moving here to Australia was the best thing i could have ever done. The pay is better, there is free doctors, if you dont feel up to going to the doctor there are ones that will come to your house for free.
    Now if only i could find some way to relieve my back pain it would be great.I think i have tried everything except the illegal drugs and drug pumps.
    tommy
advertisement