Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

worst thing someone has said to you on your pain journey?

• paininohio- i understand, everytime I would go to the ER and they would see my meds they AUTOMATICALLY assume everytime that ive run out of my meds and im there for narcs. im always like OMG. no. ive got what I need. Treat me like a normal patient that isnt on pain management! and find out what the heck is wrong with me!!! but it never fails. as soon as they see narcotics they automatically assume im there for drugs. UGH. :/
    (12.24.13) L2-L3 Laminectomy, Discectomy and Coflex insertion. DX'ed with Ankylosing Spondylitis on 5/13/14
  • i am the most beloved person on the fact of the earth and everyone treats me with respect. remember eye luv u! my students open up the doors for me and the teachers buy me coffee and lunch so i have never had someone say anything bad about me well except my wife she says jon you are a lazy, good for nutin, idiotic........ and then says but i still love you
    jon the perfect one
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • A doctor told me once that I did not need any pain medications because he has back pain also and never needs any pain medication for it While I was sitting there with my mouth open looking at him in shock I wondered if he wanted me to get into a cheerleading outfit and get my pom-poms out and do a cheer for him or something..
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,632
    Remember the past is the past... No one needs to deal with that again.
    Now that you are set into the same scenario I am in, Retirement, you and Mrs Jon should spend a lot more time together!
    Now is the time for both of you - Enjoy it
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ron
    as usual you are the wise one and i will take your advice. unfortunately ms jon still has to work for another 10 years so i will enjoy my retirement while i watch my wife work. she loves it when it say that. jon you are a ........
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • thing anyone said to me was on the very first time I was forced to use a wheelchair. Feeling a little awkward as you do a neighbour friend of my wife came up stooped down, patted my cheek and said "are we out in our pram then?" I could have hit the damn woman, and she thought it funny. At the time I was 69 years old.
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,032
    If that was me I would have just said in a normal voice...no I am in my wheelchair.......depending how you feel you could add I am sorry you can't tell the difference.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • lunarminxllunarminx Posts: 9
    edited 04/17/2014 - 12:18 PM
    1992- PA says you do not have a UTI, I have no idea why you are in pain. Three weeks later in ER, admitted with a stuck kidney stone. Ran over 105 temp for 3 days, my kidney 3 times its normal size.

Present- Sister asking if I want to talk my grandson to the zoo.. I can barely stand for 10 minutes now....

I really dislike doctors period. I watched one who I worked for gripe about a PA that worked for him being out so long for back surgery and not coming back soon enough. When he turned out to still be in a lot of pain, he had no sympathy for the guy. He actually acted like the PA was faking it. No way I was mentioning my pain on my bad days.
  • epidural3eepidural3 Posts: 10
    edited 04/17/2014 - 3:55 PM
    First one was my OB-GYN [ 40 years ago] stop crying, your such a baby- while I was giving birth to my son with no pain meds.
    next was a young-ish pcp I had, who, though she did run a lot of tests, couldn't figure out why I was in pain. After multiple trips to her office she finally gave me a small script for vicodin, but warned me that she wouldn't prescribe "ad-nauseum" [ hate that phrase] When she had to take off from work for surgery, she came back with a new attitude. The final straw was when her associate dr. was out in the hall and asked the pa if I was there for the "same old, same old" I asked for a copy of my records and never looked back.
    Next was a gastro dr. [ who I liked] that told me to "suck it up" when I told him the prep for a colonoscopy was really hard on my system [ I also have IBD, on top of stenosis and bulging discs, and arthritis]
    Next was similar to the above poster, I was experiencing incredible pain and the pa in my pcp's office called in a script for a uti, and I told her, wait a minute, I've had plenty of uti's in my lifetime, this isn't one. She insisted I take the meds, next morning I call the office to tell her it's no better,she says I'm not co-operating and to finish the meds. I ended up in the hospital for three days with a very sharp kidney stone for my troubles. The bright spot was a wonderfull nurse who took care of me while I was there. She always made sure I had pain meds and anti nausea meds.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other stories, but I think it was the remarks from the "professionals" that really got me.
    Don't get me wrong, I've had some pretty great Dr.'s/ staff, so I guess you have to weigh good with bad....
  • This was said to me by one of my PTs. Then, I am the type of person to take this seriously, doubted myself that day. I know now that the pain is real, and just because someone with some medical type of training says something, it doesn't mean it's true.
    I need to get a weekly pill box too...
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak